No longer Developing for the fans?

B

Blud Stane

I love Valve.

I think they're development process is looking great.

Now that I said those things, how do you feel about Valve pushing back the release date to optimize it for Nvidia owners, or Xbox owners... assuming the game is ready to go but doesnt quite run as well on Nvidia's hyped cards, how would you feel having to wait seeing as how the game is ready for you?

Being partners with companies leads to developing to make them happy i know, but I think it'll really be shity when we all wait because Nvidia won't be happy till they optimize just for their cards ( Mixed Mode ) and having to wait to optimze for consoles is rediculous seeing as how HL1 was for PC, all other systems should take a back seat. Just my thoughts.

edit: well, perhaps the thread title wasn't quite what the post was about after all... :eek:

I see what your saying, and yes it could happen. But I would eat me hat if it does.

if there gonna delay this game for the xbox release or nvida optimization im gonna be a little pissed

Since when did they say they were thinking of delaying the game for NVIDA? All they said was that they HAD spent five times as much time working on NVIDA as they had on ATI. And the Xbox release is not going to be until next year: they never had any plans to release it at the same time as the PC version.

I must admit, Valve is the sinlge best company in the industry when it comes to communicating with their fans (perhaps not on a development level) simply because all (or most) of our e-mails have been answered by the FOUNDER of the company, Mr. Gabe Newell. I dare you to find a company that is that dedicated to its fans. I mean, I feel like if there's an issue I have regarding the game, I can just shoot an e-mail off to Gabe, and he'll actually ANSWER it in within one or two days. Can't ask for much more then that. Even if HL2 is delayed, I'll certainly will know Valve is a good company, and the delay would only be to make the game better for us, the fans.

Try looking at the thread titled "Info from Valve only" and try to say Valve isn't dedicated to its fans. If you can, then you're lieing through your teeth.

That is all.

Originally posted by Apos
Since when did they say they were thinking of delaying the game for NVIDA?

Serious. Where do you people get these accusations?

Originally posted by another-user
if there gonna delay this game for the xbox release or nvida optimization im gonna be a little pissed

I wouldn't see how it would delay the game for an Xbox release, because I think a totally different developer is taking control of that, not Vivendi.

'optimizing' it for NVIDIA? How? By turning the features off?
DX9 is a standard. When hardware manufacturers don't follow that standard, there' not a whole not that game developers can do.

Probably some company like Gearbox will port it over to the Xbox. Or the company that ported CS to the Xbox (might have been Gearbox, I dunno).

Originally posted by Joneleth
I must admit, Valve is the sinlge best company in the industry when it comes to communicating with their fans (perhaps not on a development level) simply because all (or most) of our e-mails have been answered by the FOUNDER of the company, Mr. Gabe Newell. I dare you to find a company that is that dedicated to its fans. I mean, I feel like if there's an issue I have regarding the game, I can just shoot an e-mail off to Gabe, and he'll actually ANSWER it in within one or two days. Can't ask for much more then that. Even if HL2 is delayed, I'll certainly will know Valve is a good company, and the delay would only be to make the game better for us, the fans.

Try looking at the thread titled "Info from Valve only" and try to say Valve isn't dedicated to its fans. If you can, then you're lieing through your teeth.

That is all.

Yea, but if they're playtesting, and if they said that they'll be going gold sometime this week, then why so tight lipped on the release date? I mean, okay, even if they did run into an error somewhere, wouldn't they announce a delay at least? Nevertheless, whats this thing with it being released on Steam on 9/30, and then sometime in late Oct - Nov., being released on store shelves? Thats bullcrap.

They ALREADY optimized it for nVidia. There is nothing more VALVE can do. It's up to NVIDIA now.

Originally posted by Goombatommy
Nevertheless, whats this thing with it being released on Steam on 9/30, and then sometime in late Oct - Nov., being released on store shelves? Thats bullcrap.
Looks like ya answered your own question!

Originally posted by Ahnteis
They ALREADY optimized it for nVidia. There is nothing more VALVE can do. It's up to NVIDIA now.

pwnt

Originally posted by Letters
Looks like ya answered your own question!

sorry man, it's 1:35 AM here, had no sleep for 2 days because I have to finish an inventory report for my job, but how did I answer my own question?

Yea, but if they're playtesting, and if they said that they'll be going gold sometime this week, then why so tight lipped on the release date? I mean, okay, even if they did run into an error somewhere, wouldn't they announce a delay at least? Nevertheless, whats this thing with it being released on Steam on 9/30, and then sometime in late Oct - Nov., being released on store shelves? Thats bullcrap.

Yeah, that's true. If they had any huge bugs still left, they'd have announced a delay by now. It's probably either a) small, easy stuff to fix, or b) they're already done with the game. Most of the time "gone gold" press releases are not released on the exact day the game goes gold. Most often the press release is put online somewhere a few days afterward.

I'd say we have until the 18th-20th to actually hear about the game going gold before we need to worry about delays.

Originally posted by Goombatommy
sorry man, it's 1:35 AM here, had no sleep for 2 days because I have to finish an inventory report for my job, but how did I answer my own question?

By saying 'That's bullcrap'... it is! It's not true!

Valve already spent WAY too much time trying to make HL2 work well for NVidia. They shouldn't even be required to do that. NVidia shouldn't suck so much ass.

And what the hell does XBox have to do with anything? They will probably have gearbox or some other company worry about porting HL2 to console lamers :p

Originally posted by dscowboy
'optimizing' it for NVIDIA? How? By turning the features off?
DX9 is a standard. When hardware manufacturers don't follow that standard, there' not a whole not that game developers can do.

By making a ''mixed mode''

right and spending time with editing the current working (playtesting) HL2 that's feature complete... just saying that it appears done after releasing a benchmark pretty much shows the game is ready to be tested officially cause its done. i just hope crap doesnt hold it up

Back