Newbie Idiot Needs Help with Cinematic Mod

davros01

Reaction score
Dear All

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have Vista 32 Bit and Half Life 2 Installed on it and Steam.

I love Half Life and have played through it once a year since it came out.

I just discovered the Cinematic Fake Factory Mod, and have tried installing it, I wanted to play through the game again and the episodes, with new updated textures etc, just to see the game "updated/different!"

I have installed Half Life 2, installed the Cinematic Mod v9 Base, using the setup exe that came with it. Its the 4 gig download version.

All I get when I try to run Half life 2 from the all Programs / FakeFactory cm9 shortcut on the start button, is this error message -

MountAppFilesystem () failled: You dont have all GCFs needed to play this game.

Can anyone help me? Is there a guide on here or on the net, with step by step instructions on how to set up this mod??? I have downloaded and installed episode 1 as well, but it still wont run with that installed.

Can anyone tell me what the correct directory structure, in the STEAM folder would be, to get the FakeFactory mod running?

Any help, guides would be most appreciated!

Many thanks in advance and I am off to read some of the other great threads on here for a while!

Cant wait for Episode 3, I just wish they had released it as all one sequel so we could play it without the months long waits inbetween. I am not a fan of episode gaming, I just want to play it!

You do have Half-Life 2, Episode 1 and Episode 2 right? Make sure each one has been launched at least once. If you've not launched them then sometime it won't recognise that you have them.

I see ok.

Well I have episode 1 and 2, but only ep 1 is installed. I will install episode 2 now.

What is the Directory structire for them? Eg. Do they have to go in the source mods folder?

Does the folder need to be called Ep1, Episode 1, Half life - Episode 1 or what ??

What is it called please.

My directory structure is -

Steam / SteamApps / MySteamUsername /

Then in the My Steam User Name folder there is the folder called Half-Life 2
and a folder called Half-Life 2 Epsiode One

I have been battling for a week to get this thing running so please keep up the advice!

Cheers!

Why do you need the directory structure? Just install and download the games, then install CM.

Don't worry the installer will do that for you. All you need is to have Episode 2 and Half-Life 2 installed and ran atleast once. The error message you are getting is that it's failing to launch because it's missing those games.
It should install in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\FAKEFACTORY_CM9"
If you want to play EP1 in that mod then go to it's folder and run "Launcher_EP1.exe"

I give up

I have installed half life 2 episode 2, Episode 1 and Half life.

I have tried running episode 1, it just shows the valve splash screen and quits to the desktop. I tried running episode 2 and it gave me some error message about how the config text was not in the right folder. I copied it to the hl2 dir in the episode 2 folder, the game starts, gets to the setup screen, then wont run. You click new game and nothing happens at all.

I tried the fake factory mod startup again and got the same stupid not enough gfcs to play message. I could SCREAM!

I want the dir structure, because I dont think the mods know the epsiodes are there, because they are not named right, even though I have installed them.

Its no wonder people use consoles, you just put the disk in and play...

Any more ideas or help please???

Ok

I uninstalled Everything

I then Reinstalled Half Life 2, Episode 1 and 2

I ran each game and played them for a few minutes to be sure they worked.

Then I re installed Fake factory mod cm9 base.

I replayed a few minutes of each game.

I then tried the Launch hl2 icon from within the FakeFactory Folder

SAME ERROR MESSAGE!!!

MountAppFilesystem failed. You dont have all the GCFS needed to play this game.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????????!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 4 hard drives on my pc. Its a monster rig. All my games are installed on the E: drive in a folder called GAMES. Steam is in there.

So the DIR structure is -

E:\games\steam\davros01\

In the davros 01 Folder are my installed games in folders called

Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2 Episode One
Half-Life 2 Episode Two

Then in the Source Mods Folder there is a folder called FAKEFACTORY_CM9

In that folder it has yet more half life folders called ep2 , ep2_german , episodic , hl2 , hl2_german

And so on. Is the installed version of Episode 2 supposed to be moved into here somehow?????????? I have never had steam on my C: drive, because if the pc were to fail, I would loose all my games and photos etc, so I have them spread over the other 3 drives. I just dont know what else to do now. I have included some screen shots, so any more help would be great!!! Each one shows where the files are and directory layout etc.

Is it not possible to just extract the new textures from the fakefactory mod and then copy them over the top of the original half life ones in the half life folder? Or do I need more stuff?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Help me someone!!!

Cheers!

Attachments

• scr1.jpg
    scr1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 491
  • scr2.jpg
    scr2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 469
  • scr3.jpg
    scr3.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 443