omg who in the hell saw gordon?! :| omg :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't put all that down to one feature. Half Life had a lot more than a lack of self-interaction that made it special...

Brian Damage said:
I wouldn't put all that down to one feature. Half Life had a lot more than a lack of self-interaction that made it special...
yeah mainly it came downt to Hl1 being... RELEASED, DAMN YOU VALVE GIMME HL2!!!11111!!!

Lobster said:
50 Goty awards and 5 years of benchmarked singleplayer.
Ahem. I never said the game sucked. I am jsut saying that Gordon Freeman is you pretty far out there.

They remove any chance of you feeling there is a pre-made character while ingame.
If you don't know who you are since you can't see yourself in mirrors or hear yourself talk and yet people keep calling you gordan you really feel like you must be gordan. It brings you into the game and character like no other game.

I guess if these guys can't understand and get past this dimension of immersion then let them be confused. hehe

They should really go back and play HL1 again...if they ever did in the first place.

ray_man, Lobster didn't say that the game sucked, he simply meant that that was what which made it innovative and get those awards.

Everyone who wants to hear gordon talk in game might as well send that wish list to santa clause, cause it'll never happen, especially while valve is around. Having gordon not talk or actually be seen worked in HL1 so beautifully, and I'll be damned if I want to hear him say anything in HL2.

I want to lose myself in the game, and have the feeling that everything in the story is happening because of my actions, rather than because I am following a script, and hearing gordon talk would totally ruin that.

The reason you dont hear gordon is it would take away what you thougth of him, Im not really good with words , so ill try to explain it anyway. Its like halo, they dont want you to see master cheifs face because they dont want to mess up the image you have in your head, you never know he could be black. that way, master cheif has different meaning to everyone. same with gordon, he could talk really nerdy, or be a total hardass. its what you want him to be.

He's the masterchef, underneath he's wearing a chef's uniform and a hat under the helmet. He has a mustache and he makes a mean pizza.

A lot of folks get the "you are gordon freeman" comment mixed up.

It doesn't mean that gordon is a placeholder that you replace with yourself.
It means that they are trying to make as few non-immersive moments as possible, giving you the best availiable Gordon POV.

FPS character's reflections, especially while they are moving, look ridiculous.
So, they had the option of giving the world model hyper realistic movements on par with the NPCs (no more duck jump and leaping around), putting mirrors in even if they only served to make things look worse, or just skipping the hassle and just not including mirrors.

Valve had a choice between no mirrors and bad mirrors. They chose the former.

can whoever's in charge of handing out ranks make a new one called "Board Munchkin"

Then it can be awarded it to the worst poster of the day, and the next day be passed to somone else.

If thats me for today then I accept, but please first consider this topic starter first.

Andy said:
can whoever's in charge of handing out ranks make a new one called "Board Munchkin"

Then it can be awarded it to the worst poster of the day, and the next day be passed to somone else.

If thats me for today then I accept, but please first consider this topic starter first.

I concur.

______

This is why I like to stay away from the half-life 2 parts of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back