OFFICAL Steam pakages, CS:S next week READ !

jlsk8ter said:
HL Fallout has received word from Valve's Gabe Newell revealing the much anticipated Half-Life 2 retail and Steam (info) packages. Also revealed, the full version of CS:Source will be available to Steam purchasers next week!The Half-Life 2 offers have been finalized. Details are pasted below. The Steam offers will be available for purchase next week. Those who purchase via Steam, will receive the final version of Counter-Strike: Source immediately. Half-Life 2 and other games in the Steam offerings will be made available to purchasers upon their release.Retail Boxes
Standard Edition — includes HL2 and CS:Source. Ships on six CDs, in one of three box-art packages (Gordon, Alyx or the G-Man),

Collector's Edition — includes Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source, a Half-Life 2 T-shirtand a Prima book sampler. Ships on a single DVD.
Steam Packages
Bronze — HL2* and CS:Source.

Silver — HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam.

Gold — HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam, Complete Strategy Guide from Prima Games, 3 different Half-Life 2 posters, Half-Life 2 hat, Half-Life 2 postcard, Half-Life 2 stickers, Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD, Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).
*To be made available upon product's release.

The Steam packages are especially impressive. And with the chance to play CS:Source straight away, these are some exciting deals. Up for a trip to Valve, anyone? While we haven't received word yet on pricing for the Steam packages, more information should be released via Steam in the near future.

:| Why doesn't Collectors Edition come with DOD: Source?

Jesus Lincon said:
Im thinking of getting gold, but that doesnt come with a shirt :/

No, but it comes with a . . . wait for it . . . POSTCARD!!!! Maybe it's from City 17. "Having a blast! Wish you were here!"

whoah whoah whoah! What about us with ATI Vouchers? Which package do we get?

Shens........ I would Buy gold but I really just want a hard copy to come with it.

And didn't they say CE would be in both DVD AND CD-rom versions?

Swizzel said:
so has this been confirmed as real...and if so how come there hasn't been a news post?
it certainly seems like front page material, if true that is

i think we are waiting for confirmation.
especially after the whole Gabe's account hi-jacking over at HL2Fallout.com.

:| Why no DoD: Source with Collectors Edition!!>!>!>??

what about ATI Voucher holders? What package do we get?

Well. Im going to get the gold package (granted its not some outrageous sum of money). And I also plan on getting the regular version in the store for the hard copy. But I think I'll wait a little while before I get hyped up (like i'm not already). Gawd release the game already.

Homer said:
I'm getting colder on the idea of steam by the day. Thinking about it, shouldnt a game that comes with no cd or manual cost less than in a retail store? would it not make sense to see halflife2 on steam for 30 bucks because of the low distrobution cost?
Yes, but you forget Vivendi. Contractually, I believe, Vivendi won't let them make it so cheap that people don't buy it retail (which would take $$$ from Vivendi). Vivendi is seeking an injunction against Valve to keep them from distributing it via Steam at all.

My philosophy: buy Steam to screw over evil Vivendi-megacorp

Excellent move by Valve. The Steam packages look much better than the VUG packages. I assume CSS wasn't covered in any contracts.

Now people will buy though Steam just for the full CSS and the longer VUG delays HL2, the more sales they will lose out on.

Superb work Valve, the hat comes off to you for this one!

so dialup users that want the physical stuff in the gold package are out of luck. no soup for you!

doesnt seem right though.

Estevan said:
BLAAAAHHHHHHHH FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF BLAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! huuuuh

Well, I meant a little bit more thoughtful posting than spamming, but oh well...

4 questions of the hour:

1. Is it real? EDIT: ok, so it is.

2. Why isn't DOD:Source released with CE?

3. How are they going to ship the gear that comes with the Steam packages?

4. What package to ATI vouchers get?

Mr. Redundant said:
I dont really trust the validity of your info (no offense) however if it were true, that would please a lot of cs:s junkies.

It's legit.

TMPer Tantrum said:
Excellent move by Valve. The Steam packages look much better than the VUG packages. I assume CSS wasn't covered in any contracts.

Now people will buy though Steam just for the full CSS and the longer VUG delays HL2, the more sales they will lose out on.

Superb work Valve, the hat comes off to you for this one!

Very much seems like a smart move on valve's part if this is all true plus maybe HL2 sooner that way, nicely done! :cheers:

So if you want DOD: Source, you HAVE to buy from steam? I want a physical copy from the store and there is no way in hell i'm paying twice for the game. pffft. Terrible.

:| Answer our questions please for our kids sake! I am going to Half Life 2, I wanna physically grasp it, hug it, kiss it, love it . Besides who knows what disaster might happen on Steam and you don't have yer handy dandy CD installer now eh? Besides I wanna keep the game for my kids to play.

Is DoD: Source being included in Collectors Edition!?!?!

-Viper- said:
Well, I meant a little bit more thoughtful posting than spamming, but oh well...

4 questions of the hour:

1. Is it real? EDIT: ok, so it is.

Answer #4 First!!

Yay stick it to the man!
Estevan: I believe you get just plain ole' Half-Life2 and CS:S. Thats it. Done. Over. Termine.

Democritus said:
Well, there you go. Wow. Cool! Vivendi is now blowing a gasket :LOL:

rofl. well put. steam is going to be buzzing with activity

VU can suck my big long juicy Licorice that i like to keep in my cabinet :p

antimatter said:
So if you want DOD: Source, you HAVE to buy from steam? I want a physical copy from the store and there is no way in hell i'm paying twice for the game. pffft. Terrible.
Yes, that's a ridiculous decision from Valve though i know why they did it.

Day of Defeat was originally published by Activision. There's a chance they still have a contract with them. It's probably not worth it to ship it as a standalone game and Valve don't want to sign any more deals with Vivendi to allow it as a free game with Vivendi published retail purchases of HL2.

I guess steam was their only choice.

DAMNIT DAMNIT!!!!
:flame:

I don't care if I have to get it through Steam, as long as all that cool gear arrives in a reasonable state and hour.

just another way for Valve to milk your cash.

since CS:S is the multiplayer component of HL2, it should have been made available (in beta) to everyone.. not just CS:CZ holders and Coupon holders... it was made available that way, so that people would purchase CS:CZ for the express reason to play CS:S (I know quite a few people who did), hell they even lowered the price to 30bucks to add that extra incentive.

this way, people will purchase the game now, they get their revenue now, people who werent going to buy through steam now have quite a big reason to instead opt steam for their HL2 purchase.

as with most things Valve does, its about marketing strategies.
I do admit they do an awesome job.
backhanded yet with a smile.

Cliffe can you tell us what the people with ATI VOuchers get? I would say Silver but anything higher would be great!

I'm sure im not the only non-US resident wondering this so...err...any idea if the contents of the gold package will be able to be shipped internationally? If so then...umm..w00t!

i believe the vouchers get the 'clay' version. its a collection of all the binks from hl2 and a hl2 whistle. congrats!

Probably because DoD: Source won't be available when HL2 is available; so it's kinda pointless to charge people 10 bucks or more for what, at this point in time, will be essentially nothing.

Uhh.. through the mail, maybe? :) Whether or not the buyer pays for shipping is the question you should be asking, cause SOMEONE has to pay for it..

Probably the standard edition.. HL2 and CS:S. (Back when the SP only version was still being discussed, Valve said that the voucher was going to include multiplayer and wasn't going to be the collectors edition)

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

BTW Cliffe what are you doing up at 10:47 at night? Its passed your bed time mister! Dont want to ruin your CS ownage sleep do you?

I'd imagine the ATI coupon holders getting the bronze package. Whenever you get something for free, its usually the worst of the bunch. At least from my experience.

I'll bet they have some system on Steam where if you have the retail version or bronze version from Steam, you can upgrade to get DoD:S or HL:S for a lesser price. It would be rediculous to have to pay for HL2 again if you want to play DoD:S or HL:S later on. It's probably around $10 or so, any more and I wouldn't bother.

Back