Newb question on custom textures

O

onyx86

OK, so ive been wanting to make my own maps since I tried with Doom 1. Im a computer animator/modeler so I have experience in 3D, but not game creation.

I can't seem to get my custom textures to appear in Hammer. Im editing for Half-Life 2 Single Player.

So I followed the tutorial here:
http://www.snarkpit.net/editing.php?page=tutorials&game=HL2&id=121

on making your own VTF files and corresponding VTM file. However, after I am done and have made sure the VTF and VTM files are in the /materials/customtex folder, I restart Hammer, but the textures aren't in there. I tried typing their names, as well as scrolling through looking for them.

My textures are here:

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\mysteamid\half-life 2\hl2\materials\customtex

The VTM files look like:
Code:
"LightmappedGeneric"

{

"$basetexture" "customtex/[I]filename[/I]"

}
Of course filename is replaced by the actual textures name - ie:

Code:
"LightmappedGeneric"

{

"$basetexture" "customtex/007avodire"

}

first it's VMT, make sure you haven't erroniously named it VTM, make sure your base TGA is either 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, or some variation of these sizes, i.e. 256x512 will also work, before dragging and dropping onto vtex.exe.
If you have done everything to the letter and it STILL doesn't show up, then you may want to run your SDK launcher, and click "reset game configurations". If you have any mods installed, they may be to blame. Sometimes with mods hammer gets misdirected and is looking for custom materials inside another folder.

Wow thanks efter, it was the mispelling. I feel like an idiot. It was really late when I read that tutorial.

Back