Noob FPS question

E

EODTech

Hi folks,
I just got back from the Middle East :sniper: and my wife had HL2 collectors edition waiting for me. Thats a good woman.
Anyway I'm way behind on my HL2 reading and I wanted to know how to run those demos that give me a FPS and how do I check my FPS in game?

Thanks

The stress test can be found in Counter Strike Source, that'll give you an average FPS. Also, to check your FPS in game, type "cl_showfps 1" in the console.

Honestly I was expecting to get flamed for asking a noob question, but it seems this site has a lot of respectfull players on it.

Yeah I always help out here, I try to answer as best as I can and if people need help in the single player I try to include screenshots and whatnot. :thumbs:

After running the stress test I get 106fps and while in game I get seem to get between 60 and 100+ FPS while running and gunning, but then I get sudden FPS drops where the FPS counter turns red and then it goes away, I'm guessing its just from being out doors and looking at something that requires a lot of processing power to render, or is that the stuttering that I keep hearing about?

you can also try a program called FRAPS for frame rate counting and testing

sirRealist said:
you can also try a program called FRAPS for frame rate counting and testing
FRAPS generally makes HL2 lag really badly, for me anyway.

Yes, that's probably the stutter bug you're getting; framerates drop very low at points, like when a new sound is loaded, but after playing for a bit it becomes only a minor annoyance :D

Well hopefully they will fix that bug, I'm thinking of upgrading to a top of the line soundcard anyway. I've had mine for a while. Everything else is new but that.

Back