Not what I expected

azz0r said:
This is because of the crappy way CSS handles physics. You have a push barrier around you, when you near physic objects theyre pushed away, that object then doesnt clip properly if its reacting to your push, so it goes through things.

Whereas in the HL2 leak it didnt work like that, I can only hope HL2 uses the basic method of ME pushing things, and not my invisible outer-self.

Seeing as no-one listened to me, let me prove it. Here is a shot from the leak with me and somebody ONLINE using barrels, they clipped how I described, and not the wank way CSS does, note that there was no problems with the physics before.

PS. Its been a long time since the leak and Im only using this shot to prove a point, please remove it but dont ban me :/

HERE

omg, I've been incriminated in that screenshot!
/me runs

Um, azzor. I would remove that pic, the mods DO NOT like beta pics.

So it seems that high-prioity objects such as barrels perform more interpenetration checks, and the lower priority objects just fall where they may. Hopefully the client physics engine will allow for more accurate penetration checks for lower prioity objects if desired by the player. As azzor has shown, it's not an engine limitation, which puts me to rest somewhat. I'm 90% sure if that cinderblock was assigned a high physics priority the interpenetration would have been caught.

btw Shuzer! Say it ain't so, that's not you in that screen! :D

It's an imposter! Yeah.. yeah.. that's it :eek:
I'll admit to having done some pretty shady things back in the day.. but I've reformed! I haven't touched that dirty build in months! :)

This could create quite a few situations, say the the brick has been moved by player1 and is sitting on top of a wall for player1, player2 stands with his head behind the where the brick is on player1's screen, player1 shoots the brick. What happens? Does player1 see the brick go flying AND give player2 a headshot?

And what happens when a player is shooting a bottle around which might happen to be in a different position for everyone else? Do you just see the player taking shots at thin air and hitting the ground?

wush said:
And what happens when a player is shooting a bottle around which might happen to be in a different position for everyone else? Do you just see the player taking shots at thin air and hitting the ground?

The thing is, when i was playing two people were shooting a bottle back and fourth to each other, so i believe the client objects can have there center point tracked to give there basic position, but there orientation and collision data is all client side, i have no idea of the ins and outs of it, im sure everyone will be able to experiment and work out how it really works when the beta goes public.

Back