Nvidia and Half life 2

ilovemetal

Reaction score
Well guys i was just wondering wat u all think about Nvidia cards running hl2!!! I run a 64mb sdram Nvidia GeForce4 MX integrated gpu... i ran doom 3 with 0 problems and with the best visual, but i dunno how it will run hl2.. ii wanna know so if i go out and buy it i wont be dissapointed :cool:

yeah im not joking that shit ran with no problem!! do u think my specs had anything to do with it:
AMD XP 3000+ 2.17 ghz.
1.5 gigs dram samsung ram
and more than enough space and then of course my nvidia card

HL2 depends more on your cpu than gfx card.

I went out an got a x800 xtpe (considered the best card around for HL2) but due to a bottleneck created by my cpu (Barton @ 2.5 gig) HL2 hardly runs any better than it did with my older 9800 rpo.

Doom 3, however, runs far better than before - better than HL2 infact (I guess that's a more gpu intensive game)

ilovemetal said:
Well guys i was just wondering wat u all think about Nvidia cards running hl2!!! I run a 64mb sdram Nvidia GeForce4 MX integrated gpu... i ran doom 3 with 0 problems and with the best visual, but i dunno how it will run hl2.. ii wanna know so if i go out and buy it i wont be dissapointed :cool:
And then you woke up LOL
i Have a X800Pro and had ultra setings everything high and still had a few rough spots a few. not noticable though.

If it runs Doom 3 okay, it'll probably run HL2 okay. I find Doom 3 to be the more graphically demanding, getting 45 fps for Doom 3 and usually 60+ fps for HL2.

ahh man hahahhaa thats coo though i am thinking of saving some mula up and getting a 9800 pro 256 mb, but my friend plays a low end nvidia on hl2 and it runs fine (we both have direct x 9)

yeah but i get mixed opinions from everyone.... me and like 20 of my friends play cs and cz and half life online but we dont wanna spend money on hl2 if we dont think it will run good... yeah i like wat u said DOOMED same with me i run doom 3 with the best settings and when cs source beta was out my fps was at 60.... and the video stress test was great with best settings but im a worry wart!!!

i got an nVidia GeForce FX 5200XT graphics card and the graphics are fine, might need a bit more ram to speed up loading but eh...

ASUS thank for that man but im on direct x9 so i think i will look better

ooo yeah and the thing is would u guys recommend me just installin it with the cd or doing it on steam??? would that make a difference?

GF4 MX/Radeon 7000 cards display DX7
GF4 TI/Radeon 8500/9000 cards display DX8
FX cards display DX8 (HL2 only)
9600/9800/X800 and GF6 cards display DX9

That you have DX9 installed does not change that, just if your game needs it to run or not.
If you go to near the begining of that review they show the difference between DX8 and DX9 with two shots, one looking at a Wall and the other looking at Water.

yeah but u see hl2 says u should have direct x 9 so am i right or not>????

If the card does not have the functions to follow the instructions then the game defaults to earlier DirectX version that it can display. It won't display DX9 it displays DX7 but it should run OK.

When cards that don't display DX9 say they are DX9 compatible, that means they will work on a system with DX9 installed. Not that they will display DX9 graphics.

if you have it yes, it would be wise to get dx9 if u dont have it already

again ASUS it says i am running direct x 9 ... in the game specs i play i see im set for direct x 9 and get wat is shows... and the thing is is GeForce4 MX good for hl2???

I see we are not getting anywhere. :\
Read the review. It explains that the GF4 MX displays DX7 and they go over the image quality and performance.

Play it and you will see. ;)

ooo shit and i just thought of this wat about overclocking??? Do you think i should overclock my AMD XP 3000+ from 2.17 ghz to 2.4??? and if so do u know someone or someplace i can find out how to do it?

From what I understand - you need directx 9 installed, but you won't see any of it's features with your card. HL2 will run fine, but it won't look as good as on newer cards that do support DX9 (various fancy effects will be missing)

oooooo i see i see but wats pissing me off is whenever i play any games its saying its using direct x.9.... and ASUS i read over that review that u gave me and i see where ur coming from and its best quality in resolution is 800 x 600

and another thing is wat if i bought a 9200 128 mb pro... would that support direct x 9?

9200's display DX8.
A 9550 or 9600 would display DX9.
Tips:Stay away from the SE cards and 128MB vs 256MB is a non-issue.

ooo i see man i am so thankfull for ur help.... but why would nvidia say im running direct x.9???? and wen i do get hl2 i will let u in on wat i am seeing... and on source it showed i was on diect x.9

Stop falling back to "....omg why is it saying im running dx9", it is not running dx9 because your hardware doesn't support it, period. Look at the water if u decide to buy hl2, compare it to screens, there will be no pixel shading and it will look like crap.

The reason doom3 ran fine on "full settings" is because you were not exploiting the engine's dx9 tech, so numerous things such as frame buffer distortions (refraction) were not there, and thus you had no problems and good speed.

doomed - uk said:
If it runs Doom 3 okay, it'll probably run HL2 okay. I find Doom 3 to be the more graphically demanding, getting 45 fps for Doom 3 and usually 60+ fps for HL2.

I get 70 FPS constant, ultra quality, 1024 x 768.. Full AA and full AAF on (per driver setting) in Doom 3.

I get about 40-50 fps, varying per level in HL2, 800 x 600 all settings turned down, Vsync off.

And you would say Doom 3 is more GPU intensive? I seriously doubt it :E

Asus said:
I see we are not getting anywhere. :\
Read the review. It explains that the GF4 MX displays DX7 and they go over the image quality and performance.

Play it and you will see. ;)

Yeah thats true but he asked if it will play the game ok. Yes it will but u wont get the best fps. Thats why I'm getting a 5700

Sucky Ducky said:
I get 70 FPS constant, ultra quality, 1024 x 768.. Full AA and full AAF on (per driver setting) in Doom 3.

I get about 40-50 fps, varying per level in HL2, 800 x 600 all settings turned down, Vsync off.

And you would say Doom 3 is more GPU intensive? I seriously doubt it :E

Definately - it's your cpu that's letting you down in HL2.

ilovemetal i dont believe you that u ran doom3 on best visuals. doom3 was built for 512 pci-express cards. i used to have your card and could only get 30 fps out of hl2!!! ur pc is too good for your card... 1.5 gig ram is WAY too much anyways. get a better gfx card

If your system can play Doom 3 with good performance then it will easily be able to handle Half-Life 2.

ilovemetal said:
ooo yeah and the thing is would u guys recommend me just installin it with the cd or doing it on steam??? would that make a difference?

To run Doom 3 with the best graphical settings possible on your card is nothing short of impossible.

guys i am not shitting u.... i literally ran doom 3 on the highest quality of settings and yes i ran it on 1024 x 768..... if you guys tell me i need a new video card what kind would u guys reccomend (the cheapest but with the best quality and can run dirext x 9) ohh yeah im very thankful for all your guys help!!!! just tell me about video cards and ill be good!

for some of u that dont know doom 3 runs better on nvidia cards because the game is opengl and nvidia cards rule on opengl

depends if u are stuck with no agp slot like me or not then that would help

Back