Nothing Happening On Oct. 8th?

M

mbadran

Oct 8 2004

I say lets stop complaining and wait 'til Oct 8, 2004 as Doug said, that day will make all the difference :) Let's wait and make some predictions til then! :) I say one of two things will happen:

1) a delay announcement in a cover up of some way

2) valve will tell us some good news :)

the source code will be stolen again, lombardi will make a statement that they had a plan for this and the source code theft would only delay the game till october 11th. on october 10th at 11 pm, valve will announce a 2 year delay because of the source code theft

DrunkPanda said:
the source code will be stolen again, lombardi will make a statement that they had a plan for this and the source code theft would only delay the game till october 11th. on october 10th at 11 pm, valve will announce a 2 year delay because of the source code theft

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you with..

A FAILED ATTEMPT AT HUMOR! :)

Ady said:
didn't they change that Oct 8th date to Dec 31st?
I think you're right. I was just rereading the Gamespot article, and I came upon this:

"In other developments in the Valve versus VUG lawsuit, the judge hearing the case in District Court pushed the cutoff date for the two sides to present relevant documents (Discovery) from October 8, 2004, to December 31, 2004."

What now :(?

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it!

geekusa said:
:In other developments in the Valve versus VUG lawsuit, the judge hearing the case in District Court pushed the cutoff date for the two sides to present relevant documents (Discovery) from October 8, 2004, to December 31, 2004."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/24/news_6108100.html

don't think anythings happening on october 8th.

Damn don't tell me these things. It makes me sad. :(:(

I predict nothing will happen on the 8th of October. No wait, I predict the end of child labour.

Shuzer said:
Ladies and gentlemen, I present you with..

A FAILED ATTEMPT AT HUMOR! :)

I thought it was pretty funny. But then again I have a twisted sense of humor. :rolling:

Icarus said:
Brought the threads together for ease

*Merged*
Maybe we should make a note of this on the front page, since I doubt this thread will reach the entire forums, and so many people are eagerly waiting for Oct. 8th in hope of news ;(

I think 2 things are being confused here and that Gamespot goofed. There are two "court" dates: One for SUMMARY judgment (no jury) on the 8th to determe if Valve can use Steam, and one a JURY trial in March 2005. On Oct.22nd there was a "All motions related to discovery must be filed" date for the JURY trial. That was pushed back to December 31st.

I *think* the 8th Summary Judgment is still on. I think Gamespot confused the Oct 22nd discovery date with the Oct 8th summary judgment date.

that lame... does it mean hl2 wont be out before december 31?

Democritus said:
I think 2 things are being confused here and that Gamespot goofed. There are two "court" dates: One for SUMMARY judgment (no jury) on the 8th to determe if Valve can use Steam, and one a JURY trial in March 2005. On Oct.22nd there was a "All motions related to discovery must be filed" date for the JURY trial. That was pushed back to December 31st.

I *think* the 8th Summary Judgment is still on. I think Gamespot confused the Oct 22nd discovery date with the Oct 8th summary judgment date.
Hmm, maybe you're right.

Looks like we need to get some things cleared up :rolling:

For a refresher, read this article again and note the OCt 8th Summary judgment (in the text) and Oct 22nd Discovery date (in the list at the bottom):
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/20/news_6107712.html

The new article then says the Oct 8th FOR DISCOVERY pushed back to Dec. 31st. That may be wrong, but there's no way I can see to contact Curt Feldman, the author, to confirm.

Democritus said:
For a refresher, read this article again and note the OCt 8th Summary judgment (in the text) and Oct 22nd Discovery date (in the list at the bottom):
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/20/news_6107712.html

The new article then says the Oct 8th FOR DISCOVERY pushed back to Dec. 31st. That may be wrong, but there's no way I can see to contact Curt Feldman, the author, to confirm.
I just reread the articles, and I see your point. Looks like an error. Too bad they don't have the editors' e-mail addresses on their site like Gamespy :(

Wesisapie said:
that lame... does it mean hl2 wont be out before december 31?

I certainly hope it doesn't mean that but thats the way that it is looking at the moment

No that isnt how its looking at the moment. Chances are that this court room drama wont have an affect on HL2's release date, Vivendi need the money badly, and withholding the game just to spite Valve isn't going to get them any money.

If Valve had there own ****ing PR department none of this would be happening. It's PR's job to formulate press releases, make delay issues/statements, and tell of company happenings, all at particular times in coordination with it's publishers (Vivendi) contract. A good PR team would know when to tell the community certain things, and how to tell them. Instead of a select group of employees at Valve just randomly telling us things by posting on msg boards, or emailing some random person. I blame Valve. The further HL2 gets away the harder it is for me to care about it. I'm really honestly, genuinly and deeply dissapointed in Valve. They've let us down in a way... :( Feel free to argue any or all of my points, but I can't help how I feel. I think I need something to restore my faith in... yes.. a Video Game Company. VALVE....

Democritus said:

How exactly could a court date scheduled for March 2005 be pushed BACK to Oct. 2004?

Democritus said:

Nothing about Steam will be decided on the 8th.

Currently, the case stands here: After Valve's initial lawsuit alleging that Sierra illegally distributed Half-Life to game cafés, and Sierra/VUG's counterclaim that accuses Valve of circumventing Sierra's retail plans by distributing Valve games via Steam, the two sides have both submitted motions for summary judgment on lesser points.

They are now in a dash to present to the court all relevant materials to support their cross-motions for summary judgment regarding "cyber-café rights and available damages," according to Sierra/VUG filings.

I havent read this thread, but am posting because I am getting sick of all these threads talking about Oct 8. The court date that was going to happen on Oct 8th was postponed until Dec 31. That news has been out for two days. So pull your heads out of your asses and pay attention people.

Cunni said:
I havent read this thread, but am posting because I am getting sick of all these threads talking about Oct 8. The court date that was going to happen on Oct 8th was postponed until Dec 31. That news has been out for two days. So pull your heads out of your asses and pay attention people.

I think i have mine way upppp there.... i think i'll need help with the push? are you volunteering to help push?

/me smells the sarcasm of my post and me thinks if you don't like it then you can help get my head out of my ass so later i can help you shove your head up yours!

Cunni said:
I havent read this thread, but am posting because I am getting sick of all these threads talking about Oct 8.
i'm glad i'm not the only one irritated by the oct 8th stuff hehe...

Isn't that only a good thing if the day when they're going to court is delayed to December 31st? Now they can release Half-Life 2 without some stupid BS court being an obstacle. Don't tell me they'll have to wait till the court?

What's so special about Oct the 8th to make you think somethink special will happen then?

Feath said:
Nothing about Steam will be decided on the 8th.

This is where I infer that something WILL be decided on the eigth:

In court filings, Sierra/VUG says that the current distribution of Half-Life 2 via Steam exceeds the scope of the current software publishing agreement between the two parties. It is apparently seeking the court's assistance in compelling Valve not to use Steam as an avenue of distribution.

On Friday, when asked if Valve was still intent on making Half-Life 2 available to gamers via Steam, regardless of what was determined on October 8, Lombardi replied, "Yes."

EDIT: this is 6 paragraphs above the bulleted list in this article: VUG vs. Valve. This makes me think the "lesser points" have relevance to Steam distribution.

Democritus said:
This is where I infer that something WILL be decided on the eigth:

EDIT: this is 6 paragraphs above the bulleted list in this article: VUG vs. Valve. This makes me think the "lesser points" have relevance to Steam distribution.

Or it could in interpreted to say that the motion on the 8th has nothing to do with Steam. It would make more sense than Doug saying "Yeah, we're going to ignore what ever's decided in court".

Feath said:
Or it could in interpreted to say that the motion on the 8th has nothing to do with Steam. It would make more sense than Doug saying "Yeah, we're going to ignore what ever's decided in court".

Yeah, but it seems the reporter's question would be pointless unless the Oct. 8th court date was somehow germane to Steam distribution as opposed to intellectual property issues.

Oh well. I suppose there wouldn't be much to talk about if we actually had complete information.

he, I think we are going to see Valve pulling back their "release on steam"-thing do to presure from VUG, because I have learned that Valve really never hold on to their statements.... HL2 will be released in stores in old fasion boxes...

Back