No more AA problems

wendle

Reaction score
As I am sure many of you have read, the AA problems with nVida cards has been fixed and all cards AA fine. It was stated by valve in the roundtable discussion for those of you who haven't read the logs.

Anyway, with that info in mind, can anyone honestly tell me, without bias (if thats even possible), what video card would be the best to buy to get the absolute best out of half life 2 and best performance. My computer is brand new, 3 ghz Intel P4, 512 ram (upgraded to 1024 soon), and a 64 mb geforce 4 (which i am replacing when half life 2 comes out). From what i've read, sounds like 256 mb cards are too much. Soo.... what is the best bang for the buck that will take full advantage of my computer and get the most out of Half Life 2?

Thanks for all your help!:bounce:

oye*slaps self on head*...Rather than this turn into a 9800vs5900 cockfight.......just search through some of the older threads where the cards were compared.....

5900ultra AA and AF isnt better than the 9800pro's, Period. i know from seeing both in person.

end of thread(plz)

what is the best bang for the buck that will take full advantage of my computer and get the most out of Half Life 2?
Considering the 9800 Pro is some 100$ cheaper than the 5900 ultra, its the best bang... Its cheaper than the 5900 non ultra :)

Lowdown:

5900 Ultra:
NVIDIA NVIDIA NVIDIA!!!!!! :dork:
Some advanced hardware support (PS2.0+, Cg, all the other stuff)
But its most likely to slow to use the above in a game enviroment.
Average speed (vs the 9800) in old games: 100-120%
Average speed (vs the 9800) in new games: 50-70%
Big card, but pretty neat (doesnt bother people that buy it).
Blurred FSAA in comparison to the 9800
In *theory* better AF than the 9800, but in *practice* worse (ie game output).

9800 Pro:
Base DX9 hardware: It isnt a bird. It isnt superman. Its a 10km long nuclear missile going at mach 10.
Beats the 5900 Ultra in EVERY new game tested.
Vastly superior PS2.0 speeds due to the above mentioned base DX9.
Fast and good FSAA, even at low levels, as with the AF.
Beats the 5900 flat out with max FSAA/AF in everything.
CHEAP!!!!!! compared to the 5900 Ultra.
Some advanced features the 5900 Ultra hasnt (ie MRT)
And actually speed to perform these advanced features.

Take your pick :)
This line "Beats the 5900 Ultra in EVERY new game tested." I see as a very important view on how they will age... And no it isnt speculation, its seen in every review on the net. HOWEVER, things might change, when devs decide to prebuild shortcuts and quality snags in game engines just to make it run on the 5900 good (the consumer wont know its haxed, since its how its shipped).

dawdler, You have to provide links to tests proving that...because the recent ones dont show that story about the 5900U/9800P

BTW: I have a voltmodded 9700P running at 400/380 with 9800 driver path, so I dont think I am nvidia biased if you were wondering.

dawdler dont even post the links he wants. I know for a fact its true, but if he wants it he can go find them himself. The reason is because the second you post those links this is just gonna be like all the other threads...."blank vs blank"

How about this:
[Hunter]Ridic, dont even post stupid remarks like the one you just made.

Now, who knows of links to prove it? I have looked and I dont like what I see...looks like the FX is topping everything in hi res FSAA/AF...and I think there should be some other test to collaborate what you both are saying.

As a follow up (and thanks for the advice)

I've been looking around for good prices and 9800 pro cards. I found a site called extreme gear with great prices but limited selection.

http://www.buyxg.com

Has anyone had experience with this site before and what was it like if you had?
Also, as I looked at the 9800 pro 128 mb they offer, there were three listed at different prices. They ranged from about $360 to $320 in price. As far as I could tell all three were the same card with the same specs. The middle range one did come with a retail package and 7 games. Other than that they were all the same I think.
Can anyone tell me y they would have such a price difference, if its a wise buy, what the differences are if there is any in the cards, and any other advice you might have?

Thanks again!

I wonder what threats and/or bribes they Nvidia used this time..

Originally posted by BBA
How about this:
[Hunter]Ridic, dont even post stupid remarks like the one you just made.

Now, who knows of links to prove it? I have looked and I dont like what I see...looks like the FX is topping everything in hi res FSAA/AF...and I think there should be some other test to collaborate what you both are saying.

bba how bout you stfu newbie cheese, and read every other Nvidia vs ati thead you loser. We dont need to make this the 102394th

Back