nVidia vs ATI - again...

coLE'

Reaction score
Right..

I've got £180 to spend on a new card PCI-E!

I was thinking of getting:
XFX GeForce 6800 GS Extreme XXX Edition 256MB GDDR3 @ 485MHz for £181

just wondering how an ATI card say for example, X850 would compare to this?

anyone got any information on this ?

They are about even, and since the GS got SM 3 and all that I would go for it.

Yeah, I would go nvidia in this case. A couple new games are going to be using SM3, so thats a more "furtureproof" card.

Spend thirty quid more and go for a 7800GT. Better price-performance ratio.

Can't seem to find any 7800GT's that don't use sli o_O on any of the sites i use

got any sites (UK) that sell em ?

so the SLi will fit into my pci-e x 16 interface mobo ?

coLE' said:
so the SLi will fit into my pci-e x 16 interface mobo ?

Yes, SLI just means you CAN have 2 cards but you dont have to. The 7800gt is an excellent card (I wish I had one!).

DrDevin said:
Yes, SLI just means you CAN have 2 cards but you dont have to. The 7800gt is an excellent card (I wish I had one!).

ahh right cheers - i was of the impression that sli card means sli mobo - thanks for clearing it up :p

Yeah... i'd save up a little more and get the 7800GT. Way better card; and it's not that much more expensive.

coLE' said:
ahh right cheers - i was of the impression that sli card means sli mobo - thanks for clearing it up :p

You just need an SLI mobo in order to run with 2 video cards in SLI mode.

Ren.182 said:
Yeah... i'd save up a little more and get the 7800GT. Way better card; and it's not that much more expensive.

Just had a quick look and found a Leadtek one HERE

What you guys think ?

Get a 6800 GT over the GS, if you're prepared to over clock, or probably even if you don't want to. GT has more pipelines, and more pipe lines == better performance.

The GT is a toned down version of the ULTRA, and it's only slightly toned down. You can easily over clock a GT to ULTRA specs.

Or do what other people said and save up a bit more for a 7800 GT.

After nvidia's TI-line deabacle, I'm pretty wary of nvidia cards. They got burned by producing a card that lasted too long and had to pay developers to lock out older generation ti-line cards.

That doesn't exactly bode well for built-in longevity of future nvidia cards.

If the 7800 is slightly more expensive buy that one mmokay.

Back