Open Source Compiler

Reaction score
Any good development enviroments that are Open Source? I'd rather like to stop my cycle of pirating Microsoft Visual C++ .. heh

there aren't any good IDE's out there that are open source which can take the place of vc++ 6, at least none that I know of (and trust me, I have looked). You can just write the code in a text editor though, and use a command line compiler, that's free...but I doubt it's what you'd want.

what's with the Apple avatar :)

EvNTHriZen said:
Yes.. Dev-C++

it's FREE, and has some good things about it.

damn, forgot about this :)
I tried this one before, it didn't really suit me (IMO you can't beat Visual Studio), but who knows how it'll work for you. God knows it's a hell of a lot better than my shitty suggestion :)

I'll check it out :)

If not, I do have the money to buy Visual Studio .NET Standard..... :)

Dev-c++ is brilliant for programs that don't make heavy use of GUI's, it makes me laugh when people pay for VS when all they need is a slightly more advanced version of notepad.

I still think you should just use something more simple like Dev-c++ untill you need VS or whatever to help you layout your windows ect. Dev-C++ has a class browser and auto complete features, so if your programming a command line program or a game then you should be OK.

I have never used VS but I have used delphi/kylix (object pascal and C++) and QT desighner (C++, linux only), needless to say they both let you get lazzy and do things without understanding the code behind them. However they are both very useful for makeing GUI applications, but in my opinion you should know how to make a GUI application without them.

ray_MAN said:
Borland C++BuilderX. Excellent compiler for you. Get it here:
http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_cbuilderx.html
DevC++ is only OK because when you code you have to add in the extra line of unnecassary code to make it run right.

and what line of code would that be?

BTW: neither C++builderX or dev-c++ are compilers, they come with compilers but you can use different compilers with each one.

Like "endl" or something. It isn't really a pain in the ass. It is just unnessary.

"endl" tells the stream to flush the buffer. You need to use it in VC++ as well..

I have used DevC++ and it worked just fine for a freee compiler to help me get what it is i needed to learn how to program....

I use '\n' instead of endl, I'm not sure if they do exactly the same thing but they both start a new line.

PHP:
cout << "I want PIE" << endl;
cout << "I want PIE\n";

I just used PHP tags to highlight the syntax. It would be nice to have some C++ code tags. Especially as the HL2 SDK will be in C++.

Wait it is...
Code:
#include <iostream.h>
[b]#include <stdlib.h>[/b]

int main()
{
     cout<<"Hello World"[b]<<endl;[/b]
     [b]system("pause");[/b]
     return 0;
}
Compared to:
Code:
#include <iostream.h>

int main()
{
     cout<<"Hello World";
     return 0;
}

The second one is CBuilderX and the first on is DevC++(that unnecessary code is in bold). Maybe it's because I am lazy, but IMO it's unnecessary for a Hello World program of any one for that matter. :dozey: :)

PHP:
#include <iostream>

using namespace std; 

int main()
{
    //variables
    int value1 = 5, value2 = 2;
    int * myPointer;
    int * pointer2;
    int anArray [] = {1,2,2,3,4,6,7,810};
    int Num;
    bool Correct = false;

//code

myPointer = &value1;
    *myPointer = 10;
    pointer2 = &value2;

cout << "Value1 == " << value1 << " pointer == " << pointer2;
    cout << "\n Geuss a number in the Array: ";
    while(!Correct)
    {
        cin >> Num;
        for (value1 = 7; value1>=0; value1--)
        {
                cout << "In for loop ";
               if (anArray[value1] == Num)
               {
                              cout << "\n!!!It's true!!!!\n ";
                              Correct = true;
                              break;
               }
               cout << "In for loop after IF ";
        }
        cout << "In while loop after for loop ";
    }
    cout << "\nEnd of program";
    return 0;
}

I can't remember what this code is for (if anything) but it compiles in Dev-C++ and doesn't contain any of that stuff Ray_man is talking about.

Also note it uses iostream not iostream.h which is now outdated and no "using namespace std;" is not unecessary. namespaces are used for a good reason, I have no idea what it is but i bet it's a good one. :p

mrBadger said:
Any good development enviroments that are Open Source? I'd rather like to stop my cycle of pirating Microsoft Visual C++ .. heh
Just something to consider, first of all. Dev-C++ is a nice free compiler/IDE however there are a few things that you'll generally need to know. First off it's not good for developing windows applications. Secondly, it will not work with DirectX at all. Microsoft's .lib and the GCC's .a import libraries are incompatable. Secondly, it's not as good as optimizing code as the MSVC.

I'd say use Dev-C++ only for learning, developing for non Windows OSes, or for apps that use only free libraries available specifically for the GCC . and why are you pirating an ancient MSVC :p .NET 2003 architect enterprise is available you know ^_~

Fallout2 ... it's just to tide me over till my cheques cash and I can buy .NET 2003 :)

mrBadger said:
Fallout2 ... it's just to tide me over till my cheques cash and I can buy .NET 2003 :)
well whenever I get the 2,500$ I'll probably buy it too, but by then Whidby (code name for the new .NET release) will be out, if not another release :p

You might want to look at delphi as well, that has a C++ compiler and IDE, plus i think it's slightly cheaper and there's demo.

Kylix the linux version is free but a bit useless, especially when there's QT builder.

You can use directx with dev-cpp. Simply download the mingw utilities here and use reimp to convert the directx .lib files to .a files. Or simply use the update utility to download the dx9 DevPak.

Bert said:
You can use directx with dev-cpp. Simply download the mingw utilities here and use reimp to convert the directx .lib files to .a files. Or simply use the update utility to download the dx9 DevPak.
They made a DX9 devpack? That's interesting, I knew they had a DX8 one but then again my Dev-C++ strangely ceased working several months ago even after repeated reinstalls, I have to wonder if the reimp violates some licensing terms MS puts out though.

I use the GCC.
My favorite IDE is KDevelop, I like it more than the Visual C++ IDE (I tried the Working Modell before)!

Problem with Dev-Cpp is that to compile and use the HLSDK. Dev-Cpp can't open the MS VC++ project files that makes compiling a DLL in the SDK rather easier. Otherwise you'll need to do a lot of stuff to get it working....

It's worth some more effort to save yourself alot of money.

I like KDevelop (with the GCC Compilers) very much. It's IMHO better than VC++!

GCC and the MingW compiler are basically the same, the MingW compiler is a Windows port of GCC. GCC is good for almost anything, it takes almost any language and produces almost every binary format known to man, but it really really sucks on C++. The code is slow and badly optimised, the compilation process is slow and it has some nasty bugs when it comes to templates, multiple inheritance and such. (And since everyone in the Linux/Unix community hates C++, those aren't going to be fixed as fast as they would if they were C bugs)

Kylix and friends require too many non-standard libraries on both Linux and Windows that it will be hard to produce binaries under 500 KB without shipping 10 DLL/SOs.

Under Windows, there are few compilers that can beat .NET 2003's C++ compiler. It's fast, produces good code and has very few bugs (all bugs version 6 had are fixed AFAIK, and that's not few).

If we move away from free compilers, Intel has a really good C++ compiler that gives .NET 2003's a match, it can optimise really hard for Intel's processors.

Personally, i use Emacs for all coding (and almost everything else too) and GCC to compile it.

Emacs as in Editor Macros, EscapeMetaAltControlShift, EightyMegsAndConstantlySwapping, or whatever. One of the better (IMHO the best) editor/multitool available. http://www.emacs.org.

Back