Noob Question

S

sspoto

Hey Guys...I realize this is probly a very simple question, but I have looked for a while now to find this answer. I am just getting started in the HL2 scene, but I cant seem to find for the life of me how to get started in HL2 character skinning, for instance well,,,how do you start? Is there a special program for this or what? I am sure I missed some good tutorials on this subject. So if anyone can help it would be much appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

Well first off you want to get your hands on the sdk, which has all of the tools you need for modding hl2. From there i belive you can extract the origanal textuers. bung um in ps, play around and recompile them. I'm no expert but im sure someone will be along to tell you what you need to do.

Yes to skin the half-life models you need to extract the original texture by using for instance the GCF Scape. Then you modify the texture you can also use the plugin for vtf to photoshop to make it easier. And then you save your texture, compile it and put it on the same paste in your MOD or in hl2 materials folder. You have to put it on the correspondant folder of the materials in order to change the original file of the hl2.

Wow, thanks a lot Stormy and maveryck21. That helps, I spent all last night trying to figure out how to put the different body parts in those weird positions on that one piece. Wow its even hard to describe how they look... :p

Back