No Mom, just one more turn... (Civ V)

I'll definitely be getting this.

Looks pretty but I never got into Civilization.
I'm not a huge fan of turn based strategy, especially in multiplayer when there's no time limit..

it better be not like civ4

Sweet ****.

Want want want want want

28i3ynl.jpg

HEXES

I have a hard time believing you've never seen a 600 foot tall horse in real life before. They ****ing shit everywhere and it takes days to get it all off your house.

My friend showed me this earlier, my mouth watered. I think the move to hex was a good idea.
Holy shit, those are some big horses. Not very realistic.

Have you ever played a Civ game?

I want Alpha Centauri 2 damnit :hmph:

Should I buy Civ IV Complete or wait for this? Hmm..

I am looking forward to (once again) create a communist empire that spans over the whole world (and leave Australia and Indonesia to the capitalist pigs).

Have you ever played a Civ game?

How an 03'er on hl2.net still has problems detecting jokes/sarcasm is astounding to me.

Looks really cool, but I'm not smart enough for Civ games D:

I have a hard time believing you've never seen a 600 foot tall horse in real life before. They ****ing shit everywhere and it takes days to get it all off your house.

its only because you haven't researched Horseback Riding yet. Once you master the horse it becomes very useful and you can shit on the enemy

techtree_original.jpg

I can never resist a Civ game, though 3 was my favourite by far.

**** YES!

*edit* I'm a bit skeptical about the new hexes, but if they bring back zone of control for fortresses, that would be worth it.

Hexes? OK, now you have my attention. Is this turn based? I can't stand real-time strategy - it feels like lemmings. I can't stand lemmings.

2K Games and Firaxis are developing a Civilization game that will feature a new engine, redesigned combat system and hexagon tiles capable of generating organic landscapes.

According to 2K president Christoph Hartmann, Civilization V will take the franchise in "new directions" with deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay and "stunning" landscapes.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-en...-firaxis-rebuild-civilization-with-new-sequel

Never played Civilization before, but I'll probably get this.

Is this turn based?

Never played Civilization before, but I'll probably get this.

Get out, now.:flame:

I mean honestly, ****, I can understand not having played it but how can you not know of its basic gameplay mechanics? Civilization pretty much laid the backbone for 4X games!

Shame on you Virus, shame! I have never been this disappointed in a user on this forum..

..Yes, it's a turn-based game. It used to be in a square-styled map, but hexagonals are infinitely superior especially in strategy games. The best German wargames are all in hexagonal format, and I can see Civilization going great places. What I'd like is more consequences for your ADMINISTRATIVE actions, instead of just 'should I go to war or not' or 'get +1 culture or 200 gold right now?'. I want to feel like the emperor of a continent-spanning nation, able to kill hundreds of people at my whim; or, be a great Prime Minister who works only for the betterment of his nation.

Civ4 focused too much on war, although Beyond the Sword helped that heavily. The direction they went with BtS makes me believe Civ5 will be wonderful.

I've only had a game computer since 2005.

I've only had a computer PERIOD since 2003, there's no excuse!

Anyway I guess I should be more tolerant, but yes, the Civ games are and always have been been turn-based.

Civ4 focused too much on war, although Beyond the Sword helped that heavily.
Sadly like 90% of all 4x games are very lacking in the department of diplomatic conquest etc, they're all generally very combat-focused.

What I'd like to see Civ5 add an option for is like in Galactic Civilizations 2, where minor 'empires' can form dynamically during the course of a game by breaking off from their main empires due to discontent etc, it keeps the game feeling dynamic and challenging, seeing as it can affect the player too.

Nothing like having built up a huge empire but tax it too much and having minor empires break off, especially when you're in the middle of a war with another giant empire where you need every single resource generator you can get.

Never did play #4 actually. Will hold out for this (and stick playing my budget copies of AC and Civ 3 in the meantime). TBS is a genre I wish I could get a handle on. It's fantastic, and I'm not.

Woo! I was playing Civ4 just the other day thinking it was time for a sequel and hexagons have made a lot of sense to me for a while now.

This is going to be epic...I hope. Hexes have always been a fav of mine personally. Makes things feel more like table-top operations. I will be very excited to see if how this compares to III and IV.

looks interesting, I'm glad they switched to hexes too, I think it'll be a good improvement for the series.

I hope they've streamlined the combat some too. I always seemed to get bogged down and lose interest in the game when I'm attacking the entire world at once, turns take forever.

looks interesting, I'm glad they switched to hexes too, I think it'll be a good improvement for the series.

I hope they've streamlined the combat some too. I always seemed to get bogged down and lose interest in the game when I'm attacking the entire world at once, turns take forever.

That's why Civ 3 let you delegate units to AI for combat etc.

The only Civ game I've ever played was Civilization: Call To Power

I loved that game.

I saw the other closed thread.

If a mod cares to, you could change the title to a more obvious one.

The only Civ game I've ever played was Civilization: Call To Power

I loved that game.
Ironically none of the 'real' Civ devs had anything to do with that, Sid Meier wasnt involved in any way iirc.

But yes, Civ: Call To Power and it's sequel called only "Call To Power II"(They couldn't use Civ as title anymore) are great games too.:)

Ironically none of the 'real' Civ devs had anything to do with that, Sid Meier wasnt involved in any way iirc.

But yes, Civ: Call To Power and it's sequel called only "Call To Power II"(They couldn't use Civ as title anymore) are great games too.:)

What?

Really?

*runs off to play a real civ game*

What?

Really?

*runs off to play a real civ game*

Yup, sure the game was influenced by Civ but they only managed to get away with calling it "Civilization: Call To Power" because they had a temporary publishing deal in that they for some time published Civilization 2 for Windows, so they decided to try to cash in on it's popularity by adding the "Civ" title to Call To Power.

But mind you, I like Call To Power 2 just as much as I like Civ 3.

Ok, I might get this Civ 5, because now it's grabbed my attention. I always thought I had played a civ game, but noooo..... it was a fake!

Ok, I might get this Civ 5, because now it's grabbed my attention. I always thought I had played a civ game, but noooo..... it was a fake!
I'd say its gameplay was quite close to Civ2/3, but yes, it wasn't a PROPER Civ game IMO :p

I mean it's as if EA developed their own "Half Life"-titled FPS outside of Valve, even if it could be a good FPS, it isn't quite the same, know what I mean?;)

Loved Civ 3... played quite a bit of Civ 4.

We'll see about Civ 5.

Trailer was entertaining, but is it really for people who have not played a Civ game before? These cinematic commercials made for the general public really annoy me.

Back