Opposing Source Media!

Dowie

Reaction score
quote: The long wait is over!
Comments (19)
July 28th 2005 - 20:10 (GMT)
We, The OP4Source Team are extremely proud and excited to bring you the first official Opposing Source media release. Over the last few months we have been working in secret, with very little contact with the broader Half-Life 2 community. We now, however, feel that the time is right to officially announce the Opposing Source total conversion for Half Life 2.

Opposing Source is a total conversion dedicated to recreating the first Half Life Expansion Pack -Opposing Force- over to the groundbreaking Source(tm) Engine. Not only are the graphics better, but the gameplay and maps have been enhanced to take full advantage of all that Source(tm) has to offer.

Check the media page for level shots, renders and a concept by Bates.

http://www.opposingsource.com/

How good of them to show screenies of Crush Depth, the best chapter in Opposing Force. Looking pretty good.

F**k Yeah!
This is being developed by some of the guys at Blackmesasource.com isnt it?

Ahhh... mmm...
I only wish modders were octopusses... that way the mods would be done four times as fast and I could be playing Black Mesa Source today and Opposing Source next month!

Jecrell said:
Ahhh... mmm...
I only wish modders were octopusses... that way the mods would be done four times as fast and I could be playing Black Mesa Source today and Opposing Source next month!

I'm not sure what that would accomplish. Wouldn't an octopus just sorta lay there on the keyboard and then die? Plus, you'd be one ugly and wretched mother****er.

Absinthe said:
I'm not sure what that would accomplish. Wouldn't an octopus just sorta lay there on the keyboard and then die? Plus, you'd be one ugly and wretched mother****er.

HAHAHA!!! :E When will BM: Source be completed anyway? 1-2 yrs?

they said something about mid 2007 in that german magazine

This is looking very nice indeed. Some of the textures seem out of place; I trust that they are placeholders. The addition of a small elevator next to the staircase in one of the shots is a very nice touch.

I must also say that I prefer the Opposing Source soldier model to the current BM:S soldier. I feel that it's more true to the original models.

Ageless Stranger said:
This is looking very nice indeed. Some of the textures seem out of place; I trust that they are placeholders. The addition of a small elevator next to the staircase in one of the shots is a very nice touch.

I must also say that I prefer the Opposing Source soldier model to the current BM:S soldier. I feel that it's more true to the original models.

They are indeed place holders.

hehe... "Dr Breen's Private Reserve" almost actually works, considering he is the Admin of Black Mesa. I think it's pretty likely that that's a placeholder. IMO, the steps near the Crush Depth teleporter need work. They look like someone copied and pasted the BSP on the original. TBH, I like what I see but what i'm seeing is merely "good". The ideas are a little too faithful, limited by the original maps and the stock textures / props of HL2. To be "excellent", a remake mod has to take the existing product and reinterpret it so it's still familiar, yet seems new and surprising, instead of being merely a good, high-definition version of the original.

impressive :)

Samon said:
How good of them to show screenies of Crush Depth, the best chapter in Opposing Force. Looking pretty good.

considering ur stance on Adrian Shepherd and OP4, what are u doing in this thread? :p lol
i had to ask.. ;)

Dr. Freeman said:
considering ur stance on Adrian Shepherd and OP4, what are u doing in this thread? :p lol
i had to ask.. ;)

I never said I didn't like opposing force :p

Ah, the classic samon aurgument "I liked OP4, It was a good expansion. But Shepard has no place in the further events of the HL universe" a stance I agree with.

back on topic these screens do look rather good. 2 things though, the marine appears to be lacking a PCV and wearing a kevlar vest in it's place and that the Desert eagle in OP4 was a .357 not a .45 (DEs only come in .357, .44, and .50AE anyway) these are small things that I can quite easily over look due to the shear coolness of what I have seen.

I love OP4 and this is a good idea and a good start, but the model renders remind me of one thing - the glaring absence of true curves and circles in Source based games/maps/whatever. I realize it might be to help increase framerate, but it really detracts from the immersion and should be an option for people with the ability to use it...

The grunt model is quite impressive, though. Is that supposed to be in-game or a render in a modelling program?

Tight-ass Llama said:
F**k Yeah!

Not quite, although they are being hosted at our forums and we are looking after them :)

We still have no estimate to our release, but this is their topic so lets keep it on track if you guys don't mind?

Lemonking said:
I wanna play nooooooowwwwwwwwwwww

I want you to stop posting nooooooowwwwwwwwwwww :p

But yeah, its looking good, especially want to see them implement the Ichthyosaurs. Yey.

What's with the wierd beeps on that site?
Getting them thru my speaker- NO ITS NOT MY COMPUTER

Dit- oh wait- tis just the buttons- excuse me :|

well i have been around the bm;s and os [opposing source] mod forums for a few months now and the maps, models, renders and all that stuff are work in progress ive seen lots of people saying the same thing as the guys here and the devs saying their wip's

but i think its good. i cant wait for bm;s and os

Are you working together with the guys of Black Mesa: Source, because otherwise you might do twice the work for some models and stuff.

We're consulting them, but at the current time we are not collaborating materials, however we may later in development

Tight-ass Llama said:
F**k Yeah!
No 2 different teams, although I believe they both have the same person working on secutity guards.
Late and wrong forum.

Um... I didn't know where to ask this, so here seems like as good a place as any.

Why do people hate Adrian Shepard? Whats this "Race X" I'm hearing about? I agree that Adrian had too little of a role in the HL universe to make it ok to re-introduce him, but I don't see a reason to hate him...

the marine render is insane!!!

my.php

Back