origin of the name "City 17"

G

GenocideOwl

ok, so recently at csnation I read that Gabe said the HL2 plot was based on the short story "The Mist" by Steven King, so naturally I had to find details about this

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1065

the first paragraph gives something kind of odd
"A brief plot: a strange and deadly mist takes over the small town of Bridgton, near Long Lake, on 17th of July."

that just stood out to me like a sore thumb
any other thoughts?

CITY 17 and various other cities in real life were fake cities made by the russians prior and during world war 2 to help twart the enemy.

this, ladies and gentlemen, is called coincidence...

the name city-17 comes from the ACTUAL city-17, in southeast russia

:dozey: This could mean that City 17 is equivalent to July 17. The Combine could be equivalent to the deadly mist

Some survivors take shelter in a Federal market, but discover they are not safe inside, because the mist is not just mist - it's alive and after them!

The survivors could be equivalent to the rebel forces, who take shelter in different places, but it turns out it aint safe no more 'case the Combine found them out. "The mist is not just mist- it's alive and after them!" The Combine are supposed to be something like City 17's enforcement, to keep the people "safe". The Combine aren't just there to keep people "safe", maybe they are after some other crap and also they are probably aliens!

If anyone has read the book please post about it.

Reaperman said:
this, ladies and gentlemen, is called coincidence...

the name city-17 comes from the ACTUAL city-17, in southeast russia

Crap I agree with that more than City 17 = July 17. Just saw his message after I posted my previous one.

You know what? My birthday is June 17th. Coincidence? I think not.

:cheers: If it isn't coincidence what is it? OMG you're a Half Life 2 developer aren't you! Tell us everything you KNOW!

Uh, didn't they find map co-ordinates for a place near the Caspian sea from that whiteboard picture?

i have red "The Mist" and it is great story, but ending is also great. Aliens wins, humans lose... no hope left.

hl2 is not influenced by 'the mist'. the first half-life was slightly inspired by the story.

So I just got myself the book. and it starts like this:

This is what happened. On the night that the worst heat wave in northern New England history finally broke-the night of July 19-the entire western Maine region was lashed with the most vicious thunderstorms I have ever seen.

Did anyone else download the text game that was on the link in the first post?

Is it the same as the book more or less?

the book is written like diary of one man who survived alien massacre (at least first few weeks)... it has open ending, so its not clear wethever is he survived or not...

I've read half through the book and so far it's still the 19th, not the 17th...

I'm done with the entire book. It takes place from the 19th to the 23d. No 17 anywhere.

Case closed.

CreamOfetus said:
hl2 is not influenced by 'the mist'. the first half-life was slightly inspired by the story.

You guys kinda disregarded this^^

HL1 was inspired by 'the mist.'

ok enough with "the mist' this is thread called city-17...

any new ideas about it?

It's the 17th place to be taken over by the combine, and they're not very creative?

Just a thought.

Back