Nice graphics, but.....

Seth064

Reaction score
Rite I know that the game has super sexy graphics n'all, but one thing that always catches my attention is the fact that nearly every surface has some sort of glare coming of it (most when they are showing out-side scenes). Now from what I have observed...the road in reality doesnt always have a glare.sheen coming of it unless it is wet, altho in HL2 there is always a sheen/glare. its the same sometimes in the scenes that are inside eg. The second movie shown on the 700mb vid, at the start it shows you walking thru what seems to be an apartment block and one thing that keeps catching my eye is the glare of some of the walls and floor. The apartment block is supossed to be run-down and dirty and filthy, yet the walls have a sheen of them as if the wallpaper was just put up yesterday, same with the floor, in some scenes it shows the glare coming from the floor..now i dont think that the floor is new so it shouldnt really have a sheen coming of it..LOL

Sorry for the long post.. tis just when I see things like this it gets to me as it makes the game look unrealistic and doesnt seem to make me want to get really invovled in it!

P.S. This is just one of them things that ye need to get off your chest, and since I have been reading your forums over the past week or so, I have noticed that people in here seem to rip the game apart piece by piece and analyse it :p.

Mabie it rained?

I honestly dont think the shine is that bad. I have noticed that it can be a bit much. But I think it looks really good.

Way better than Doom 3's "every thing in the game must look CGed" look.

If you look at some of the walls....they really do look freakn' dirty.

Look at the walls of the stairway in the apartment video. Those look damn dirty.

I hardly noticed a glare at all, only in a few places, and certainly not on a road. Maybe I have bad perception. Or I'm not as obsessive over such small details. :p

maybe a fire hydrant burst lol.

Usually people moan there isnt enough specular mapping. then you look at doom3, which kinda looks like monsoon season at a waxworks, no offence.

Quote:
Mabie it rained?

Where are the puddles :D

naw seriously like, the cobble streets shine, my tonw center is all cobble yet they dont shine in dry weather, even when the sun is really low and bright.

What's with the shitty spelling in this thread? Graduate the 1st grade and then we will talk.

The specularity in HL2 is done well, the amount of specularity and/or reflection isn't uniform, there are bits on the floor that are much shinier than other bits, unlike Doom 3 for example.

Attachments

• specular.JPG
    specular.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 369
Most of the things you are pointing out are just tech things. Some of them are lighting effects, and others are intentional and obvious to increase the realism factor, and to immerse the player more.

I am really tired though, and don't feel like getting into it. One of the other big tech freaks around here explain it all.

A lot of the sheen makes sense. The sheen in the apartment is from the varnished wood, but it isn't sheeny on the painted walls. And cobblestone streets can shine if they have the right sort of quartz gravel, which some do.

the reason for the wood floor is because there could be some floor finish on it. Ever notices wood floors in a house? how they are all shiny. Also you can see where the finish has been worn off and not reflecting anything.

yeh totally, well explained. .. and as for the roads ,, well there on the coast .... Sea spray , moist air, rain.. lots of reasons. lots,, :D

I was really impressed with that hardwood floor, it looks great. I have a hardwood floor in my house and it looks exactly like that, same shinyness and everything, except mine has skateboard wheel marks on it.

Lol, am just in an arguing mood atm......but I would say that new wooden floor would shine as obviously it is new, but by the look of them apartments, do you think there is a wee combine guy that goes round with a buffer machine every morning trying to make it look its best!!
Plus there are a sheen coming of the walls, you can only soo it when you are moving, so it wont show up in screenies unless it is a very good one tbh!

P.S. I know am bad at spelling, and the fact thatits 2:15 in the morning in the UK doesnt help much either!

also its good to remember the shakey cam vids can really overbright and exagerate brighter colors, ingame/bink it would be much more suttle.

Just watched the apartment block scene again, and I don't see what you are talking about. But I still don't understand what that combine says to you. It's something like "Don't move, we've come for your mom so get ready."

Rite in the scene where you walk up to the 2 guys standing looking out the window, and one of them say 'I thought you were the police'. Look at the wall as you approach the guys and you can see this sheen on it as if it is new!

I don't really see much of a sheen: it's light subtly reflecting off the wallpaper.

You'd be surprised at how many objects and how often it happens in real life.

Floor boards arent all shiny which is neat about it. It has parts where the shine has been worn off. Cool stuff... the game looks perfect to me.

Or maybe they tried to make it look like a glare form the sun.

Seth064 said:
Quote:
Mabie it rained?

Where are the puddles :D

naw seriously like, the cobble streets shine, my tonw center is all cobble yet they dont shine in dry weather, even when the sun is really low and bright.

well your cobble streets just SUCK! :sniper:

Seth064 said:
Rite I know that the game has super sexy graphics n'all, but one thing that always catches my attention is the fact that nearly every surface has some sort of glare coming of it (most when they are showing out-side scenes). Now from what I have observed...the road in reality doesnt always have a glare.sheen coming of it unless it is wet, altho in HL2 there is always a sheen/glare. its the same sometimes in the scenes that are inside eg. The second movie shown on the 700mb vid, at the start it shows you walking thru what seems to be an apartment block and one thing that keeps catching my eye is the glare of some of the walls and floor. The apartment block is supossed to be run-down and dirty and filthy, yet the walls have a sheen of them as if the wallpaper was just put up yesterday, same with the floor, in some scenes it shows the glare coming from the floor..now i dont think that the floor is new so it shouldnt really have a sheen coming of it..LOL

Sorry for the long post.. tis just when I see things like this it gets to me as it makes the game look unrealistic and doesnt seem to make me want to get really invovled in it!

P.S. This is just one of them things that ye need to get off your chest, and since I have been reading your forums over the past week or so, I have noticed that people in here seem to rip the game apart piece by piece and analyse it :p.
GLARE IS TEH PWNZOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ONE1111111!!!!!11

my friend's girlfriend has mad sheen on her face..so anything in the game that sheens, is possible. :thumbs:

I am sitting here looking at my wallpaper sheen right now ^^

In fact just about everything is sheening at the moment!

Omg's HL2 is so realistic :D

Xcellere said:
What's with the shitty spelling in this thread? Graduate the 1st grade and then we will talk.

wow your so big and strong AND you can spell !! now your the king of the world ...

really dude, dont post this shit on a public forum, for most of us english is a second language...

News Flash: Half-Life 2 is not real life.

It's the art style: it's supposed to look cool, not exactly like reality. Same goes for Doom 3.

Now now, I am king of the world. Let's not go crazy here.

The combine: efficient killing machines. They also have a soft spot for a bit of spring cleaning.

Best judge the graphical look when (and if) we get Bink versions of the E3 04 Vids. It really is hard to make judgement calls on graphical minutiae from low quality AVI movies.

This is bullshit, the glare ist overdone at all, yust look around and you'll see how many objects have a glare, even streets. Looking at the colour of the tarmac, it looks like the same tarmac used in my street, and guess what, it shines!

Come come guys, its a new game so naturally it shines...wait a few years and then see if it looks so good :p

Sheeeen. Shhhh-eee-eee-eeeEEEeeen. SheeEEeeen. Shhhhheeeen.

Sheen.

No, seriously, I don't see what all the fuss is about. The glossyness present on some objects is very well done, IMHO...

Back