Nvidia and Half life 2

i think id need to open my comp up to see if i have pci or agp im almost 100% sure i have pci

ilovemetal said:
guys i am not shitting u.... i literally ran doom 3 on the highest quality of settings and yes i ran it on 1024 x 768..... if you guys tell me i need a new video card what kind would u guys reccomend (the cheapest but with the best quality and can run dirext x 9) ohh yeah im very thankful for all your guys help!!!! just tell me about video cards and ill be good!

The issue with many video cards and Half Life 2 is that even though the CARD can run DX9, and even though Nvidia/ATI will report DX9 in the info window, and even though WINDOWS will tell you your card can run DX9 and you have DX9 installed, Half Life 2 looks at your card, and makes a decision on what it thinks will run best. So what Asus was trying to explain is that for many cards out there, even though you will be DX9 across the board in anything else, you may be DX8 or even DX7 in Half Life 2. Read the articles he posted to get the list of which cards work best. I personally recommend an ATI 9600 (XT if possible). They are a little older, but still run great, and I can run HL2 on high all with my 9600XT. And you can get them for between $100.00 and $150.00 if you look carefully (here is one on newegg.com for $134.00 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-153-011&depa=1). Trust me, for the price, you cannot go wrong with this cards -- it runs DX9 great, supports pixel shader 2.0, and is hella fast for the price. It will be MUCH better than your current card.

dude major payne thats funnt i just went out and looked at the 9600's and i am ganna get one after christmas (thank god for gift certificates!! thats how im getting it)

Back