now a stupid time to upgrade?

A

asdasd12345

im thinking of making a whole new comp with an athlon 64 socket 939, but all the Mb's out right now do not support pic-express which is apparently the future of video cards. so is it best to just wait until after christmas to do a total upgrade? the only problem is that i will still need a new card because i only have a geforce3 ti200 which doesnt play things very well at all. any advice appreciated.

Yes, waiting would be the best choice. ATI, Nvidia and VIA all have PCI-Express boards for Athlon 64 coming out over the next few months.

Buying now would limit your choices to AGP cards which are on their way out. Although if you did upgrade to an AGP board and bought an AGP card, in a year or so you could just buy a Socket 939 board that supports PCI-Express and a PCI-Express card.

I have been thinking about jumping on an nForce4 board with PCI-Express but I would also have to switch out my card. Now if someone picked up the ball and made a Socket 754 nForce4 SLI board then I wouldn't have to upgrade my CPU. :cheese:

Upgrading now is fine. Get a proven 939 board and a Nvidia 6800Ultra. By the time that card is out of date, you won't mind having to upgrade motherboards. I say upgrade now.

It's all preference and how you view upgrading. I say never wait for the next 'big thing' because there will always be another big thing but at the same time you might want to make your upgrade path easier if if waiting a month solves that then so be it. Either way, it isn't a big issue.

Back