NPC A.I #side vs #side NPC relations

X

XenoSpirit

i duno if thisones been done but i dint see it in the 1st thread line so here...

in hl1 i saved the mariens ass then he turns around and shoots me.. in hl2 will you beable to win over "intellagant" enimies by savein them?

XenoSpirit said:
i duno if thisones been done but i dint see it in the 1st thread line so here...

in hl1 i saved the mariens ass then he turns around and shoots me.. in hl2 will you beable to win over "intellagant" enimies by savein them?

I doubt it. It would be cool though. Let me guess, did you save a Marine from a Barnacle? I remember doing the same thing and wishing maybe he would show some gratitude and realize you weren't the enemy.

i just dont want a combine shooting me after i save his ass waht yall think?

testing spoilers

XenoSpirit said:

I dunno about half life , but i believe that this is sort of thing is in STALKER

One problem I see with this is that I think it would be very hard to program under what conditions an AI would be persuaded. The closest thing I've seen to this is the reverse situation: friendly fire turning an ally hostile. However, there have been many times in games where an ally has turned hostile on me just because they were stupid enough to run into the middle of my fire and they thought I was shooting at them.

So, I'm afraid we might get things like combine soldiers suddenly turning friendly in the middle of a firefight for no apparent reason. There would have to be some careful coding done, I would think.

i don't think trained combine soldiers would ally with you against the combine just because you saved their ass. Even if he decided not to shoot you i don't think he'd fight his fellow combines just because you felt like pulling his fat out of the fryer

Yeah.....I dont really think the combine would do that......but it is a really cool idea.

Well hey.........they do have former enemies on your side.........the Vortigaunts are fighting with the resistance.......so thats kind of like it.

But thats more of a story thing, not like...you save them on the spot and they start fighting with you.

I think its more because they were freed from the Nihilinth.

If this sort of thing does happen, chances are that it woudl be scripted. Seems to me that you would have to give the NPC's a counciounce (however the hell you spell it)

Fender357 said:
Well hey.........they do have former enemies on your side.........the Vortigaunts are fighting with the resistance.......so thats kind of like it.

What are vortigaunts?

the alien slaves you know about player hight they got 2 arms 2 legs and a middel arm... they got green colars and shoot green zap rays at yuo ^^ ?

In real life I could see a Combine leaving cause you saved his ass, but not shooting his own guys. Its not really something a sane person would do. You don't shoot your buds who have saved your ass countless times cause another guy did it once.

XenoSpirit said:
the alien slaves you know about player hight they got 2 arms 2 legs and a middel arm... they got green colars and shoot green zap rays at yuo ^^ ?

Damn them all!

^_-

Those guys are on our side in HL2? That's awesome..!

lets not forget that the the combine are probably not all that human so they probably think very differently. and from the looks of it, they are highly disciplined

Back