No CD Key

C

cuber3

Today I went to the store and bought Day of Defeat: Source and HL² Episode One.
When I got home and opened the cases, I realised that there was no CD Key included with my Day of Defeat game.
I went back to the store, but the man from the store told me that each envelope has a CD and Key.
From what I recall, I remember him putting the HL² Episode One CD Key in the case, and the DoD CD.
I never saw him putting a CD Key in my DoD case, but I wasn't really paying attention either.
Now the guy checked his envelopes, and nope, no CD Key.
I cannot prove the guy didn't give me one, but neither do I have ANY idea where the CD Key went (if he did give me one).
He won't give me a CD Key, or refund me.
Any ideas what I could do ?
Or am I just screwed ?
I know it's just $19.95 or something, but I'm kinda short on money, and I spent my last cash on that game, and now I'm sitting here with my case and CD, but I can't play it :(
I preloaded it on steam, and I have the original CD and case, along with the receipt.
Anything I could do ?

yea thats the terrible thing with steam games no one will believe you. also does the store worry that much that they have to put the cds and cd keys in themselves??? ive never heard of a store doing that.

well... shouldnt the ( random guess ) bar code on the back say something about a CD key when you scan it... like with valve or something. ( i dont know what im talking about... more random guesses... ) but it sounds like your out of luck.

yea thats the terrible thing with steam games no one will believe you. also does the store worry that much that they have to put the cds and cd keys in themselves??? ive never heard of a store doing that.

Well, yeah.
It'd be a bit easy for people to steal stuff if they can just look around, and steal or write down a CD key they can easily find inside a case lying around the store.
I guess I'll have to save up for another copy *sigh*
What will I do with the CD and case I have, lol ?

Well, yeah.
It'd be a bit easy for people to steal stuff if they can just look around, and steal or write down a CD key they can easily find inside a case lying around the store.
I guess I'll have to save up for another copy *sigh*
What will I do with the CD and case I have, lol ?

basically the only value in buying from the store is the cd key. without it the cds are useless

Go back and exhange it for the same game. Tell him that it wouldnt install (because there is a mysterious scratch on the disk??) or something and that you need a new one. Just bring back everything they gave you. If they wont do anything... just make a big fuss in the store and dont leave unless you get it or they try calling security. Retail managers are always having a bad day when they are working and usually just give you what you want so they wont be arsed any more.

If you have a camera, send us a pic of all the content, including the box. This will gives us some information to lead up on.

Return as faulty (it is missing a component, so I suppose technically, it is faulty.. tell them it wont install)

Go back and exhange it for the same game. Tell him that it wouldnt install (because there is a mysterious scratch on the disk??) or something and that you need a new one. Just bring back everything they gave you. If they wont do anything... just make a big fuss in the store and dont leave unless you get it or they try calling security. Retail managers are always having a bad day when they are working and usually just give you what you want so they wont be arsed any more.

If you have a camera, send us a pic of all the content, including the box. This will gives us some information to lead up on.

first of all the store would still have to check for the cd key in the box/cd sleeves and what good would taking a picture do??

regardless, you have to get a cd key.. just ask someone else in the store.

"Hey, I bought this game from you [show receipt] and the packet for the DoD cd wasn't in the box, so there was no CD-Key for DoD, and the game wont install with out it. Can you replace this one please?"

In Australia, the law would definitely 100% be on your side.. Don't know about over there.

basically the only value in buying from the store is the cd key. without it the cds are useless

not true... I posted a question once before about steam asking for the CD after i typed in the CD key. I had bought HL2 Goty editioin for my friend and was too lazy to give him the box with the cd's so i just sent thim the CD key and he was telling me it was asking for the CDs... so in some cases the CDs arnt usesless.

Return as faulty (it is missing a component, so I suppose technically, it is faulty.. tell them it wont install)

Same in the UK. Assuming belgium law is similar, they have sold you a faulty product, they are obliged to replace it with a working one, or refund you the money. If they are not prepared to do so, talk to whatever is your equivilent of trading standards.

Back