Only 60fps at 1024x768

Status
Not open for further replies.
.. i am kinda gettin worried after seeing these benchmark results.. i mean 1.5 ghz isnt to close to 700 mhz right? ...lol

what's exactly is the range of playable framerate??

I finish splinter cell with around 20 fps (most of time below 20). In the worse scenario, the framerate drop to about 8, i just turn on the black and white night vision goggles to raise fps back to about 18.

When it comes to hardware, I'm glad to see someone making a game for the future and not the past. I don't know how well my computer will play halflife2, but another year or so, I'll be upgrading to another computer and I believe by that time it will run halflife2 very well along with TF2(I can only hope).

Currently I'm using an Alienware computer.
AMD XP 2100
1GB pc2400 corsair memory
Geforce 4 4600

I'm sure I got enough memory, but im not sure how well the processor and videocard will do.

Anubis

hehe, im going to play this game with a p3, 256 RAM, and my piece-de-reistaunce...

A TNT2 Graphics card.

if theres anyone here who's worried, just think of me. the guy whos going to play it on a 3 1/2 year old computer.

I feel for you Thadius !

I hope in tonight's benchmarks they will show the differences between 512 and 1 gig of ram.

Originally posted by Thadius Dean
hehe, im going to play this game with a p3, 256 RAM, and my piece-de-reistaunce...

A TNT2 Graphics card.

if theres anyone here who's worried, just think of me. the guy whos going to play it on a 3 1/2 year old computer.

Sound like a true gamer :cheese:

as long as the frame sticks at about 25-30 fps your laughing. I always thought that games were better at rates higher than that until recently. I just played through 'Chaser'. The game ran beautifly on my then 4MX card, no snags or slowdown with everything up high. I wasn't until found out how to turn the FPS counter on that I realised that the average was only 20fps, I'd have sworn it was twice that. It was only when I actually knew the framerate that I even noticed.

60 Fps would be lovely thank you very much.

By the way if you want to kill some time before HL2. Chaser is a good solid FPS and very very long. Multiplayer simple but pretty cool too. Feels and looks very HL2 in parts, not a bad engine.

you guys need to remember that these framerates are with all the visual effects turned on... half-life 2 will run on slow systems, you just wont get ALL the cool DX9 effects. you CAN play HL2 NOW... it just wont look as good as it will in 1 year when you have new hardware. This is good because it means when you upgrade in a year the game will look nicer, just as iff valve released a new version. I played HL1 in 800x600 software mode and enjoyed it immensly... and when i upgraded it looked nicer and played smoother, but i still enjoyed it with my crappy computer.

Originally posted by Thadius Dean

A TNT2 Graphics card.

Dude, spend $30 and upgrade to a GF2MX at least. ;P

i heard gabe say he runs hl 2 at max graphics with 2xAA thats all you really need right now..... don't be greedy

my p3 1000 768 sdram radeon 9000 pro 128mb will do fine :) 25-30 fps is what I am aiming for at 1028x768 with mid settings

im just wondering, am i right in saying Half-life2 will configur the settings on its own depending on what PC you have. So it will configure the settings for a good frame rate.... or did i just make that up....?

IIRC, HL2 will reduce detail, (etc) to maintain a target framerate. I believe you'll also be able to turn this behavior off.

By the time I get HL2, I will have my system tweaked as much as it will allow.

I think some people don't even think about tweaking their systems, but I do and I have had instances where tweaking this or that has improved my framerate by 30% or more.

So.....tweak your BIOS, your memory settings, your video card, your DX settings, whatever you can.

jesus what was all the bs about the minimum reqs then? no way would those comps be able to run the game decently when the performance is like this for the top hardware.

i swear i better get 20 fps + with my p4 1.7 1 gig ram geforce 3

Originally posted by kinggi
jesus what was all the bs about the minimum reqs then? no way would those comps be able to run the game decently when the performance is like this for the top hardware.

i swear i better get 20 fps + with my p4 1.7 1 gig ram geforce 3

That will depend on your detail, AA, AF, and resolution settings. You will certainly be able to get 20+ fps. You could probably get near 100 FPS if you turned everything down to the level that a min-spec computer could play it at. But do you want to have high FPS and ugly graphics?

Originally posted by AmishSlayer If I find somebody to sell my 5600 to, I plan to buy an ATI

try the Doom3 forum.. u might find a buyer there.. /me snickers

i have some questions.. hopefully someone here can answer them..

• does the amount of ram u have make a difference to the performance and features u can turn on/off?
  • will there be a significant performance increase for 256mb version of cards over the 128mb version of cards?
  • the 9800 XT or 9900 Pro whatever u wanna call it, will it score significantly higher in terms of fps with having AF and AA turned to max?
    [/list=a]

im going to be purchasing a video card in October, and if the 9800 XT does perform better, i may consider it.. but need to find out how much better than the 9800 Pro will it be..

i have a question: the 9600pro has good results (well they'd do me) anyway i have a amd 1700 and was thinking about getting one, and running it at 1024 x 768, will the cpu power limit me a lot? (btw im not too bothered about dx9) thanks

A bunch of people don't seem to get the idea of scalability. It does NOT mean you will be running full details on a 733mhz TNT2 at 60FPS, it means that many of the graphical features can be tweaked to run on lower machines at good FPS.

yeh i know i just wanted to know whether the amd 1700 was going to be a bottle neck or not

I know, really. The human brain stops seeing individual frames at ~24fps. Up till 35-40, there's gradual improvement. 40-60 is pretty much true-to-life, and past that is, essentially, overkill, unless you're rendering individual things moving exTREMEly fast, and using extremely small distances between draws.

heh no i think it is 82-87 average for most people, above this the brain cannot register any noticeable difference. 60 fps is great as long as it is a consistant fps ie doesn't drop below that point hardly at all. Its consistency that you want rather then a high point that you reach only when stariing at a wall.

lighten up ppl :)

Originally posted by oMarKs
yeh i know i just wanted to know whether the amd 1700 was going to be a bottle neck or not

oh... I wasn't talking to you, sorry..... to answer your question::frog:

Originally posted by oMarKs

I have the same processor with a 9800 Pro and 768 mb ram on my system, and I e-mailed Gabe a while back and asked him how Half-Life 2 would run with this configuration, and he told me: You should be just fine

Re: Re: Only 60fps at 1024x768

Originally posted by Gordon'sFreeman
Movies run at 15 frames per second so wtf is the big deal?

Movies run at 24, video at 30.

Originally posted by spitcodfry
I have the same processor with a 9800 Pro and 768 mb ram on my system, and I e-mailed Gabe a while back and asked him how Half-Life 2 would run with this configuration, and he told me: You should be just fine

Yes, you will be just fine, but the 1700 will probably be your bottleneck...

I've got a 1800+ w/ 1 gig of RAM and a 9700pro and I'm planning on upgrading the processor (I got it 2 years ago, so I'm about due)...

All those physics and AI calculations can tax the processor quite a bit.

Re: Re: Re: Only 60fps at 1024x768

Originally posted by Parasite
Movies run at 24, video at 30.

And you eye can still notice flicker/choppiness in gaming framerates that are faster than that...

OmG!!!11 St34m 0nly rUns t3h chEckars @ 60 fps, but BATTLECHESS = t3h rUn3s at 70 fps on my 486!

J00 suxrs VALVE!

Grrr why is everyone acting like idiots?

and i quote "I only have a 2ghz with a 9800 Pro, my computer probably wont even run hl2 :( guess i will have to upgrade"

*sigh*

YOUR COMPUTER WILL RUN HL2 JUST FINE, SETTLE DOWN AND QUIT WHINING ABOUT THE REQUIREMENTS. DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE YOU POST!

Its great to see a new game finally willing to push current hardware specs, should make the game look great for a long time.

All hail hl2. ;)

Originally posted by Ahnteis
That will depend on your detail, AA, AF, and resolution settings. You will certainly be able to get 20+ fps. You could probably get near 100 FPS if you turned everything down to the level that a min-spec computer could play it at. But do you want to have high FPS and ugly graphics?
Exactly. On all but the most bleeding edge hardware, you will be forced to find a compromise between visuals and performance. Being a budget conscious gamer, this is the dilema I've faced for years, so I guess I really don't see what the hoo-hah is all about. Tweaking a game for my hardware is par for the course.

Re: Re: Only 60fps at 1024x768

Originally posted by Gordon'sFreeman
Movies run at 15 frames per second so wtf is the big deal?
movies are displayed differently, they are shown in that our eyes blend the frames together and everything looks smooth, plus we aren't in control of them, it's obvious going from 15-->30 fps.. and even more obvious going from 30>60 .. 15 fps isn't a playable game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back