No time to join a full mod team? Make single maps instead

Gergor

Hunter
Reaction score
I posted a thread about this a while back, but it didn't pan out at the time. Personally, I don't have the time to devote to working on a full mod, so I've tried doing single map projects by myself. Unfortunately, I don't have the experience with modelling/skinning, voice acting, texture creation, etc. to make projects on the level I would like.

Hence, I'm looking for people who are interested in making individual singleplayer and multiplayer maps on par with Valve's releases for Counter-Strike, HLDM, TF2 in the future, maybe even Portal. I need mappers, 3D modellers, texture artists, you name it, possibly even people to help me coordinate projects. Think of Valve's "cabals." Small groups of people working on specific projects. If I get enough people, we may release a multiplayer map pack or a small single player project. Everyone's ideas and concepts for maps are welcome. People can contribute ideas, and other folks can choose what they'd like to work on. The idea is that by setting our sights a little lower in terms of quantity, we can produce better content in a shorter time, kind of along the lines of the episodic concept.

So if anyone is interested and has skills which they feel they could contribute to such a project, please email me at [email protected], or PM me.

What will you be contributing to this project besides ideas and "leadership"?

Mapping, art direction, distribution and quality control. Amongst other things.

You've managed to make this sound like even more of a project than an actual mod.

Also, I think it is considered a mod if you are making custom textures, models, sounds, etc, as well as a map. Making a map would mean making a map without any extra elements, which is not what you just described. You described a mod.

I didn't think something more ridiculous than "pls i need mapors modelrs textres and code but ill do the leeding and ideas" could exist in the help wanted forum, but you sir have taken the cake.

I apologize if my tone seems harsh.

Actually working map by map is very different from making a mod because you aren't going overboard. Most mods shoot for custom weapons, custom enemies, custom models, custom textures, absolutely, but they also plan for a whole lot of levels. With this project, you're getting people together to get one small thing done, get it out there, and go from there. It's an even simpler form of episodic content, actually.

Now that I read over the post, it's exactly what he said. Getting people together to do a small pack where you're shooting for less than a mod.

PS Vegeta you get to be a douche everywhere else, leave Help Wanted to me plz. ;)

You described a mod.

Call it whatever you want, I'm interested in making high-quality single maps to release to the community. I'm sure you will agree that it takes much less time to create a single map for an existing game than it does to create a whole new gameplay experience, which is more what I consider to be a mod, or at least one I would want to play. I'm not looking for people who want to dedicate a great deal of time to making a large-scale mod. Just people like me who enjoy making content for games but don't have that kind of time.

It's kind of what me and Yorick were planning to do at some point, I think.

well, I still like the idea of a mod of shorter induvidual stories (each story about three to five maps).

Back