newbie keep getting wiped out

baxter

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok I admit it I have never played multiplayer before but last night decided to give it a shot. As I expected I got absolutely slaughtered.

I always thought I was ok at FPS and having completed many games, including HL2, was amazed at the ease at which other players seemed to take me out.

Other than practicing, running very fast and shooting everything insight could any of you veteran multiplayers pass on any tips and hints on ways to survive for more than 30 seconds ?

Cheers Baxter :cheers:

baxter said:
Hi all,

Ok I admit it I have never played multiplayer before but last night decided to give it a shot. As I expected I got absolutely slaughtered.

I always thought I was ok at FPS and having completed many games, including HL2, was amazed at the ease at which other players seemed to take me out.

Other than practicing, running very fast and shooting everything insight could any of you veteran multiplayers pass on any tips and hints on ways to survive for more than 30 seconds ?

Cheers Baxter :cheers:
Keep playing. Singeplayer is sooooo much easier than multiplayer. Keep practising, it's that simple.

Well, practice makes perfect.
Try CSS for a few minutes, see how hard that is. :)
But you'll love it when you get a kill.
My tip is, learn from the others, and practice a lot.
Even the pro's started as a noob once. ;)

* Never run in a straight line, always strafe (makes you a harder target to hit)
* Always strafe, duck whatever it takes to get out of line of fire while shooting to the head (of your opponenet)
* Never camp for more then 1 minute, always be on a move and you'll have better chance of getting frags and surviving
* Always reload, ALWAYS!
* Get familiar with weapons and know which one is more powerful and which one is good for which situation.

Thats all I can think of for now, I've played MP since Quake 2 ... so I have some experience.

After a while you will notice you develop habits in maps you know well:
You always run down here, grab the shotty, run up there and grab armour, then to here and grab that... and so on. The trick is to use this when you join a map, but then change it as soon as anyone figures you out. Once you stop using it, just try to randomise. Predictibility is death in deathmatch, especially on small servers.

Oh, and I have been playing since quake 1. So I have some experiense

Put that in your pipe and smoke it Skyline. ;) j/k

i have been playing MP since Marathon 2.. on appletalk.. wow old school

need a larger pipe, Link ? :rolleyes:

Smart arse. Waiter, better bring me a bong.

And an appletalk. Lets settle this ;)

all i'm asking is being able to dig up a couple of old macs and do some really 0|_|) ZK00|_ lan action :upstare:

I tried multiplayer in the internet the first time last week, and can´t remember when was the last time I had so much fun. :)
Ive played multiplayer since Doom (lan) so the early practise does help a bit, tho CSS took some time to get used to :D
I think you should try HL2 deatchmatch 1 on 1 first. It´ll be more fun at the beginning and theres no need to run like a maniac all the time. :)

There is no skill involved in DM it is a free for all. Other games have other modes like CTF and Domination etc. Those require knowledge of the map, familiar with each weapons strengths and weaknesses, and practice!

I played Doom on Dwango and Duke Nukem 3d on a 14.4 Modem :)

No skill in DM? All multiplayer games take skill. They are different for each type of game.

14.4 modem, those were the days weren't they? lol

Unlike AI NPC's, human opponents can be unpredictable. The best way to beat them is to vary your strategies from time to time, to make them change their stance against you and vary their own strategy.

Some Tips

Circle Strafe- What can be more humiliating for your opponent than constantly battering his face with a crowbar whilst runnin around him (Okay crowbar is not the best weapon).

Try and find an RPG and Cache- Its hard to reach the RPG cache on DE_OVERWATCH but some user made maps also have one or two of these babies. You will find that one or two well aimed shots will kill an opponent. These weapons are very useful if you will camp around a spawn point.

Use The Manipulator (Okay its not the best weapon to have if theres not much debris, depending on the amount of debris to pick up. plus it forces you to walk, you can't see where you'll be shooting if you don't expose your face to enemy fire, etc). Realise that picking up wooden boxes is not adviseable and that explosive barrels are definately not recommended as a shield

Prepare for a standoff- You might find that an opponent will keep to the manipulator. Advice, retreat till he's out of range, pick up a heavy item, wait till your opponents in range and fire. Either you will hit him and kill him, or he would of deflected the item either with his manipulator or with an prop of similar weight.

Well to put it lightly, I'm new to multiplayer myself, but you will pick up pretty fast. My advice to you is to have a few games of counterstrike: Source before anything. This is a shoot first, ask questions later game and is about responce time, agility, varying tactics, etc. You can learn from this game quite quickly and use some tactics in other games. Plus it helps you with mathematics and thinking as you will have to sacrifice you most liked weapon with other ones to conserve money with sales and purchases :E .

Pro[pH]et said:
No skill in DM? All multiplayer games take skill. They are different for each type of game.

14.4 modem, those were the days weren't they? lol

Bah, DM takes no skill supposedly, go over to the cs camp :x

28.8k modems own you. :LOL:

cheers for the tips.

been practising again this morning and notched up my first online kills, mind paid a heavy price for it. Hopefully from small Acorns.

Thanks Baxter

I remember when I first plaed CS. I played for two whole hours and got one kill. :p

Besides the obvious, strafe corners, know the map, etc:

Be prepared to switch between the manipulator and guns very quickly.
If you can't pic an object up in under a second, just shoot them. Amazing how people will keep the manipulator out after all objects in range have been thrown away.
Learn to catch objects thrown at you, and throw them back.
Never take on a revolver or a crossbow without a revolver or crossbow.
(Unless you're very close, a shotgun will do, and at a pinch the RPG)
Line up the crossbow shots. The extra half-second of aiming is offset by the instant kill.
You don't have to wait to see your crossbow bolt hit.
Use the manipulator to pull weapon pickups to you. If you don't want to venture into the open to grab it, just pull it over from a safe position.
You can pick up items from ammo crates by running up and pressing use, then running away. You'll still get your pickup although the box doesn't have time to open.
Aim low when throwing manipulator objects.

Don't bother to aim in the head in Hl2dm, theres no difference in damage, shoot the torso and you will miss less.

all good tips mentioned above.
One more thing. Make sure your abilty to run fast is full when encountering enemies, so you can strafe and dodge bullets at maximum speed for a while. Dont waste sprinting on trying to get a weapon a bit faster.

Bakurei said:
Don't bother to aim in the head in Hl2dm, theres no difference in damage, shoot the torso and you will miss less.
I beg to differ. Double Shotgun shot to the head is pretty much-100-damage :)

Anyway, people, I'm working on a guide for HL2DM with one.bi0_gauss (well, he's agreed to help) so you may wanna wait for that :D

My advice: forget about all the weapons but the Gravity Gun.

I generally stink at Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, and every deathmatch I've ever played, but I routinely finish first place in HL2DM, using only the Gravity Gun.

The Gravity Gun is so useful because it not only gives you a lot of one-hit kills, but is an excellent defensive tool as well. You can catch objects thrown at you, and deflect a lot of gunfire if you're holding an object. You can even catch the pulse rifle grenades!

Since most everyone else is busy using the regular weapons most of the time, they have absolutely no defense against the objects you hurl at them. A lot of times, people will get tired of throwing objects at you if you keep catching them, and they'll switch to a gun. This leaves them completely defenseless to a well-placed throw. Dead.

You don't need anything else. Get good with the Grav Gun and you'll be fine.

If your in a grav gun battle launch the object just by his/her feet. This way the object he is holding wont block it.

notmydesk said:
My advice: forget about all the weapons but the Gravity Gun.

I generally stink at Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, and every deathmatch I've ever played, but I routinely finish first place in HL2DM, using only the Gravity Gun.

The Gravity Gun is so useful because it not only gives you a lot of one-hit kills, but is an excellent defensive tool as well. You can catch objects thrown at you, and deflect a lot of gunfire if you're holding an object. You can even catch the pulse rifle grenades!

Since most everyone else is busy using the regular weapons most of the time, they have absolutely no defense against the objects you hurl at them. A lot of times, people will get tired of throwing objects at you if you keep catching them, and they'll switch to a gun. This leaves them completely defenseless to a well-placed throw. Dead.

You don't need anything else. Get good with the Grav Gun and you'll be fine.

I´ll remember that. But if someone is standing far away and someplace high, youd be very tempted to use the revolver or the crossbow for a change. :)
I think it gets kind of boring when some players only uses the other weapons, don´t even touch the gravity gun, and runs around with the magnum all the time and shoots you in the head.. :/
but I´m learning :p

Use a combo tbh, switch to gravgun, fire a physobject to distract someone, then shotty to the face :)

ComradeBadger said:
Anyway, people, I'm working on a guide for HL2DM with one.bi0_gauss (well, he's agreed to help) so you may wanna wait for that :D

Oh god, here we go, badgy don't mess the community up!!! j/k ;) if bi0.snark is helping you should be fine. ;)

Once again cheers for the tips,

As I was playing my ten year old son was peering over my shoulder, desperate for a go. Begrudgingly and I must admit somewhat smugly I let him have a shot.

He notched up 2 kills in less than 2 minutes; mind you he did take a pounding.

When he came off, his advice to me was “You’ve just got to get into the groove Dad”

Sound advice I think.

Cheers Baxter

lol - first, ALWAYS strafe, duck, dodge, jump, whatever. When reloading, stop and get into cover, if only for a second. Don't bother trying to use gravity gun yet, you'll probably end up dying more.

I'd say get your hands on the rocket launcher and just shoot in the general direction of the people.

The best way to get better is to practice, learn, and adapt. And practice some more. I've normally got a kills to deaths ratio of at leas 3:1 in CS:S, often higher, but that comes with years of practice.

HL2DM is tough, especially with the cluttered environments, high traffic through small areas, and latency.

FictiousWill said:
You grav-gun only noobs are going to get wiped.

Eh excuse me,

This was quite a pleasant light hearted thread, if you have a point to make, make it somewhere else

Back