No reflections on the water(Dock movie).

Urbanleg

Reaction score
Is it me or There are no reflections of Characters at all in HL2 docks movie? (birds, And The Alien). Valve Made the reflections of the Docks itself pretty good (constant buldings) but as much as i could see the birds didnt have any reflection on the water (Only on the wood of the dock itself(shadow).

Weird.

No, there isn't.. Anyway, i don't really care.

you can see the birds reflections far off as they fly away, and Gordon is just a floating head so he wont refelct, dont know about the Aliens

It depends on your angle to the water, That is how water reflects the world in real life

Originally posted by switch
Gordon is just a floating head so he wont refelct
Rofl.. you make him sound like something out of DooM! :)

You'll probably see reflections in the final game... because you know, everything in the world will be in the game...

For real... the water didn't reflect everything, it seemed to have a mapped reflection of the static things around it. However the sky will not be static in the final game, we'll see how well the water reflects the 3d sky. The water certainly didn't seem to reflect the NPCs or Gordon himself though (otherwise they would've shown it off)....

Originally posted by Lobster
It depends on your angle to the water, That is how water reflects the world in real life

Err... no. Don't make stuff up.

Originally posted by Lobster

Originally posted by Lifthz

I think you'll find Lobster is right. If you look straight down into water you will see less reflection than if looking at an angle to the surface.

Look at the light in the distance on the building in the town.
There is a lightbeam that also does not reflect in the water.

Well, in the movie with the manhacks and the hydra, you can see the reflections of the hydra clearly in the water and the reflection of the combine soldier it impales faintly, so I'm pretty certain they can show reflections of NPCs.

Lol water has different properties based on what angle you are looking at it from, how opaque it is. the lighting etc. don't speak of things you know nothing about lifthz.

Epsi , Lobster , Piddy, and zdub win , yay. Even if they didnt reflect the demo is from 2002 , so dont worry , be happy.

:cool:

Attachments

• reflect.gif
    reflect.gif
    67.2 KB · Views: 323
Yeah, from what we've heard from Valve it seems that the water does in fact reflect differently from where you stand near it. If you're directly over it and so is the light source you probably wont see anything, but if its viewed at an angle almost everything will reflect. Nifty.

It is definitely a fact that you see different amounts of reflection off water depending on the angle you look at it. Water is a specular surface as opposed to a diffuse surface. This means that reflection of light off water obey what's called Snell's law ie the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. Because of this when a ray of light hits the water at a certain angle that ray of light reflects off the water at the same angle and if you are observing at that angle you will see the ray really bright(known as specular highlight). But if you are viewing even a little bit off of that angle you will barely see that ray. Examples of such surfaces are any polished surfaces that are highly planar(glass, water, etc.).

Diffuse surfaces are, on the other hand, highly granular surfaces and when a ray of light bounces off such surfaces it is reflected roughly equally in every direction and for these surfaces it doesn't matter what angle you view them at they will appear almost the same. Examples of these surfaces include wood, unpolished metal, sand, cement, etc.

Who the **** cares? All this constant analysing of pointless little details is going to ruin the game for you. Just stay open minded, and wait for it to come.

Originally posted by Lifthz

did you never listen at School?

the thing that determines how a surface reacts is the differences in the refractive indexes of the substance the light is going from and the substance its going in to.

from air to perspex for example..... the critical angle (the angle at which total internal reflection occurs) is 42 degrees and thus if light hits perspex at that angle or greater then it will reflect.... and ofc, for the light to then travel into your eyes you must be looking at the perspex with an angle of 42 degrees because as most people know, the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection.

Kam

Originally posted by Chris_D
Who the **** cares? All this constant analysing of pointless little details is going to ruin the game for you. Just stay open minded, and wait for it to come.

Coming from a guy who sifted through 400Mb of gibberish just to be able to see a movie he's already seen a day before it's release it sounds rather ironic.

Haha! That one was good, SnowBall! :D

Gordon hasn’t brushed his teeth on several years... ;)

If you check out the Hydra scene, there are some really nice reflections, as metioned. Watch in slow-mo and you can see that Alyx is actually standing up to her ankles in the water, and there are very cool reflections around her legs, reflecting her pantlegs, and her shoes look properly refracted and opaque.

I'm pretty sure the docks scene is an early build. I'm not at all worried about how water will look in HL2. It will look AWESOME.

Originally posted by Llevar
Coming from a guy who sifted through 400Mb of gibberish just to be able to see a movie he's already seen a day before it's release it sounds rather ironic.

I did that because

1) I didn't have anything better to do at the time
2) I'm a nice guy and everyone here wanted me to do it so they could see the videos.

And at least it didn't involve me scrutanising and analysing every single detail about a game that is still in alpha/beta stages.

Originally posted by Chris_D
I did that because

1) I didn't have anything better to do at the time
2) I'm a nice guy and everyone here wanted me to do it so they could see the videos.

And at least it didn't involve me scrutanising and analysing every single detail about a game that is still in alpha/beta stages.

Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day.

Originally posted by Kamakazie from air to perspex for example..... the critical angle (the angle at which total internal reflection occurs) is 42 degrees and thus if light hits perspex at that angle or greater then it will reflect.... and ofc, for the light to then travel into your eyes you must be looking at the perspex with an angle of 42 degrees because as most people know, the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. [/B]

On that note, it seems (from the video where gordon falls into the water) that source doesn't support TIR (total internal reflection). It's not supprising as that would constitute quite a high overhead. It will be nice when games support fully realistic optics. It's bound to happen soon at the rate that graphics are improving. Note this isn't meant to be a 'what? source wount make water flow out of my barrel?' comment.

Back