Nuclear Dawn Returns under InterWave

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
[br]As we mentioned earlier this year, InterWave studios the team responsible for the HL2 Stargate mod took over the dying Nuclear Dawn mod after many months of controversy and rage caused by the original development team. InterWave are hoping to rebuild Nuclear Dawn as their first commercial product and fulfil the great expectations of ND.[br]Today they have launched a new Nuclear Dawn website with new media and the latest ND news.
ND is a Source powered blend of first person shooter and real time strategy gameplay, with full base building, branching tech trees, and gut-blasting action in your average post-apocalyptic neighbourhood. With action from across the globe, 4 playable classes per team, RTS commander roles and earth-shaking weaponry of mass destruction.
Check out some of their new concept art in the media section. It seems Nuclear Dawn will be created this time.

In the interests of fairness, I shall refrain from delivering my opinion.

I just really don't see a market for it. Maybe it's just me.

What? They're going to make a mod that was practically vaporware into a retail product now? :|

boring boring and boring

Bah, ... :sleep: the raped sa74n's map and photoshoped it.
They should let it die... Which is a shame, i remember the count down hype and looking forward to it. : /

-dodo

Eh no thanks. If I'm going to get myself hyped over a RTS/FPS hybrid it's gotta be NS2.

Modern Combat... in the future?

Bah, ... :sleep: the raped sa74n's map and photoshoped it.
They should let it die... Which is a shame, i remember the count down hype and looking forward to it. : /

-dodo

Man, tell me about it. What's with all the photoshop shit? It doesn't even make the images look better either, just makes it seem as if they're disguising how turdy it really appears.

I remember checking out this mod years ago, and to put impressions down simply - it looked blaady f'ing good.

Oh, look, all the same media that was released 3 years ago, except now with MORE PHOTOSHOP FILTERS and being hyped even worse!

The new website is sexy, too bad that has nothing to do with gameplay. I hope for this team's sake that they are essentially just taking the name and setting/atmosphere because if they're trying to work off the old team's gameplay and code base they're pretty much screwed. In fact I have no idea what possessed them to pick up this mod instead of making their own.

I hope for this team's sake that they are essentially just taking the name and setting/atmosphere because if they're trying to work off the old team's gameplay and code base they're pretty much screwed.
I'm curious, why are they screwed if they are using the old team's code and assets?

Because they were mostly missing, underdeveloped and ultra-generic in terms of gameplay.

Why is this news only being reported now? Interwave picked this mod up ages ago

Today they have launched a new Nuclear Dawn website with new media and the latest ND news
That is why xdrive. I posted the original news article about InterWave taking over, but this is a further update on that.

I know ND has become synonymous with deceit and all that is bad about modding but this is a brand new team which has nothing to do with the previous disease ND suffered from. It going commercial is certainly the point up for debate here, and only that. I don't doubt the abilities of IW in completing it.

That is why xdrive. I posted the original news article about InterWave taking over, but this is a further update on that.

I know ND has become synonymous with deceit and all that is bad about modding but this is a brand new team which has nothing to do with the previous disease ND suffered from. It going commercial is certainly the point up for debate here, and only that. I don't doubt the abilities of IW in completing it.

I agree. IW will not complete it. Have a look at there stargate mod, it's a good mod, it's completed enough for a release but they haven't touched it since and no one plays it no more because of it.

I know ND has become synonymous with deceit and all that is bad about modding but this is a brand new team which has nothing to do with the previous disease ND suffered from.

If they really wanted to get away from that, they should have started up their own project. Picking up Nuclear Dawn - which was a bad concept and worse execution to begin with - makes them sort of like vultures going after a poisoned carcass. And only stupid (and soon to be dead) vultures do that.

I agree. It is a new team, give them a fresh start and try to ignore the past about ND's development.

I agree. IW will not complete it. Have a look at there stargate mod, it's a good mod, it's completed enough for a release but they haven't touched it since and no one plays it no more because of it.

As for the Stargate : The Last Stand, they have said on their forums that the priority is working on ND, after that they will revisit Stargate : The Last Stand.

If they really wanted to get away from that, they should have started up their own project. Picking up Nuclear Dawn - which was a bad concept and worse execution to begin with - makes them sort of like vultures going after a poisoned carcass. And only stupid (and soon to be dead) vultures do that.
The concept which sounds a tad unstable could work well if they are as good as they say, we will have to wait and see. The reason (I think) they've picked up the ND name is because everybody who knows anything about the modding community knows the name. It gives them a foothold or an extra advantage to say "You know the name Nuclear Dawn...well we are actually going to make it". The original team had coverage in a PC gaming magazine, the name is truly out there. Sure they could have started fresh but then they would be fairly anonymous.

The reason (I think) they've picked up the ND name is because everybody who knows anything about the modding community knows the name. It gives them a foothold or an extra advantage to say "You know the name Nuclear Dawn...well we are actually going to make it".

Yeah everyone knows the name, but I think everyone who knows it also associates it with photoshop, dave, and complete failure. I also think as far as their "first commercial project" goes, it's a bad move. They already showed themselves to be unoriginal by making the Star Gate mod. They don't need something generic that they didn't even come up with.

Maybe instead of giving hundreds of comments we could aswell wait and see what's gonna happen before we all draw conclusions? I hate it when people start making up conclusions even before a product is out.

It's called discussion. We are discussing things.
Personally, I find it very interesting that pretty much everyone that has posted thus far has a similar opinion. As a cross-section of the potential audience, Interwave should be concerned.

Guys,

photoshop and dave are, in the world of games development, universally hated. That we can agree on, and no one can blame any amount of aggro Interwave will attract because of that.

However, I'd like to make a couple of points clear:

1) The Last Stand is not dead. Interwave had the opportunity to work on Nuclear Dawn, inheriting the assets, and TLS had to be put aside for a while. We've been plugging away at getting a secondary team up and running to continue development, bug fixes, and the features that are missing from the game.

2) It is true that we are developing Nuclear Dawn, but it's going to be Interwave's ND, and nothing you've seen before. The models, textures, code, level designs and layout are being redone from scratch, and will be replaced by game launch.

Nuclear Dawn is the name, and it's still an FPS/RTS, but we've gone over the game design, weapons, mechanics and made it something that we're extremely excited about. The final product will allow players to engage in tactical combat without any RTS trappings, if they just want to shoot each other up, or to embark in massive campaigns where a commander fortifies the map around you as you play, to make your job easier, and your game life longer.

It's going to be awesome, and if we didn't believe that, we would not be making it. The reason we went commercial is that we could not in a million year produce this level of content and detail in a mod in useful time. Techconnect provided financial backing because they believed in the project, and all we're asking is that you forget past disappointments, and give us about 5 minutes of your belief. The site that's up, that is not a two dollar skin, and the material we're going to throw your way in the next three months will convince you... the Nuclear Dawn has been well worth waiting for.

Back