Nuclear Dawn update

Sulkdodds

Companion Cube
Reaction score
You wrench open the door with the full force of all your wrenching, boiling sorrow. Bertha is standing there, and she incenses you, more even than the last occasion, when she stole your credit card, representing the darkness at the heart of the human condition. "NOOOOOO!" you scream, and drop forlornly to your knees to check the mail. A dog-eared paper-based coneyance awaits with mounting suspence...a letter from America. It reads: 'take a look at the railtracks/from Miami to Canada.' This babylonian confusion of words frightens and bemuses you. Tearfully, you shut the door on Bertha, and go and look at the Nuclear Dawn website instead.[br]Nuclear Dawn has released some new media -screenshots, concept art, a complete (and intricate) timeline of the coming apocalupse, and, er, a fanfiction forum with short stories already resident (probably better than my above effort). The team promises "a month of media May-hem" so watch this space![br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
newsspacer2.gif
[br]
newsspacer.gif
[br]Click here to find out more, and the aforementioned fan fiction forum lies here.

lol the first concept art almost predates the internet. the artist who made it is at a whole different skill level now.

I thought new updates were supposed to be more impressive than previous ones.

Their custom texture work is very nice on the screenshots, with the normal maps and all. Why they release concept art again is indeed beyond me aswell though.

The media release is specifically geared towards the story sections and the Fan Fiction forum. The concept art is included because, like fan fiction, it is a depiction of an imagined time and space with its own imagined protagonists. It is there to support the text and to give fans a visualisation of what their stories could become in the mind's eye of the reader. We also have included some fan art which is not official, but that we have chosen to endorse to make it clear we appreciate fans getting involved. It's by Kamjar Fadai (concept artist for Project Hull Breach, my personal favourite mod after ND)

The news is entitled 'Flashback', a reference to the timeline shown on the Story section of the site which is the main crux of the newspost.

The maps are added to give people who aren't fans of stories something specifically multiplayer-related. I'm particularly fond of the selection as it really shows Robert's skill with ambient lighting and colour, which as an amateurish mapper I'm just in awe of, but you can make up your own mind on that. These images also give HL2 newsportals like this one something to put on their front page, or it would be a very bland affair indeed.

Most of the media for this month has been tied up in the magazine exclusive that Sulks forgot to mention in the newspost, but which we'll talk more about in the next newspost, which you certainly won't have to wait two months for this time.

(Oh and Harij, the concept art is old, perhaps even two years old, but that just goes to show how much preparation has gone into Nuclear Dawn)

eek, stop being so judgemental, some of you! the concept art is just to support the new storyline information we've been given.

and i am of the opinion that those map screenshots are pure sex. not just because of the atmosphere, but there's a shitton of original content in there, and it's high quality.

Those normal maps look awsome, it should be a must-have for every mod.

I think I'll get in on that fan-fiction forum...

Maybe I'll finally fall out of my writer's block and write something and not be a complete failure at life n_n.

DeusExMachina said:
I think I'll get in on that fan-fiction forum...

Maybe I'll finally fall out of my writer's block and write something and not be a complete failure at life n_n.
There's more than enough backstory to fully satiate you and get you started. I'm reading through the newly added timeline right now, it's great.

Yeah, I just read it, it's really well thought out. I hope they think of doing a SP campaign one day, there's a lot of info there.

Though, I think I'll wait until they release the 2016-2027 timeline and some info on the weapons and armor.

I'm very ready to read the 2017-2027 timeline myself, I usually am bored to tears by Middle-East related modern apocalypse type stories but this one is suprisingly engaging.

also,
Sulkdodds said:
You wrench open the door with the full force of all your wrenching, boiling sorrow. Bertha is standing there, and she incenses you, more even than the last occasion, when she stole your credit card, representing the darkness at the heart of the human condition. "NOOOOOO!" you scream, and drop forlornly to your knees to check the mail. A dog-eared paper-based coneyance awaits with mounting suspence...a letter from America. It reads: 'take a look at the railtracks/from Miami to Canada.' This babylonian confusion of words frightens and bemuses you. Tearfully, you shut the door on Bertha, and go and look at the Nuclear Dawn website instead.
wtf?

Wow. Wow at everything in that update. pros man they should get payed.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Wow. Wow at everything in that update. pros man they should get payed.

Dont' go saying that, with all these mods going pay because they got some backing and getting sold on steam, i'll have to pay for every mod thats looks any good what-so-ever. It will just end up destroying the mod community!

...arrrg, no pay! :sniper:

looks great !!! Brisk is an awesome mapper with a great eye for detail. I'm looking forward to this mod !

:)

agentbob00 said:
Dont' go saying that, with all these mods going pay because they got some backing and getting sold on steam, i'll have to pay for every mod thats looks any good what-so-ever. It will just end up destroying the mod community!

...arrrg, no pay! :sniper:

I don't mind paying for mods on par with professional games.

UltraNew_B said:
looks great !!! Brisk is an awesome mapper with a great eye for detail. I'm looking forward to this mod !

:)
brisck is more than awesome.

This looks amazing and if you don't think so, you've been holding that blink for way too long! :)

Back