Odd feeling when playing Half Life 2

DrunkPanda

Reaction score
i get this odd feeling about half life 2. when i'm not playing half lief 2 i will sometimes get a strong urge to play it. but while i'm playing it, after about 30 minutes it starts getting really dull and i don't wanna play anymore. and the cycle repeats. am i just crazy or does anyone else feel the same way?

ya i know what you mean. I was like that because i didnt want to beat the game right away. So i would stop for the day, but the urge was still there.

6iXx said:
Have you already completed it?
no, i think i'm near the end of highway 17. maybe my strong urge to play it when i'm not playing it comes from a strong urge to see the end

If you consider HL2 to be dull you shoud stop gaming because it doesn't get better than this.

cuz i don't like half life 2 i should stop gaming? ok................

I go back to playing HL1 mods when i'm not playing HL2. I only do this because i'm playing these great mods that will eventually be ported over to HL2 on this great great engine. I didn't buy HL2 for the singleplayer game, I bought it for the engine.

so did i raziarr. i was just expecting more from singleplayer though. getting 10/10s is supposed to mean that everyone should like the game, regardless of whether they like the genre or not

DrunkPanda said:
so did i raziarr. i was just expecting more from singleplayer though. getting 10/10s is supposed to mean that everyone should like the game, regardless of whether they like the genre or not

Well that's not true, just because a game gets 10/10's doesnt mean everybody has to like it. Wherever you go, whatever the game no matter how revolutionary or great, you will find people like She and Spartan... and me because I won't even try Halo 2 because I know its stupid despite the 10/10's some reviewers/fans gave it =)

Already wasted money on Doom 3 by buying it knowing that I wouldn't like it, but just to try it. NEver doing that again.

I kinda know what you mean. I love the game and all, the graphics are incredible and the physics engine still amazes me, but single player isn't really my thing. It will probably take me another week to complete this game 'cause I can't play for more than about half an hour before wanting to do something else. I just hope it doesn't take too long for the multiplayer mods to come out. :(

I know how you guys feel. Although HL2 does not make me feel this way, 99% of other SP games make me feel like doing somethint else. They are usually repetitive with very little story, interaction, or depth--often all three. HL2 is the FIRST SP game in YEARS that has got me to WANT to play throught it. That is rare... I love the characters and the way you play at the center of the story--the closest thing to playing with real humans in SP yet.

MP games on the other hand... I cannot get enough of those :)

Raziaar said:
Well that's not true, just because a game gets 10/10's doesnt mean everybody has to like it. Wherever you go, whatever the game no matter how revolutionary or great, you will find people like She and Spartan... and me because I won't even try Halo 2 because I know its stupid despite the 10/10's some reviewers/fans gave it =)

Already wasted money on Doom 3 by buying it knowing that I wouldn't like it, but just to try it. NEver doing that again.
yeah i know that, but according to most review sites (in the "what do the ratings mean" section) it says a 5/5,10/10,100% etc means that the game is perfect and even people that aren't fans of the genre will love the game. obviously it is very rare for any game to get that kind of reaction so i think that instead of just giving out scores that don't reflect on the "what do the ratings mean" faq accurately, they should just rate the games lower. i think maybe if the levels weren't so drawn out the game would be more entertaining. there is just so many freaking times that you can stop your buggy to clear out a building full of combine and get back in to turn the corner and clea out another building full of combine before it just gets boring as hell. near the end of almost every level, i'm just looking forward to the beginning of the next level so that the level i'm currently on will be done forever.

Some people are more into Multiplayer,
I think we wil be seeing some great mods :)

oh yeah, we will definitely be seeing some spectacular mods. multiplayer was 90% of the reason i was looking forward to half life 2. in fact, if we had some sort of death match to start off with or something, i wouldn't even be complaining about singleplayer cuz i wouldn't care if it was boring or not

death match works... here are the instructions:

console:

net_start
sv_lan 0
deathmatch 1
maxplayers (whatever you want)
map (mapname)
restart

I have to say i felt exactly the same way about the game myself, parts of the game i really enjoyed but there were large parts that were very tedious and uninspired. This was something that i didnt expect at all, i really was expecting non stop immersion, but to me the pacing of the game was all off. I would just get bored after an hour or two and go do something else.

TBH i'm just a little confused, some sections of the game felt very rushed to me, and there were so many boring map designs which looked fantastic, but i just didnt find them very fun. I kept getting severely tired of driving the damn airboat, or running through collpased tunnels in the city only to come back up and find myself doing exactly the same thing i was doing before.

IMO the problem is that the game is too generic, which i really hate to say because i thought the game would be anything but that. I think there was too much weight placed on the face poser tech and the physics, which let the gameplay suffer a little.

Its not that i disliked the game or anything, but for me HL1 was the superior effort. I'm talking comparitively, HL1 was way more impressive to me when it came out, then HL2 seems now compared to other recent fps's.

EDIT : i should add that i was looking forward to HL2 primarily for the SP, i do like MP games/mods but SP is my main interest.

so when are the multiplayer mods comming out? has valve mentioned anything about it?

Just finished the game 10 minutes ago.. I gotta say WOW! Best FPS experience EVER. Better than original HL. With all the physics engine stuff etc... I just hoped it would've not ended so soon.

I had that urge too, and that's something that comes only with a good SP game. But I never felt like stopping the game after 30 minutes, like the original poster of this thread did. I always wanted to play on. And about my username (just registered, hi all), I want to say that Half-Life 2 is a No-Life 2, because like with the first HL, all I did is played the game until I finished it.

Good job Valve. Rarely does the sequel get better than the original. :cheers:

it is great game... but IMO its just a little bit like a superb version of halo - it feels really polished etc, vehicles respond exactly as they should (well, except that buggy). Anyway, im at a similar bit to you, the end of highway 17 and it gets a bit dull... I HATE ANTLIONS. forgot to add that people who hate halo seem to hate HL2.... well, from what ive seen. Am i the only one who thought halo when u played through?

same, i havent finshed it yet. its strange, im going to continue in a few mintues but geez.. games ive been half interested in i i havent been able to turn off, putting off sleep, yet past four days ive only progressed a little, after playing for a bit i exit to do something else, when im still bored and have nothing to do. and ive been waiting for this game like no other.
what i have seen so far is a damn good game,
amazing sights and sounds, but so far black mesa feels more homely.

edit: the npc's should have spoken abit more about your position in this, immersion in this respect could have been better.

DrunkPanda said:
i get this odd feeling about half life 2. when i'm not playing half lief 2 i will sometimes get a strong urge to play it. but while i'm playing it, after about 30 minutes it starts getting really dull and i don't wanna play anymore. and the cycle repeats. am i just crazy or does anyone else feel the same way?

Maybe you psychologically don't want to complete the game because you know when you do there'll be no more Half-Life 2 !!

Back