NPC_Gunship

UK_Karlos

Reaction score
How do i spawn a gunship to selfdestruct and crash into a certain location.
Eg. The gunship flys over some buildings, its exploding, the engine is making funny noises and make a bee-line straight for a building. which then the building explodes on impact. (dont worry about the building ive already constructed one)

For that u need to set a path for it to follow
eg.
Path_track
Name: Gunship_path1

Doesnt the guinship actually have a crash path_track that it can follow? The noises can be done with ambient_generic and effects can be sparks and explosions i guess... But the actual crash can be hard to make.

Test test and test. Maybe you need to issue the commands though a point_servercommand. What do I know?

Ive seen part of how its setup but i carnt remember most of it. I think u make the gunship follow a path then when it reaches a certain point u tell it to selfdestruct. and then make it fly to a crash point that is marked off my a info_target. (I think anyway)
Any tutorals on the subject would be nice

I have a feeling this must be controlled ingame and not thru hammer... So a to of servercommands might be it...

Why wont VALVe let us do that from hammer I wonder :S

I have a feeling this must be controlled ingame and not thru hammer... So a to of servercommands might be it...

Why wont VALVe let us do that from hammer I wonder :S

I have no clue how to setup servercommands or anythink outside of hammer:dozey:

If I remember right, at the end of Lost Coast the helicopter would crash in the same place each time. You can compile it and see what they did.

edit, heres an example map I made. Its basic, but it works. It just has the gunship fly into a building and explodes, with a little smoke afterwards. I dont know how you would make start exploding before impact, but here it is.

(Right click and save link as)

http://blue.freepgs.com/crash.vmf

Ha, i found out how. With ur map as a guide i set the gunship to selfdestruct just before it reached the building. Lots of explotions and strange engine noises.

Oh....and in case anyone searches (as if that happens :p) and ends up here.

To issue commands in-game from hammer you create a point_servercommand. Then you send a "Command" Output from another entity top the servercommand where the override paramter is the command.

This would give the exact same effect as if the player typed the command into the console. And this works for multiplayer aswell (note that there is also a point_clientcommand) which means that you as a mapper can set specific variables for your map that will override the server settings, and you can also force mapchanges and whatnot.

Ha, i found out how. With ur map as a guide i set the gunship to selfdestruct just before it reached the building. Lots of explotions and strange engine noises.

Ah well if I looked a little more I may have found it. Oh well good luck with your map.

Another way to make it seem as if the gunship is exploding could be to parent env_explosion entities to the gunship and set them to go off when it hits a certain path point or after a certain amount of time.

Back