Official Overclocking Thread- ALL questions go HERE

Sgt.Igneri

Tank
Reaction score
Guide: Newbs guide to overclocking

Follow this link for an overclocking guide with Intel's Core 2 CPUs.

In light of all the OCing threads and questions, i thought i would make a tutorial here.

Here are the requirements:

1. At least one fan blowing into the case, and one blowing out.
2. Good cooling method. I would reccommend not OCing unless you have a quality cooler.
3. Good temperatures. I would say around 40-50C load on Barton AMDs, and 50-55C on P4 "C".
4. A decent ambient temp(room temperature)
5. A STABLE motherboard. Abit and Asus are reccommended.

Now, lets get going.

Pentium 4 "C" Overclocking

First, get very familiarized with your BIOS, your going to be in there alot, and i mean that. Before you start, make sure you have all newest mobo drivers available, and check what the newest BIOS fixes. If it fixes something you should be conserned with, you need to do a BIOS flash (instructions will be on manufacturers website) Go into BIOS and set all options to "user defined" this way you now have full control of the OC***ALSO SET THE RAM:FSB RATIO LOWER BEFORE YOU START, KEEPING IT AT 1:1 CAN RESULT IN THE BEEP OF DEATH:eek: :x***

Next, download a CPU stress test such as prime95. This will raise your CPU temps to the max while testing system stability. The slightest fault found will shut down the test. Run prime95, and monitor your temps. They shouldnt go above 55C, unless you have an Abit IS7 or IC7 series, they display 10C higher then they really are.

Get into BIOS again. Set the AGP/PCI to fixed, on 66/33mhz. Now start the OC. P4 multipliers are locked, so you can only OC by changing the FSB. I would say go up at about 20-50mhz intervals, ONLY if you have a P4C. If not i reccommend lower increments. Ok, so you up it 30mhz or whatever. Now you exit BIOS and do a simple run in prime95, for about 15-30 min. while monitoring temps. If it doesnt find an error, proceed to OC more, if it does, then you MAY need to up the voltage core on the CPU. Ok so as you get higher in your OC, each time, run prime95 for a longer and longer time. Eventually you will start getting instability problems. Now its time to up the voltage.

***NOTE***CHANGING THE VCORE RESULTS IN TEMPERATURES SEVERAL DEGREES HIGHER THEN BEFORE, IF YOUR TEMPS WERE BAD BEFORE, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING THIS. Go into BIOS, and under the soft menu, look for the Vcore. Up it to the next one available. Run prime95 for about an hour *closely* monitor your temps. If they stay under 55C, move on to OC some more. Its pretty much rinse and repeat from here. Once you get to your final destination, its time to do a serious stress test, like 12-24 hours to ensure complete stability. Now, lets start tweaking everything else out to match the OC.

Go into soft menu, were going to start tweaking the RAM. Start to set it to a tighter ratio, getting closer in sync to the FSB. Keep doing this until you cant anymore.*5:4 divider is reccommended for new OCers*

Check stability. Go into BIOS again, this time go to "advanced chipset features" Set the RAM timings to user defined. The higher the number, means looser. Looser= less memory bandwith, lower=tighter= more bandwith. Pay attention, timings are key to getting performance out of an OC. First find out your CAS timing, it should be on the manufacterers website. If its not at that rated timing, put it there. Now seperately tighten each timing and test stability.

Those are the basics for the P4.

AMD AthlonXP/Sempron Overclocking

NOTE:Most AthlonXP's and all Semprons have locked mulitplyers now.
AMD is very similar, but a little diferent. The biggest thing youll notice is the layout of softmenu in BIOS. You dont have to only up the FSB to OC, AMDs multipliers are unlocked so you may change them. Just in case your wondering, you get the CPU speed from multiplierxFSB. To use the OCed CPU, you need to select "enabled" for one of the options in BIOS(cant remember name, just look to the right, itll show an explanation of each setting) Dont forget to chose a good FSB:RAM ratio that wont screw your RAM up.

Ok, so choose what you want to do. Up the multiplier and keep the FSB the same, or up the FSB, which will also up the clock speed without touching the multiplier. Basically, just OC with the FSB unless you want to keep the FSB at stock.

Same thing, slowly apply the OC, instead of 20-50mhz increments, i would do 20mhz increments, or less, on an AMD. Blah, do the stress testing and monitor temps, etc etc. Once it gets unstable try upping the vcore to the next level.

Once at destination, peform a 12-24 hour stress test with no faults. If all goes well, move on to tweak the RAM(read P4 sec. for details) if it doesnt underclock in 5mhz increments till its ok.

AND, there you have it! Wasnt too complicated was it? Those are just the basics, as you get more experienced youll learn more and better techniques.

AMD Athlon 64 Overclocking

Athlon 64's have their multiplyer locked while the FX's have their multiplyer unlocked.
Technically Athlon 64's don't have a FSB. They have a base clock which controls the CPU speed and a hypertranport (HT) link which is the path from the System to the CPU. The base clock on all Athlon 64's is 200Mhz.

The BIOS will either list the HT speed as a multiplyer (1x,2x,3x,4x,5x) based off of the CPU's base clock or it will say the full speed (600MHz, 800MHz, 1GHz). If your BIOS lists it as a multiplyer, it would be a good idea to lower it one notch so that it does not interfer with your OCing. Lowering the HT speed a bit will not hurt performance, unlike lowering the FSB speed on other CPUs.

The base clock controls the CPU speed just like the FSB does on other CPUs. It can be listed as Base Clock, CPU Speed or FSB in the BIOS. Increase it in increments of about 20Mhz before booting into Windows to see if it is stable.

Higher memory speeds will have a big impact on performance because of the Athlon 64's onboard memory controller. Memory speed is determined by a ratio (in 6ths) of the CPU's base clock. So an example of some of the ratios would be: 4/6 (133MHz), 5/6 (166MHz), and 6/6 (200MHz).

If it become unstable and crashes then increase the voltage slightly. Temperature will rise more with higher voltages of course. If you have an Athlon 64 FX CPU and you have hit a wall then you can try to increase the multiplyer to see if you have any more room.
*by Asus

ATI/Nvidia Overclocking

Much easier then OCing the CPU, but it canbe more dangerous. Make sure at LEAST one fan intake and one exhaust. Youll need special applications to OC a gfx card.

For nvidia, youll need either coolbits: http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_coolbits/ OR Rivatuner: http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/

For ATI, youll need Rage3d tweak: http://www.rage3d.com/r3dtweak/

Ok, so lets start. OC in 1-5mhz increments, DO NOT take a big step, you screw it up big time and itll fry. You screw up a CPU OC and just reset CMOS on motherboard, a bit different, especially on expensive cards. After each OC, run a game that is gfx dependant, or a benchmark like 3dmark03. If you get artifacts, like messed up gfx, then the card is unstable and overheating, and youll start undercloking, if its fine, move on. So instead of monitoring temps like on a CPU, your going to look for artifacts in a game. Do the same until you find instability, then underclock 1mhz at a time till its stable.

And thats all for gfx card OCing.

Questions anybody???

I have a question, why would you up the multiplier instead of FSB on an AMD chip? One of the main points of overclocking is getting your FSB higher, not just the clock speed. You're supposed to lower the multiplier a good deal and see how high you can get your FSB, then raise the multiplier to a decent level and see if it runs.

If you read the whole thing, i said you can do it either way. So lets see: you want to OC a 2500+ to a 2800+ then you would only up the multiplier... You want to OC the 2500+ to a 3200+ then you up the FSB and keep the multiplier at 11 or lower.

to someone new they wouldnt have a clue thats why we tell them that lower multiplier and higher fsb is better for performance in applications such as gaming

Overclocking a 2000xp+

Ok boys and girls... here is a challenge for you... i want uber performance for **** all!

My current set up is...

A 2000xp+ AMD processor
ASROCK K7S9XE MOBO
768mg 2100 DDR
and the graphics card doesnt count cos i know i need a new one...

I currently have my FSB at 166 = 333 mhz

my mobo doesnt allow adjustments to the Multiplier but thats ok as its already set at 12.5 which is damn high

so if you work it out my fsb @ 166 multiplied by 12.5

that means my current speed in ghz is

making my 2000xp into a 2600xp

which is a moderate boost IMO. What i want to know is...

My CPU supoprts 333mhz fsb (which its set on...) how can i get it up higher? safely?

i recently tried setting it to 170 x 2 = 340

which it seems to be stable on... @ 2.12 gig but when i tried to set it to 175 windows wouldnt load in... it would get to the windows loading screen then restart?

What do i need to do...

ALL help and suggestions will be much appreciated...

but please dont say "buy a barton 2500 cos dey is 1337" because i dont care...

oh by the way im on Stock Cooling (standard HS/F)

Average temp is about 38-40 degrees C

Thanks

TheRook :bounce:

come on people? oh well its about 6ish in the states so guinny and should be on soonish... as he knows his fsb overclocking shizzit

and i was hoping zool would be on but i left it a bit late as hes in sweden i believe and its about 12.30-1.30 there now :/

but come on people i know u know ur overclocking...

i know my technology troubleshooting crap... but i need overclocking info...

TheRook

Your RAM may be holding you back. If you want, you could try to increase the timings. That may give you more room but not sure how that would effect the actual performance (with the higher timings and all).
Maybe look into unlocking your CPU.
What chipset is on that board anyway? nvidia/via/sis

So far it looks like a good OCing job ;)
Assuming you do not have the stock HSF on there.
Have you increased the voltage at all (cpu or memory voltage)?

MAYBE, you can read my guide dedicated to overclocking at the top of the page.

Originally posted by Asus
Your RAM may be holding you back. If you want, you could try to increase the timings. That may give you more room but not sure how that would effect the actual performance (with the higher timings and all).
Maybe look into unlocking your CPU.
What chipset is on that board anyway? nvidia/via/sis

So far it looks like a good OCing job ;)
Assuming you do not have the stock HSF on there.
Have you increased the voltage at all (cpu or memory voltage)?

the k7s8xe board is a sis board...

i have stock hs/f on there...

i havent increased the voltage to either...

not wanting to sound ungrateful sgt igneri... but i dont find your overclocking thing "that" helpful... but i have read it...

im not too sure i an increase the voltages... ill have to restart to check my bios for that one...

TheRook
:bounce:

p.s. anyone know why when my fsb is at 175 when loading into windows it just restarts?

Ok, you dont find it helpful. Its ok, i know you know more then most people, but you still could have posted this question in the guide. I can answer any of the questions, but i refuse to until this is posted in the guide.

you need to but pc2700 or 3000 or 3200you could try running a 4:3 ratio that might allow it.

Yuor ram is desighned to run at 266 MHZ your running your system at 320+ MHz there will be some 'give ' in the ram but not that much.

ok i havent seen a feature to set the ram at a ratio...

the cas latency is currently set a 2.5T

ive looked in the voltage part of my bios and i cant adjust any of it...

ok im at 171mhz fsb at the moment at 174 it reboots loading into windows...

i will solve this problem!

so you think its my RAM slowing me down?

(i know i need some more... i was looking into 2700 so i can get 1gig or so in my pc...)

TheRook
:bounce:

First off, you need to run a stress test, like prim95 each time you OC. You have no way of really telling its unstable and since it is OCed pretty high with the stock HSF, it most likely is quite unstable. Second, buying a 256mb stick of PC2700 and combining it with PC2100 RAM will do nothing. The PC2700 will run at PC2100 speeds. Third, make sure all settings are turned to "user defined" then you can change voltage, etc.

ok ill get prim95 right away...

its actually very stable...

(i myself am surprised...)

im not jsut gunna buy 1 256 stick of 2700 :) i may not know too much about overclocking but i do know a fair bit on pc's... overclocking is where im currently lacking... so im find out as much as i can...

the odd thing about the ASRock K7S8XE MoBo is that it has 3 memory slots... it can hold a max of 3 gig 2100 ram... 2 gig 2700 ram and 1 gig 3200 ram...

basically 2100 i can use all 3 slots which is what im doing now... 512,128,128

with the 2700 i can use 2 memory slots

and with 3200 i can only use one...

and as 1gig mem sticks arent that cheap... im sticking with the 2700 so i can get 2 512 sticks...

so... if i get faster ram... i can basically increase the FSB more?

the fsb on the cpu where it says 333mhz (2x166) isnt actually the max it will go at? but the speed of the memory which limits it?

so if i spent more cash and got the 1gig stic of 3200 i would be able to have it at 200fsb (x2) and it wouldnt have a huge problem although it would mean better than stock heatsink and fan :)

TheRook
(correct me if im wrong in understanding this...)

No. Getting a higher RAM speed does nothing with OCing, unless you want to run a 1:1 ratio. If it has better timings, that can help though.

So its the other way around. If you get higher speed RAM you will be able to OC your RAM higher.

BTW, dont even think of saying the word "stable" until you run 6-12 hours of prime with no faults.

lmfao...

um i got prime95...

set it going and um... that was it... just froze... about 3 sentences came up and numlock wouldnt turn on and off...

so i take it thats not stable...

TheRook

:flame:

possibly chose the wrong setting ive taken the fsb down to 166 and set it running my cpu usage is supposedly at 100% but i can do all this fine.... altho its actually using my page file....

hmmm

seems ok tho... how long does it take to do a test?

I suggest resetting CMOS, start everything frfom beginning, OC and run prime each OC.

All of the stuff you asked, was answered in the guide, you just didnt read it.

oh... well

i cant be bother to do that... each time... its running prime95 just fine at 166 so ill leave it at that and just buy some better memory....

i mean 2000xp to a 2600xp aint bad really... for a "first time" cpu overclock...

TheRook

and what if my cpu gets too hot? will it auto shut off? or will it jsut fry like a mof***er?

:)

Therook

Monitor the temps for about an hour, however high they get then will pretty much be as high as it will get throughout the whole test.

It shouldnt be any higher then 50C.

It shouldnt be any higher then 50C.
Holy #$^&!!!

Are you serious? Without OC'ing, my motherboard reports a temperature of somewhere around 54C. Argh, and I thought those two intake fans were enough...

Ok, lol. My abit IS7-G also reads 55C, but it reads 10C higher then what it really is. What mobo is it?

Originally posted by Draklyne
Holy #$^&!!!

Are you serious? Without OC'ing, my motherboard reports a temperature of somewhere around 54C. Argh, and I thought those two intake fans were enough...

theres this simple thing called AIRFLOW...

its where cool air comes in and hot air goes out...

i think your problem is you probably dont have a fan on the back of your case blowing the hot stuff out...

therook
:smoking:

Ahh, the condescending tone burns. Seriously, that's insulting. I know about AIRFLOW. It involves various imps from hell.

But I never said I wouldn't do anything about it, so I've switched one of the intake fans to exhaust. Haven't looked at mobo temps yet.

I'm using an MSI 845G something something mobo. P4, and a hot Radeon 9700 pro.

Well, hl2 is about, and im at a 2600+amd system, with a ti4600 video card..
i know how to up the video card a bit, which i have replaced the stock heatsink/fan, with a nicer set, and memory heatsinks...
but, i was really wondering, how should i go about OC'ing the processor, which i might want to do, so i keep my FPS in hl2, at 30fps or greater..
i would mainly like to increase my FSB, to 400, from 333, should i leave the multiplier the exact same?, and how much would the temperature of processor go up? currently at 35C, but before i overclock , i am going to buy some artic silver 3 + lap the heatsink.
- advice on my exact setup.. please.
- volcano 11 heatsink/fan currently running at 3500rpm, goes to 5200rpm max.
- i have a bunch of case fans, im in the basement..

argh, forgot something, the volt level thing, did confuse me...

If your going to OC just to get more FPS in HL2, then thats no good, because you will get perfectly fine FPS as it is.

But if your going to OC for a bigger e-penis then thats cool:p

If you want to OC the FSB to 400, keep multiplier at stock until you reach your FSB destination, then up the multiplier. The temps really wont go up at all when OCing, until you up the vcore. When you up the voltage in an OC, you can get further because it allows the CPU to be more stable, but at the same time it also raises temps by maybe 5C.

vcore is at 1.650, 12.5x166 speed.
my goal is 400fsb, should i leave the multiplier the same?, and i do want stability, so whats a suggested vcore setting?
plus i do want a bigger e-penis, my friend current has the same computer as mine, except hes getting a radeon 9800pro soon!
so, ill have to fight that ^.^

You keep the vcore at what it is now. As you OC, your gonna reach a point where prime95 or some stress test will fail quite often, thats when you up the vcore to the next level. If you want to up FSB, keep multiplier at 12.5 and OC FSB, but this will also raise the clock speed. If you JUST want to OC the FSB, and keep the 2.08ghz, lower the mulitplier and up the FSB.

okay, some setting or something is wrong...
when i tryed to OC, i just increased bus at first, from 333 to 400
yet... it failed to OC.
>.<
u can see my specs in my sig.. thats what i have, got any suggestions on what else i might need to do in my bios? winter is alrdy here, i get 93F idle temp alrdy, and i turned up my fan to full when i did try to OC so...

plus, when ever i try to oc the cpu, it gives me a "your computer has no keyboard" message
then i have to restart again, and then it gives me, "failed to oc" message

Originally posted by Washuu
okay, some setting or something is wrong...
when i tryed to OC, i just increased bus at first, from 333 to 400
yet... it failed to OC.
>.<
u can see my specs in my sig.. thats what i have, got any suggestions on what else i might need to do in my bios? winter is alrdy here, i get 93F idle temp alrdy, and i turned up my fan to full when i did try to OC so...

plus, when ever i try to oc the cpu, it gives me a "your computer has no keyboard" message
then i have to restart again, and then it gives me, "failed to oc" message

Lower the multiplier from 12.5 to 11 or so. Your CPU can't run at 200 X 12.5 = 2500 MHz. Try 200 X 11 = 2200 MHz

Yes the multi should be at stock for now- 11. And i hope you didnt OC from 333 to 400 in one OC...

Back