no hl2 multiplayer

G

giraffen

a friend of mine sendt me this file which he found in the cracked cs:source.
it's a text file called gameinfo.txt which is located under hl2/scripts. it says:

// Valve Game Info file
// These are key/value pairs. Certain mods will use different settings.
//
GameInfo
{
game "HALF-LIFE 2"
title "HALF-LIFE'"
type singleplayer_only
}

so it seems there will not be a true hl2 multiplayer, just the cs:source.

Im not saying this isnt true, But i dont think that alone proves anything at all, how do you know the MP isnt a seperate steam mod, like CZ, just a thought.

a friend of mine who used to bunk in college with a guy that worked at PC World who once met a girl who dated a guy who bumped into another guy at the cinema that once worked for microsoft and saw Gabe leave for work sent me this file too

// Valve Game Info file
//
GameInfo
{
game "HALF-LIFE 2"
title "HALF-LIFE'"
engine "Doom 3"
}

I couldn't believe it, blew my mind, HL2 using the Doom 3 engine eh.

------------------------

No ok being serious though, I'd not look into it too much if I were you. It would be pretty silly if CS:S was the only MP for HL2, be a big waste and not a very good move on Valve's part. So yeah, I'd not worry until its confirmed by someone at Valve who isn't Doug I make it up as I go along Lombardi, no offence Doug, your still a cool guy, just a typical PR type person :)

Head_Crab_04 said:
well it would make sense. not sure how hl2 multiplayer would top cs:s

Yeah, I wonder how some kind of new multiplayer could top an old merely-okay game with little more than improved graphics.

There are better games than Counter-Strike, people.

Absinthe said:
Yeah, I wonder how some kind of new multiplayer could top an old merely-okay game with little more than improved graphics.

Tetris:Source MP

sorted.

Absinthe said:

like? doom 3??? :dozey:

The Dark Elf said:
a friend of mine who used to bunk in college with a guy that worked at PC World who once met a girl who dated a guy who bumped into another guy at the cinema that once worked for microsoft and saw Gabe leave for work sent me this file too

// Valve Game Info file
//
GameInfo
{
game "HALF-LIFE 2"
title "HALF-LIFE'"
engine "Doom 3"
}

Actually I got this from my friends father's mother's uncle's son's sister's imaginary boyfriend's dog's mistress's secertary, who knows Gabe's secretary;

Code:
// Valve Game Info file
//
GameInfo
{
game "HALF-LIFE 2"
title "HALF-LIFE'"
stolen 1
engine "Doom 3"
developer "UAC"
crkble 1
superpower "Umbrella Corp."
}

I haven't really gone to the bottom of it but I'm pretty sure it's true.

---------------------

On a more serious note, I just noticed the "original" text by the author is fake. Notice the *'* put in in the title "HALF-LIFE", behind the E. If VALVe wrote it, they'd never leave that kind of error in there. It's also highly noticble if you use notepad.

Buckaroo: Source! Check out the new physics engine as the pieces fly into your face! Woo!

Head_Crab_04 said:
like? doom 3??? :dozey:

Like Return to Castle Wolfenstein's MP.
Like Day of Defeat.
Like UT2K4's Onslaught mode.
Like Desert Combat.

HL2 certainly has the technology and versatility to pull of something great. Large areas, vehicles, great physics, and (if we're to believe Valve) can be modified to great extent. It's a good platform for innovation. Why the fuck would I want to go back to a five year old game with new graphics?

I'm seeing interesting gameplay a lot these days. Natural Selection did a damn good job at mixing RTS and FPS gameplay. The Ship Online, while quite unpolished at this early stage, has a damn cool concept. To leave HL2's multiplayer as CS just seems like a step backwards. Or, maybe not really a step backwards, but a refusal to move forward. And that can lead to stagnation.

Im pretty well sick of all the people saying there will be no hl2 multiplayer, or that its cs:s, really is annoying, and theres no point even trying to change there minds, as them getting some infomation wrong about hl2 could shatter there brains. Stupid fanboys...

The Mistress said:
Im pretty well sick of all the people saying there will be no hl2 multiplayer, or that its cs:s, really is annoying, and theres no point even trying to change there minds, as them getting some infomation wrong about hl2 could shatter there brains. Stupid fanboys...
yeah but its fun ****ing with them cause they believe anything ;)

You could take a photo of your house, stick the HL2 HUD on it, and you'd get ten seven page threads discussing why it is really a screenshot from the game, and then someone will say they spotted the easter egg in it.

How can anyone not have fun playing with minds like that :E

The Mistress said:

Well, they've given no hint of HL2 having it's own multiplayer. And when you're this close to shipping there's still no word of it, then I'm sort of left with only two realistic possibilities:

1.) HL2 will be delayed again because the MP isn't done.
2.) There is no HL2 MP.

The first seems unlikely to me, considering all the progress we've been hearing thus far, so I'm kind of left with the second one. I sincerely hope that Valve is just being bad with their PR again.

But in the meantime, please, educated this "stupid fanboy". Change my mind and show me something that hints at the possibility of HL2 shipping with its own MP.

don't forget that there are versions of hl2 that will be sold with no multiplayer access. they probably just copy/pasted some code from that for whatever reason.

1. When Sierra was still around, they had the SP verson and the MP verson, CS:S was something you could get as well, stand alone on steam. That should be enough to point out hl has its own multiplayer.

2. Gabe has said HL has its own multiplayer, thing is he desided to word it badly, and then show CS:S after it, thus everyone thinks CS:S is the multiplayer.

3. Counter strike is not half life, saying that its the multiplayer side of the game, its like saying tetris is doom 3's multiplayer. Stupid.

Those are my points, Mr. stupid fanboy, I wont post again as its plain to see your going to rip my points apart, bitch that im wrong, etc, but I cant think of a reply back t that, soo I wont bother. All will end when hl2 comes out anyways.

Wesisapie said:
no, there won't be a single player only version of hl2.

I said when Sierra was around, not now, they have changed it now. Theres only the Normall and the CE verson comeing out.

The Mistress said:
1. When Sierra was still around, they had the SP verson and the MP verson, CS:S was something you could get as well, stand alone on steam. That should be enough to point out hl has its own multiplayer.

2. Gabe has said HL has its own multiplayer, thing is he desided to word it badly, and then show CS:S after it, thus everyone thinks CS:S is the multiplayer.

3. Counter strike is not half life, saying that its the multiplayer side of the game, its like saying tetris is doom 3's multiplayer. Stupid.

Those are my points, Mr. stupid fanboy, I wont post again as its plain to see your going to rip my points apart, bitch that im wrong, etc, but I cant think of a reply back t that, soo I wont bother. All will end when hl2 comes out anyways.

Quoted for Emphasis :)

Mistress has a very valid first point, which we've discussed many times before.

HL2 was going to have a SP only, SP and MP, and CE edition, before Sierra shut down. This points to the fact that HL2 does have it's MP.

This was announced in 2003, while cliffe and Gabe said that work on cs:s had started in Jan 2004. Also, Gabe back in 2003 said he actually played the MP then (in a gamespot interview) and said it's as good as the SP.

So if work on cs:s started in Jan 2004, what was Gabe playing?...

The actual HL2 MP.

The Mistress said:
True, that was the case. But the exact details regarding those versions of HL2 still isn't all that clear. For all I know, going off of everything else I've heard, the MP version may just be HL2 + CS. Again, I don't know for certain. I'm just saying that I feel an HL2 MP is unlikely.

However, this point is valid.

Yeah, he just decided to word it badly for shits and giggles, eh? This and your next point are some of the weakest I've ever seen.

But there's nothing to point at the situation being otherwise. It is stupid, I agree. That's why I'm annoyed.

I rag on your points because they are weak, not just to spite you. I'm not going to bitch that you're wrong, because I'm in no position to do so. But your arguments are far from convincing. It's clear that you've already assumed my type of character, so perhaps it would be best if you don't reply to me since you're convinced that I'm just some pessimistic fanboy (which makes no sense, really) who can't see some sort of obvious answer (even though there is none at this time).

lans said:
Mistress has a very valid first point, which we've discussed many times before.

HL2 was going to have a SP only, SP and MP, and CE edition, before Sierra shut down. This points to the fact that HL2 does have it's MP.

This was announced in 2003, while cliffe and Gabe said that work on cs:s had started in Jan 2004. Also, Gabe back in 2003 said he actually played the MP then (in a gamespot interview) and said it's as good as the SP.

So if work on cs:s started in Jan 2004, what was Gabe playing?...

The actual HL2 MP.

Okay, you see, that is more reassuring. :)

I'm still kinda skeptical, but this is better information.

Yeah, he just decided to word it badly for shits and giggles, eh? This and your next point are some of the weakest I've ever seen.

If valve can hide the fact they are making a sequel to one of the most popular PC FPS games (this is the kind of thing the media doesn't like hidden from them at ALL costs) -sure they can hide the fact that they have a secret MP. So yeah, Gabe is doing that to surprise people with a supposed MP, as it's possible for them to hide a new engine and an upcoming gaming for five years.

lans said:
If valve can hide the fact they are making a sequel to one of the most popular PC FPS games (this is the kind of thing the media doesn't like hidden from them at ALL costs) -sure they can hide the fact that they have a secret MP. So yeah, Gabe is doing that to surprise people with a supposed MP, as it's possible for them to hide a new engine and an upcoming gaming for five years.

A media blackout is one thing. Bad wording for disguise? Very shaky reasoning if you ask me. The two aren't really the same. You would expect word of it by this stage. There's an entire world out there, and they're supposedly a few months away from shipping. If there isn't some kind of media blowout soon, then I find it unlikely that there ever will be.

P.S. Please don't interpret my posts the wrong way. I do want their to be HL2 MP, and I'm not going to be ignorant to solid information saying that there will be one. But the problem is that I see very little solid information. I'm reading theories and fan explanations, but only tiny snippets from Valve.

I heard they removed the single player version of HL2 as well...

I heard that HL2 is going to be multiplayer only, however, a single-player version of Half Life 2 could be made in a mod.

:rolleyes:

czrsink said:
I heard that HL2 is going to be multiplayer only, however, a single-player version of Half Life 2 could be made in a mod.

Yah me too...I blame Doug. ;)

Anyone who thinks HL2 won't have multiplayer besides CS:S is silly, and I laugh at thee.

czrsink said:

Holy shit. Half-Life 2 is a game! I heard it was a new fancy word processor...

on a much more serious note valve arn't stupid. they would be shooting them selves in the foot without standard HL multiplayer

Hm, let me ask:

What do you think is the average time to implement a dm / teamplay / even UT onslaught kind of multiplayer mod when you have all the content ready? Maps, entities, models, netcode, everything?
With a community dying to play online ?

Do you REALLY think Valve will miss out on that?

Well, I don't - just my 10cc (or cents)...

maybe its CS:S HLDM:S and all later on all the other Mods ported to source :)

Head_Crab_04 said:
well it would make sense. not sure how hl2 multiplayer would top cs:s

not everyone creams over cs. id rather hl2 mp than css personally

giraffen said:
a friend of mine sendt me this file which he found in the cracked cs:source.
it's a text file called gameinfo.txt which is located under hl2/scripts. it says:

// Valve Game Info file
//
GameInfo
{
game "HALF-LIFE 2"
title "HALF-LIFE'"
type singleplayer_only
}

so it seems there will not be a true hl2 multiplayer, just the cs:source.
A while back Gabe (or someone from Valve) annouced that HL2 will ship in 3 different packages, single player only, sp and muliplayer, and all modes including modding. If this is the case this would explain the "singleplayer_only".

Could be refering to HL:S, seeing as under title it's "HalfLife" and not "HalfeLife2"....
just a thought.

Absinthe said:
Well, they've given no hint of HL2 having it's own multiplayer. And when you're this close to shipping there's still no word of it, then I'm sort of left with only two realistic possibilities:

1.) HL2 will be delayed again because the MP isn't done.
2.) There is no HL2 MP.

The first seems unlikely to me, considering all the progress we've been hearing thus far, so I'm kind of left with the second one. I sincerely hope that Valve is just being bad with their PR again.

But in the meantime, please, educated this "stupid fanboy". Change my mind and show me something that hints at the possibility of HL2 shipping with its own MP.

That's the first sound argument against my own beliefs. We'll just have to wait and see. I seriously doubt VALVe would halt the future in such a way.

Back