Orange Box Trailer by Valve

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Our very own Samon, received a little video from Valve this week showing off their new trailer for the Orange Box which you may see around in the coming weeks. This highly unorthodox trailer can be viewed below. It really has made that kind of impact![br]
<object ><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9b5AKhRBHow"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9b5AKhRBHow" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" ></embed></object>​

Thats kind of cool. Doesnt show any kind in-game action though which might confuse

Nice trailer.... shame it sucks at actually advertising the product as alll of valves adverts seem to do.

People will be like! OMG THE WORLDS GONNA END!!

Then be like, no wait, I gotta buy this box.

It may look okay aesthetically, but it fails with advertising the product I think. It doesn't really have any connection to the game other than throwing the box in right at the end. I wish they had something that represented the games more.

Meh. It really fails to advertise the product. Simply flashing the cover of the game after a rather pointless video of an asteroid is not going to make people want to buy the product.

If they're going to advertise, they need to come up with something better than that.

Wow failing hard on this one Valve. Fail on the level of HL for the Dreamcast fail. It's kinda sad that Valve gave the "ok" on this ad too. It represents nothing at all and is very long for a tv ad.

I couldn't help but look critically at the fact that the asteroid was was clearly covering much more ground than what you saw when it showed the RV/trailer, it was practically revolving around the earth yet it was always in the view of the trailer. :-/

W/e, cool vid, hehe...

It put a smile on my face, but thats because i know what it is. I hope they make a trailer like Halo 3's CGI one or some insane ACTION trailer, then people will be like wow!

rofl, it reminds me of those adverts for 3G mobile, now all they need is a cherry singing "Baby please dont go"

that was shit! even the climatic impact had nothing to do with anything! Valve stick to making games and not advertisements ;)

Just take like 4 seconds of actual gameplay from each game, for a total of 20 seconds, and you've got something that actually has content, as opposed to this meaningless string of scenes.

Awesome, really good production values, to bad its only apparent what its advertising till the very end, am i missing something in terms of the significance of a meteor??

Reminds me of Lee Mack's take on french perfume adverts:

"WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT? WHAT DOES IT ****ING SMELL LIKE?"

:LOL:

Yeah...if I didn't know about Valve or HL, I'd be wtf. Also, any notice the noise from the meteor coming down was sounds from the bridge in ep2 collapsing heh?

Is it me, or is the meteor covered in crates ...

At first I thought that it was going to talk about the story in HL or something or talk about the game, but then realized that a crater really had nothing to do with HL's storyline.

I guess it's semi-cool, but not that great of an ad for the game at all. :-\

Who knows though, perhaps the intent of the ad is to spark curiosity. You know how that JJ Abrams movie trailer didn't explain a thing about what was going on, but people still went nuts over it. If that is what they are going after though, even then it fails. The movie trailer allowed people to infer what the movie was somewhat about. If people were to do the same with this, they would be like "Oh, crater impacting earth? Cool." which isn't in any of the games.

Reminded me of that scene from Men in Black when the cockroach spaceship landed on earth. Complete with isolated, country bumpkin house n' all.

Pff, I thought it was going to some kind of hint as to the combine's arrival or something. But no, it's just... shit.

Apparently advertising isn't Valve's thing. After all, we're talking about the same people who ok'd this (the art I mean):

orangebox_360.jpg

:x

Gordon uses alot of gel in his hair, I just noticed.

I'd actually prefer a completely blank, orange box, with a little companion cube in the middle, or maybe a crowbar too.

I really hope this is a fake :/ For a 1:30 second ad, they should of just done the TF2 meet the character videos or something.

I really hope this is a fake :/ For a 1:30 second ad, they should of just done the TF2 meet the character videos or something.

Winner!

Seriously, just put those on TV, maybe shorten them a smidge, and you are golden. This meteor ad was pretty pointless... you need to capture someones attention, and a full minute of something floating lazily through space is going to prompt people to change the channel before they even know what its about. Aside from that it wasn't even all that climactic.

Is it me, or is the meteor covered in crates ...

Yes, they were HL2 supply crates, and the red/orange shrapnel clearly represents Portal, and there are three celestial bodies representing three new games, and I'm sure that once it's in HD and not on blurry-ass Youtube we'll be able to see what the TF2 part is as well.
It's the same kind of thing as it was with the first commercial; I hated it and that dumb voice at first, but now I've played it and I love it, especially that dumb voice. It's like they make commercials for people who have already played the game as some kind of sick, twisted "thank you for playing." It's a pretty captivating commercial in my opinion, and if they want to spend a little money making me feel cool and in-the-loop then I appreciate it.

So, uh, off topic but, if Valve wants to us to "be" Gordon and not see him in the game, why do they allow him to be on the cover?

This ad barely convinces a HL fanboi...imagine what potential customers will think. :rolleyes:

Seriously, that CGI movie idea or TF2 classes clips would be much better. Maybe 6-7 seconds from each class trailer with a distinct notice at the bottom 'REAL-TIME RENDERING' and then kicks that awesome music from Ep 2 with motion blur, DOF, soft shadows and maybe a bit CGI. Finish the ad with a blood splatter on the glass leaving a stain '10-10-2007'. :thumbs:

OMG! The meteor is the G-MAN!!!!

... but seriously, what was that?

fail..

i have nothing more to say. I thought it was actually showing scenes from the 7 hour war..

also, the light level of the asteroid fluctuates from dull glow to bright light, back to dull glow, and the breaking apart looks like it's made of rainbow sherbert.

Back