New weapons in Aftermath

wbcheater said:
since hl2 is already out is ok to talk much about the beta?

they had a bunch of sweet weapons.
just in case im not supposed to
they had a sniper rifle in the beta i really dissapointed when it didnt make the cut
they also had a flare you could light things on fire with.
they had an ice axe for some inkiwn reason,
i cant quite remeber the rest but there was a bunch of cool stuff.
People are openly talking about the Missing Information mod, which is just the Beta under the guise of a slightly questionably kosher mod. All those weapons are in it.

BTW, I'm glad the Sniper isn't in retail. Every game the world over has a goddamned sniper rifle, but how many have a crossbow?

Oh no, not the crossbow vs sniper rifle debate again!

If they put the gauss, snark and trip-mine in Aftermath I'll be happy.

Redneck said:
If they put the gauss, snark and trip-mine in Aftermath I'll be happy.
I agree with those. Gauss should have been available handheld, just like missing dialogue hinted that they'd take it off the car for you at the lighthouse. Snarks are just damned cool. I'd say the SLAM is a good candidate for inclusion as well, as it's been included in HL2:DM already.

I want a Gluon gun.

Who ya gonna call? Gordon Freeman!

Anyone who wants a sniper rifle needs their heads looked at. The crossbow is so many kinds of awesome: you need to be more skilled to use it than a sniper rifle, it's more individual, AND no sniper rifle can pin people to walls.
And there's no point in having both.

No gauss and gluon please. It sucks, especially in deathmatch.

The Gluon gun was the big back-pack Ghostbusters-type thing with the swirly blue beam, aka "egon gun".

el Chi said:
Anyone who wants a sniper rifle needs their heads looked at. The crossbow is so many kinds of awesome: you need to be more skilled to use it than a sniper rifle, it's more individual, AND no sniper rifle can pin people to walls.
And there's no point in having both.

Exactly. Nail on the mother ****ing head. Every other game has a sniper rifle. A cliched, pointless weapon when you've the awesome crossbow.

The crossbow has unrealistic range, especialy in Highway 17.
Sniper rifle acts similarly to HL2's crossbow, you also have to aim higher to shoot a distant object (parabolic movement).

I'm fine with the crossbow, though. But it seems odd - there are Combine snipers that fall out of windows without their weapon ;p

Przemek said:
The crossbow has unrealistic range, especialy in Highway 17.
Which just jars with the feel of the game when the rest of HL2's weaponary is so realistic :)

el Chi said:
Which just jars with the feel of the game when the rest of HL2's weaponary is so realistic :)

Heh, you got him with that one:LOL: .

I've never played HL2 DM, but I heared that the SLAM is some kind of multifunctional mine thing, is that true?

Yeah, it acts as both satchel charge and laser tripmine (ie: place it on a wall and tripmine, put it anywhere else and it's a charge.
Genius.

DeusExMachina said:
Yeah the SLAM is pretty awesome, but it'd probably never work in HL2 SP.
But it works in Half-Life 1 and datadiscs....

Polaris said:
But it works in Half-Life 1 and datadiscs....

Yeah it did work in HL1 and it made for some fun situations, ex: put trip mine on wall, tell scientist to follow you and boom.
In addition to the weapons I've said, I would also like it if they put a molotov cocktail or incendiary grenades:naughty: . What freedom fighter doesn't use molotov cocktails?
It would be good if they put melee attack on the rifles and hand guns.
It would be interesting if you had personal drones, that you could use to scout the area or engage enemies, by remote controlling them or setting them on automatic.

Something like a slam would only work if the Combine did patrols, and considering the fact that the city will be in utter chaos, with aliens bursting into the city (such as ant lions), I doubt the Combine soldiers will have much time to walk around happily.

Back