OldBoy

Slacker

Reaction score
I can't be the only person who loves this movie to death, right?

Great, great movie. I love everything about it, especially the ending and how it built up to it.

But yeah, there are lots of fans. It's one of the more popular and highly acclaimed eastern movies in some time. They were planning a US remake but I think it fell through, thank god. Justin Lin, a guy who made one overrated indy film (Better Luck Tomorrow) and a host of shitty pop movies like Annapolis and Fast and Furious 3 was set to direct it.

"Rated R for strong violence including scenes of torture, sexuality and pervasive language."

I gotta see it. :p

Best revenge movie I've ever seen. I couldn;t see that twist coming at all. Made me watch it again right away afterwards just to see how different it felt. One of my favorite movies ever. Period.

I just bought Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, which is the first part of the vengeance trilogy.

Oldboy is the second and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is the third one.

They're all about vengeance and by the same director, but the plots aren't actually connected as far as I can tell.

There is a movie called Angel Heart with Mickey Rourke and Robert De Niro that has a similiar plot twist.

The story invovles a man, Harry Angel, who is hired by the devil :devil: , Bobby D, to look for a man named Johnny Favourite down in the Bayou. Let's just say there is some incest, which is hot!:naughty:

Best revenge movie I've ever seen. I couldn;t see that twist coming at all. Made me watch it again right away afterwards just to see how different it felt. One of my favorite movies ever. Period.

SPOILERS

One of the reasons I liked it so much is because I actually did think that it might be his daughter ... but quickly disregarded that idea as ridiculous. They threw a couple hints out there to plant the idea in your mind, but kept it far enough at bay so that you don't completely buy into it. I still remember having a very uneasy feeling during that sex scene. Extremely well done, great movie.

Ahhh, I love this film.

SPOILERS!!!

When theres the flashback of the guy holding his sister over the edge of the dam, I actually got tears in my eyes, and I don't know why..

Yup, great film. So was the first. Have yet to see the third, but its out in the States at the end of September, so that will be a good time indeed.

Yup, great film. So was the first. Have yet to see the third, but its out in the States at the end of September, so that will be a good time indeed.

Yeah, I've heard Lady Vengeance sucks, but meh, I loved OldBoy and Mr. Vengeance, so I'm looking forward to it.

I really liked Lady Vengenance. My brothers got Mr. Vengenace but haven't watched it yet. Watch J.S.A, thats a good Chan-Wook Park movie. Can't wait for his new movie, I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK (Shame on the shitty title though).

I have J.S.A on my blockbuster online queue.

I was hoping his next project was just a working title, but I guess not :\.

I have nothing to add over what everyone else has said: it's a fantastic movie. Try to watch some of Choi Min-Sik's other films, like Swiri and Brotherhood, which are also excellent.

Honestly, within the last decade South Korea has raised the bar above Japan and Hong Kong in terms of producing quality films.

I have nothing to add over what everyone else has said: it's a fantastic movie. Try to watch some of Choi Min-Sik's other films, like Swiri and Brotherhood, which are also excellent.

Brotherhood is a great movie, I rented Swiri a while back but didn't get a chance to watch it, but my brother wasn't too impressed so I gave it a pass. Watch Bittersweet Life, my 2nd favourite South Korean movie, some brilliant cinematography.

I didn't really like The Brotherhood of War. It started well, but soon became overly melodramatic and descended into sillyness. Then again, I don't really rate Old Boy that much (a second viewing did improve things a little), and thought the other Vengeance movies were boring.

I'll get my coat :)

Brotherhood is a great movie, I rented Swiri a while back but didn't get a chance to watch it, but my brother wasn't too impressed so I gave it a pass. Watch Bittersweet Life, my 2nd favourite South Korean movie, some brilliant cinematography.
Yes, A Bittersweet Life is superb. I agree that the cinematography is excellent, and the art style and decor is just... gah, awesome. It's sexy and stylish, and has some of the most memorable film moments of recent times - the weapons dealer, and the bloodbath at the end.

On Swiri, I have to admit that by Western standards, the plot and pacing is very outdated. It's a very basic film by Asian standards, but it still retains the S. Korean flavour, and is well-acted. I'd definitely say give it a watch. It's fairly unique also in that it addresses the North-South struggle in a pretty neutral manner.

I liked it, but I was only half-watching the last half. Ending was still like omgwtfpwned though >.<

Back