Opposing Force Redux - Released

Loke

Tank
Reaction score
Redux is a complete visual and audio overhaul for Opposing Force. Containing new models, sounds, sprites and some map enhancements to immerse you into a new level of game play. Even the smallest of details have been reworked to give your now fancy ass gaming computer something to chew on. This is not a Source project/port.

Currently in development, we have replaced near over 550 sounds, and 50 models and showing progress towards more. Redux takes advantage of every feature in the Half Life engine. From transparencies, chrome effects and additive textures used in ways thought to be outdated. Along with crisp new sound effects, high quality models which polygon counts are hardly never below 1,000 keep the always proud Opposing Force looking its best.

- http://www.editor321.wlrgroupco.com/index.php

Download link (more mirrors to come)

water_29010.jpg

idle%20grunts.JPG

non-sense, it looks cool
Edit: omg it's samon, i take it back, it looks so bad...
no but really, the weapons are worse, the players look a bit better, don't ya think?

This is a good example of exactly why the half-life marines should not be 'updated' to look like they came from Iraq.

Hint hint black mesa source. :p

pibandana.jpg

I see no similarity.

Lies, they both have the determined "I could break your neck with my eyelid" scowl on them. D:

-Angry Lawyer

i agree, the soldier look badly skinned, somethings need to be left alone, this is clearly one of them

meh. too much whiners in this forum :p but ill join ewwww wtf is that 5h17!

If you're talking about the cammo on the soldiers, I think that's an attempt a digital cammoflage, not that that excuses the poor texture.

I was excited when I read the title, but now am disapointed. I played opfor, though not entirely legitamately, but got rid of it, and was rather hoping it would be redone on the Source engine, as that would be pretty neat. I do not understand the point of this though: same game, new models and voices?

You people are crazy. Or blind. Or crazy and blind....or just maybe just graphics whores.

It looks great!

French Ninja said:
You people are crazy. Or blind. Or crazy and blind....or just maybe just graphics whores.

It looks great!
Coming from a man who thinks art is shaking a paintbrush over his head, good day to you sir, I SAID GOOD DAY!

Did anyone else notice it looks like they are in some HL1 map? Look at those old-ass textures.

Mechagodzilla said:
This is a good example of exactly why the half-life marines should not be 'updated' to look like they came from Iraq.

Care to elaborate Mech?

We're redoing the model anyway so wouldn't mind hearing whats on your mind

Sgt. Redneck said:
Did anyone else notice it looks like they are in some HL1 map? Look at those old-ass textures.
Haha, post of the month ;)

You make my day!
thumb.gif

jheaddon said:
Care to elaborate Mech?

We're redoing the model anyway so wouldn't mind hearing whats on your mind

Well, simply look at the environment they are in.
Probably well over 90% of black mesa consists of underground and above-ground buildings made of concrete.
Therefore the desert camo would be useless to the soldiers over 90% of the time.

Also, the real-world camoflauge does not translate to a game model well at all. It looks like an inferior version of the joke "poop" camo from MGS 3.
Soldiers in Half-life wouldn't wear the (uglier) digi-print camo anyways, since the game was made in 1997.
It's easy to forget that.

The fact of the matter is that the Half-life models, beyond the polycounts, don't require an overhaul of that nature.
In the not broke/don't fix it philosophy, no big changes are needed at all.
Adding the glock as a sidearm works great (assuming they use it), and keeping the PCV and the basic costume like the PCV the same is admirable. But otherwise it's just change for the sake of change, which never works out well.

The half-life marines are clearly not normal marines, so trying to shove the design into that mould removes their originality.

Excellent observations from a single screenshot. Downloading now... I'll let you know if it stinks or not when I play it.

Mechagodzilla said:
Well, simply look at the environment they are in.
Probably well over 90% of black mesa consists of underground and above-ground buildings made of concrete.
Therefore the desert camo would be useless to the soldiers over 90% of the time.

Also, the real-world camoflauge does not translate to a game model well at all. It looks like an inferior version of the joke "poop" camo from MGS 3.
Soldiers in Half-life wouldn't wear the (uglier) digi-print camo anyways, since the game was made in 1997.
It's easy to forget that.
Based in 200probably3

Yeah, but obviously they had no idea what things would be like in the future.

Why not just update 2001 so that it depicts what actually happened in 2001? :p

Okay - I'm maybe two levels into the game and here's what I see (haven't loaded all weapon models or seen everything yet, so this is preliminary). The models do look better than the originals. The pistol is a little loud for me, but it reports with authority. I think the best thing are the sounds. The gonomes moan, "Kill me... help me" in an awful way, and I heard the Vortigaunt around the corner saying in an equally creepy way (nicely done), "I hear something..." However, I just got the shotgun, which looks nice (I prefer the beefier models myself, but it's not badly done) but the arms holding it are bad. Stretched out? Anyway, if you are an Opposing Force fan, this is a fun replay (so far), but mostly for the sounds. The new models, while an improvement over the originals, don't necessarily make the game entirely different. (We'll see the farther along I get).

STOP WITH THE REDUXES AND EVERYTHING AND RELEASE MORE NEW SINGLEPLAYER CAMPAIGN PLEASE!

Substance was bad but this is worse. Smod has to but the only good campaign enhancer.

I can, at last, download this soon. Seems pretty neat, even though I don't really like the gloves in the first person view.

News about patch.

The next version will be a while coming from the looks of things. End of Days needs to get stuff sorted out with his computer before he is back into the swing of things, leaving myself and a few supporters to work on the bugs and new content.

Some new changes are as follows:
-Different unique torso's for Hgrunts
-Gasmask lens are now additive (won't matter, you will see why)
-Chrome layer on gas task for Engineer is additive
-V model for Guass gun
-Matching headcrab skin with zombie
-Size of M4 w model

The above have been fixed and more are on the way. We should have some new media for you in our next update. More problems than whats above are being addressed and new content ideas are being explored.

- http://www.editor321.wlrgroupco.com/index.php

I must say, these guys really got some excellent sounds for the weapons imo. Even if they probably doesn't sound realistic they definitely got some real *BLAM* feel to them. My personal favourite must be the Desert Eagle, the Berretta coming close too.
I love the Gonome's new sounds, stuff like 'I schhmeeelll mmeeeat...' really gets you pumped up. :LOL:

Great mod though, you guys should try it out even if the grunts skins doesn't look too hot. :)

Mechagodzilla said:

Is that hint a good or bad thing. At least the BMS team is actually putting effort into the overhaul, Opposing Force Redux just looks tacky

Back