Nov 16, bah

aDidor22

Reaction score
No but seriously,

i came home extra fast today because i was sure it had gone gold. Well,not sure, but pretty dam sure.

Anyhow, i saw Nov 16 and said bah.

Im sure alot of you pc only gamers/HL overdose fanbois are to busy being exicted that it went gold but i was a bit dissapointed. (not that it really matters).

Now, HL2 will half to compete with not only Halo2, and san andreas, but metal gear, snaker eater as well.

Those 3 games alone were on many of us gamers hitlist. (snake eater ties up a huge story, san andres does not need explaining, and halo two, well, you probably already played it =)

Im not crying or anything, as ill obviously be waiting like the rest of everybody, but i didnt think it was very strategic marketing for the most anticpated game of all time (pc).

From now til nov 16, theres loads of time to press cds/manual, boxes ect. To be honest, they could have set the date for nov 1, and had enough boxes from now til then to hold stores off (as anyone with sense bought it off steam, seeing how the cds make you go through steam anyway.) til the next shipment.

I know, i know, im happy its gone gold, and i really never complain, but i had to let this one spill.

I say, (just for fun) release nov 2, press, box and send to all major outlets, will still shipping more as they come ect. I work in the printing industry and my company alone has gotten over 35 thousand manuals for walkie talkies and crap out in less than a day.

Any how, atleast the sucker went gold.

You had unrealistic expectations. HL2 is far more highly anticipated then HL1. They are attempting a worldwide simultanious release. They want to get it out ASAP. November 16 is ASAP.

Look at it this way man, at least we wont have to talk about when its going to release or go gold.

I don't think HL1's strength was in its initial sales numbers, it sold amazingly over a long period of time thanks to its mods. HL2 will undoubtably be the same and Vivendi probably knows this.

They just know that it'll sell no matter what. The only people not buying would have to be extreme anti-half-life guys, and even most of them will buy it so that they can beat on its few mistakes...

So you expect them to mass produce around 3 million units for a simultaneous world wide release(somthing neither of the titles u mentioned is doing) and ship it to warehouse all around the world in let me get this straight. 14 days?

I don't get you guys... do you want hl2 or not? if so, so stfu and wait for it to come out.

Peace.

KagePrototype said:
4 BRILLIANT games within one month! :D
HL2, Halo 2, WOW, and NFS:UG? Or Bloodlines? Which are you leaving out?

I seriously doubt that november 16th is ASAP. BUT, its finally got a real date, so I'm content.

I agree, the worldwide shipment is daunting, and indeed a task, but my company alone has printed, boxed and shipped both manuals and cds for walkie talkies. We've done over 37k in one day. One day. thats just one print shop.

I totally understand people and i wasnt cursing valve or anything, im just saying, logically, if they wanted the money faster, and a faster release, they could do it.

Dont act like the laws of physics are stopping them.

Besides, how many stores will get late/partial shipments with the current release dates? plenty. WIll there still be boxes sitting on the shelf after nov 16. most likely.

Many people got this through steam, including many many euro people.

Am i saying "Valve, hurry up, i've waited long enough!" ? No. Im just saying if Valve and VU wanted it out faster, they could do. Many you act like this the only date god said it could happen.

Anyhow, sorry i came off like a jackarse....killing time nov 16 :frog:

aDidor22 said:
I agree, the worldwide shipment is daunting, and indeed a task, but my company alone has printed, boxed and shipped both manuals and cds for walkie talkies. We've done over 37k in one day. One day. thats just one print shop.

I totally understand people and i wasnt cursing valve or anything, im just saying, logically, if they wanted the money faster, and a faster release, they could do it.

Besides, how many stores will get late/partial shipments with the current release dates? plenty. WIll there still be boxes sitting on the shelf after nov 16. most likely.

Am i saying "Valve, hurry up, i've waited long enough!" ? No. Im just saying if Valve and VU wanted it out faster, they could do. Many you act like this the only date god said it could happen.

^Exactly^

aDidor22 said:

You should be saying 'VUG hurray up'. Up to them with shipping and releasing...

What the hell? What is all this compete hl2 with other games. Who cares!? The game will be in our hands in less than 1 month!!!! That's all that mathers! :bounce: :D

Chiefi said:
What the hell? What is all this compete hl2 with other games. Who cares!? The game will be in our hands in less than 1 month!!!! That's all that mathers! :bounce: :D

Dont bite into every sandwhich that passes your face ( i just made that up!)

even though its gold, and the chances of it not shipping on that date are slim, dont get you hopes up. Did you forget what game this is?

And on the competing remark, what do you mean who cares, you do realize this is all business right? Those games i mentioned may not matter to some (strick pc) and i didnt even mention WoW, a solid contender for time theft. Im sure plenty of not soo wealthy people will opt for the game with more play time, which HL2 wont offer until good mods arrive. Would you rather get HL2, the awsome story/gameplay or WoW, dynamic content and possibly much more replay then the 10-20 hours of Hl2?

Of course we fanbois will say HL2 HL2, but a more, unbiased consumer may think otherwise.

all in all, its gold, cant wait, ill end up being tricked into buying all these games...better get the vacation slips ready.

*VG, delay it til on nov 15 to dec 6,say its a shipping problem, yea thats it, mauaghahaha, stupid gamers, they never learn*

j/k

Personally, and I know I'll get flamed but whatever, I won't play HL2 till, at least, December. That's even with fact I've already paid for it. Halo 2 is comming out the 9th, plus I still have a myriad of other games on my list. Quite frankly, I'm dissappointed in the November 16th date because it's after Halo 2's release and I'll be hooked on H2's multiplayer after I finish the campaign for, at least, a month. Had HL2 been set to release a week earlier, or possibly less, I'd be more than content, as I'm only interested in SP and a week would be ample time to complete SP.

I guess this doesn't come as a surprise, though. HL2 and H2 have quite comparably sized releases, one being the biggest PC game launch and the other being the biggest console game launch, respectively.; so, I can understand the release date set to the 16th for HL2. Both games are, essentially, taking a month to market and produce the game before shipping time, so as to prepare for their massive releases. Hell, as long as I get to play both before the year's end, I guess I'm set.

Indeed, Halo two has the co op, sp and online goodness. I never thought halo was as impressive as people thought (coming from a console view.) But i can betcha Halo twos servers will be filled to the rim, as CS dwindles with so so-ness.

From a marketing point of view, getting HL2 out as fast as possible, even if leaving some people with no copy due to small ships, would still be better than doing this, allowing pirating and competiton to get all the immidiate props and cash flows.

I don't know why so many people are so hyped about Halo2. I'm not trying to bash it or anything, but its nothing that we haven't seen before in a console shooter (take this from a person who has seen the game in action first hand.) The only new features are new weapons and shit, and the multiplayer gets boring after about 30 mins. HL2 is much more anticipated than Halo, and even though they will be released about a week apart, I would save my cash for HL2.

After seeing Halo2 and CS:Source and after comparing them, I was instantly amazed by the source engine. I have never seen anything like it before. You have got to understand that HL2 will be one of the most innovative games of our time. It will surpass the original HalfLife (one of the best games ever).

I don't wanna spend money on games like Halo2 cuz I know that its just another sequel where a few new guns and shit are added in and the graphics are shined up a bit. Games like GTA:San Andreas and HL2 are truly INNOVATIVE, adding elements of gameplay that the public has never seen before.

I agree halos so much weaker, but as my friend said..

"Hey aint crap, halo two, but for the console onliners, its all they really got thats solid. They still outnumber harcore pc gamers. Its not a matter of wanting to play HL2 faster (yea it is) its a matter of marketing strategy."

Killa_TJH said:
I don't know why so many people are so hyped about Halo2. I'm not trying to bash it or anything, but its nothing that we haven't seen before in a console shooter (take this from a person who has seen the game in action first hand.) The only new features are new weapons and shit, and the multiplayer gets boring after about 30 mins. HL2 is much more anticipated than Halo, and even though they will be released about a week apart, I would save my cash for HL2.

After seeing Halo2 and CS:Source and after comparing them, I was instantly amazed by the source engine. I have never seen anything like it before. You have got to understand that HL2 will be one of the most innovative games of our time. It will surpass the original HalfLife (one of the best games ever).

I don't wanna spend money on games like Halo2 cuz I know that its just another sequel where a few new guns and shit are added in and the graphics are shined up a bit. Games like GTA:San Andreas and HL2 are truly INNOVATIVE, adding elements of gameplay that the public has never seen before.

I often hear people say halo 1 was nothing new that other games done what halo did better. I been playing pc fps since 95 and I don't know 1 games that brings all the things halo did in 1 game. Elements like wide open levels, physics, great music and story, great enemy A.I. great graphics, Coop, fun multiplayer, vehicles, and lots of A.I teammates.

sorry, halo stunk. i prefer doom2, but that could be because i love doom2.

Not only is it going to compete with the console games, but there's 2 possible highly anticipated PC releases in November too. Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft.

That's the problem with me. Even though I won't be buying EQ2 (I'm in beta, and I feel the game needs a ton of wor, and shouldn't be released until like Oct of 2005 lol), I will be buying WoW. And due to the type of game it is, it's going to be quite time consuming, as you don't want to fall behind your friends, wife, etc.

Half-Life 2 will be conflicting with my WoW time, or is it the other way around? :)

Regardless, I hope WoW gets pushed back till the end of the month, or beginning of Dec, just so I can get some HL2 time in lol.

Sorry none of those games appeal to me. Now WoW is another story. Matter of fact have never heard of snake eater..... is that the one where you eat dots and your snake gets bigger? Sucky Graphics.

Killa_TJH said:

:dozey:

Personally, I don't think you want to like Halo2.

I want to hate halo2. They ruin halo and then expect us to like the sequel? Damn microsoft.

I've never played Halo, and I don't really care if I ever do. WoW, meh. Evercrank2, meh. I've never really been into monthly fees for a game, except WWII online (which is different, but fun). I waited years for Doom 3, and I was a little (very little) disappointed because it needs such a pig to run decently, and it was a little short for my liking. Still a great game though. But no game has ever impacted me or given me as much bang for my buck as half life. HL2 is THE game I have been waiting for more than any other. But whatever, if you like console stuff, then you ought to be excited about Halo 2 and any other decent release. Just think of all the crap you've paid for that sucked, or didn't live up to your expectations. GTA games are always a hoot. It's about time gamers had a real selection of STRONG contenders for thier hard earned bucks I say.

Cheers all!

Posts like this ? A ton. It's been hashed over and over again. Half-Life more than likely won't be competing head to head with these games since they appeal to two seperate gaming communities. But if it does? Vivendi, Valve, Rockstar, Bungi, Microsoft... all of them are going to make a killing this holiday season, so why not just leave it at that?

FFS! soon November is here then it will go fast as hell, was exactly with doom3 the last 2-3 weeks just flew away for me.

Back