Only using one core?

Spoudazo

Reaction score
Played this game for a while, and noticed apparently the game was only using one core instead of two (like Shadowrun, Quake 4, COD2, etc.) or all 4 cores (like Supreme Commander, Lost Planet, etc.)

Any idea if this will be updated? I saw the news about Valve's quad-core tech demo (the rain and particle effects tech demo), and I'm just hoping it will be implemented soon.

Apparently when the orange box is released the whole core thing/particle physics will be implemented. This is most likely because releasing it before the release of HL2/Portal might mess things up.

I remember reading an article where Valve said they were going to release an update for multicore support, just the only game thats going to be released with it is Episode 2 apparently. They could end up adding it to Team Fortress 2 by the time Orange Box is officially released though.

Well, Team Fortress 2 runs great even on one core. I just wish there were more "stuff" to blow up/interact with (like in CS:S, HL2:DM, etc.). I really think the consoles are holding it back. :(

Well, Team Fortress 2 runs great even on one core. I just wish there were more "stuff" to blow up/interact with (like in CS:S, HL2:DM, etc.). I really think the consoles are holding it back. :(
Not really, if that was true they would just be releasing Team Fortress 2 as a standalone product on the consoles since envionment interaction is a major part in all the other games in the Orange Box(particularly Portal). I think Valve just decided adding destructive enviornments/movable crates and such didn't benefit the gameplay enough to add.

Apparently when the orange box is released the whole core thing/particle physics will be implemented. This is most likely because releasing it before the release of HL2/Portal might mess things up.
i don't think so... that wouldn't make any sense at all...
why betatesting tf2 using a soon-to-be-replaced engine, then?

Not replace, just update, like when Valve updated Source to use HDR lighting.

Well done Sherlock! They could simply recompile each game under the new engine (2007) and release an update for every other Source game.

Back