Official E3 2004 DISCUSSION Thread

Penny arcade saw Gabe on their plane to e3... and made a comic about it.

Attachments

• 20040512l e3 gabe newell on plane.gif
    20040512l e3 gabe newell on plane.gif
    99.8 KB · Views: 333
Sai said:
are you serious, weren't you around when ign's new preview of hl2 kept a very big amount of people up until the late hours of night, b/c it was being released at midnight at l.a. time?

No. I'm from Sweden also, so the time of release doesn't really matter. The movie still takes time to DL. Basically what you do is begin dl at the morning/evening, and then leave it on for the day/night. Then you can watch it either when you come home from school/work or before you go to work/school.

Regards
Dead-Inside

umm..Just to be sure, when does the e3 start? I think the time zone is -5 GMT there right? So it should be around 12 PM there..afternoon? I wanted to ask this cause there hasn't been too many news from there yet? I'm a little bit confused, or are all the big companies aiming for the evening?

So how long 'till the HL2 presentation? Jesus these time zones are making crazy! Does EST stand for Eastern, like Eastern time? Like Eastern time in Canada&USA

29 minutes then the doors to e3 will open

/Me bombs Majestic
Really though, this E3 hasn't even gotten going and its already a good one.

Direwolf said:
/Me bombs Majestic
Really though, this E3 hasn't even gotten going and its already a good one.

Agree... cant wait for the handheld things :)

Not to mention this board has slowed to a halt, at least for me.
Lots of gadgets though, the Sony PSP has my saliva glands in a tight grip and the Nintendo DS doesn't have the looks but it shure has the features.

Oh and did i mention that a "certain" game with zombies 'n stuff (yes brainiac i mean D3) has unsurprisingly announced a "summer 2004" release? I'm shure i've heard that somewhere else ... can't remember where though :p

good things people, good things

Okay, a site we all know just posted that they spoke with Gabe and Doug this morning on E3 and ther's still NO fixed releasedate set (apart from summer). However there is something going on with Counterstrike. More info tonight they say..

edit: added the 'apart from summer' part

That eurogamer article gives me an idea: Why would Valve have one demo in the Vivendi booth and one in the ATI booth? Possibly because the game they want to demo in the ATI booth is not being published by Vivendi.

RoyaleWithCheese said:
Okay, a site we all know just posted that they spoke with Gabe and Doug this morning on E3 and ther's still NO fixed releasedate set (apart from summer). However there is something going on with Counterstrike. More info tonight they say..

what site?

dscowboy said:
That eurogamer article gives me an idea: Why would Valve have one demo in the Vivendi booth and one in the ATI booth? Possibly because the game they want to demo in the ATI booth is not being published by Vivendi.

Or it could be because they still have a business relationship with ATi....

RoyaleWithCheese said:

Ok this is great news... It would be definitively cool to have some Counter-Strike2 Footage or screenshots. I played Counter-strike for about 3years. I've never been hooked to a game like that before. I doubt it will happen again. But Counter-Strike2 can change my mind, who knows...

That actually might be possible, but this then forms the question, why is gordon in the ATI e3 banner?

Eurogamer also reports the following:

The legendary online FPS Counter-Strike is to receive a Souce-engine makeover and re-released this summer, Valve boss Gabe Newell revealed at E3 this morning.

Following the latest showing of numerous gameplay demos of Half-Life 2 (which will be available for download via Eurogamer later today), Newell surprised the 20-strong audience by showing off the Aztec level of Counter-Strike running in Source.

Oh wow, CS on source in the summer? That'd be pretty cool

So maybe the future update for CS will be porting it onto Source, I wonder if they will do the same for DOD.

Anyway I wasnt expecting a release date, Its understandable they dont wanna give one out only to miss it, even if it was just a few weeks.

Wow... bizarre. ??? So CS2 is just CS in Source? What's the point of that? All they could add to it would be higher detail models and textures... I'll reserve judgement until I see more, but it sounds pretty... goofy. I guess they just want to continue development on Counter-Strike but with the source engine instead of the HL1 engine.

I'm hoping the summer CS2 release will include a lot of additional content, not just "CS on Source". But given that the demonstration was "Aztec on Source"... I just don't see the point of doing a release if there isn't new content (not just better textures and models), that would be rediculous.

EDIT: Shuzer is right, nobody said anything about CS2, my bad. I still think it would be rediculous to do a commercial 'release' if it's same game - new engine. Here's hoping Valve's CS team has been producing a lot of new content.

dscowboy said:
Wow... bizarre. ??? So CS2 is just CS in Source? What's the point of that? All they could add to it would be higher detail models and textures... I'll reserve judgement until I see more, but it sounds pretty... goofy. I guess they just want to continue development on Counter-Strike but with the source engine instead of the HL1 engine.

They never said that it was CS2. Wait for the video, we'll see

dscowboy said:

I'm hoping the summer CS2 release will include a lot of additional content, not just "CS on Source". But given that the demonstration was "Aztec on Source"... I just don't see the point of doing a release if there isn't new content (not just better textures and models), that would be rediculous.

Like Shuzer said there's no mention of CS2, just a remake of CS. What they are probably doing is updating some of the tech to take advantage of Source as a holdover untill they release the actual successor.

On a sidenote, is anybody else having problems with the HL2.net forums? it takes a full minute and a half to refresh the page...

I beleive the combination of E3 hysteria and that video HL2.net are hosting is contributing to the slowness.

Synthaxx R-or said:
Eurogamer also reports the following:

The legendary online FPS Counter-Strike is to receive a Souce-engine makeover and re-released this summer, Valve boss Gabe Newell revealed at E3 this morning.
You forgot the kicker:

"When quizzed, he said that the game would not be a free update, but would in fact be released commercially via retail and for download via Steam at the same time as Half-Life 2, at the end of this summer.

"All other Half-Life content would also be made available in enhanced form, he said, including Half-Life itself, Team Fortress, Opposing Force and Blue Shift. It is not known what the retail price will be, but it is thought to be at standard budget price."

I'll be the first to say that this sucks. They've more than made their money off those products. Why couldn't they release them as free downloads for owners of Half-Life 2? Maybe they'll be included with the Collector's Edition.

I wouldnt hold out on the re-release of CS on the source engine as being anything but CS2. I mean I think your being a bit overly optimistic there....

I could be wrong though.

hehe im more interested in HL2 to be honest, cant wait for the demo videos to get uploaded.

And source offers alot of possibilities to the CS team, im sure they would do more than just copy paste the game onto the new engine, although i can see it having the same gameplay.

if they released the whole collection at a budget price tag, id pay :O

this is why the Subscription is a good idea, and also i think it would be ludicrous for valve to miss the HUGE commercial opportunity that is CS2.

Mountain Man said:
You forgot the kicker:

"When quizzed, he said that the game would not be a free update, but would in fact be released commercially via retail and for download via Steam at the same time as Half-Life 2, at the end of this summer.

"All other Half-Life content would also be made available in enhanced form, he said, including Half-Life itself, Team Fortress, Opposing Force and Blue Shift. It is not known what the retail price will be, but it is thought to be at standard budget price."

I'll be the first to say that this sucks. They've more than made their money off those products. Why couldn't they release them as free downloads for owners of Half-Life 2? Maybe they'll be included with the Collector's Edition.

Hehe, hadn't even read that. I'm skimming headlines faster than my mind can comprehend at the moment :p
Also even the pre-show movies and pictures allready take up 666Mb of harddrive space (is that a sign? :) ), and i'm still downloading.

My head hurts :rolling:

About Eurogamer:

Does that means that all the stuff relating to Half-Life have been redone with source ? HL and all exp packs ??

Lobster said:
if they released the whole collection at a budget price tag, id pay :O
That might be more tolerable, but I was under the impression that they planned to release each one seperately. Of course, I could be wrong.

Stef said:
Does that means that all the stuff relating to Half-Life have been redone with source ? HL and all exp packs ??
That's how it reads at any rate.

"When quizzed, he said that the game would not be a free update, but would in fact be released commercially via retail and for download via Steam at the same time as Half-Life 2, at the end of this summer"....

So Gabe is saying HL2 will be released at the end of the summer, but Doug says HL2 will be released in the first half of summer.....zuh?

holy crap, new CS video, big interviews, early summer release dates, 3 consecutive days story.... where do we even begin?

I'm totally bamboozled now, I want to know what's going on :/

So has there been a HL2 demonstration already? Some guys at the halflife-radio site told me it would be at 7:00ish PM
Sorry for asking this all the time, but I just can't get the time zones right, and it confused me more when I saw that eurogamer.net has a HL2 demonstration video

I just watched the video, and I must say GAWD DAYUM!
This game is looking more awesome since last year. I especially like the grim atmosphere, the no-win situation is something they (as far as the video goes) have conveyed very well.
Also the graphics themselves look like they had a facelift, but again this is only a shakeycam so there's no way to tell yet.

The little piece of Counter-Strike running on Source is also very well done. Exactly like it should be, not innovative, but more of a facelift. Should be even more impressive once CS2 info surfaces.

By the way, the load times of the site are now reaching the 3-5 minutes per refresh. I suggest that if there are videos hosted on HL2.net, they be cut until the storm passes. This should alleviate some of the bandwith problems.

Back