Original game (HL) questions!

I'd tell you where I found that stuff about the reactive plastic, but I can't remember. It was either New Scientist, or somewhere on the web. Try looking up "electroactive polymer", or something like that, in google. Sorry I couldn't be any more of a help.

Edit: Oh, yeah, and those Vortigaunts are fanatical little buggers, aren't they?

Seeya.:E

Actually, I thought the satellite wasn't for communication, but was some part of the plan that Lambda was cooking up to stop the attack from Zen. Likely something to do with the teleportation gear.

Allo, allo, allo!

My thread got shifted!

Oh, well I would have said it was pertinent to HL2, seeing as both things discussed will be *in* HL2.

Oh well...

Seeya.

Originally posted by Direwolf
Actually, I thought the satellite wasn't for communication, but was some part of the plan that Lambda was cooking up to stop the attack from Zen. Likely something to do with the teleportation gear.

Yeah. You're right too. It was one part of a three part teleport triangulator, or something like that.:E

Seeya.

Originally posted by Brian Damage
I'm not sure if that's the real name for them, but I read somewhere (New Scientist, I think) about a plastic-like fluid being developed that gets harder when electrical current is run through it. Apparently, in a few (or more) years, that kind of thing will be able to stop bullets. It is power efficient, as you only need to power your armour when its first layer detects a hit. The plastic stuff becomes hard as steel in less than a millisecond.:)

Seeya.

I read about that in New scientist. They were saying that it could be used in the place of break pads and such in cars. Not only would the plastic stop the wheel moving, it would aslo lubricate it.

Technology is getting quite cool now :)

i read on other website that electroreactive polymers could be used for artificial muscles, so maybe the armor use that to increase the strenght of the user a little

i just remembered that freeman can drown, so... i dont know for the helmet.. :/

Thanks for finding that, Warlord. That's the bunny. Apparently the polymers will eventually be multifunctional. They will function as muscles *and* armour *AND* a medical system.

The people who created Battletech were using the idea of artificial muscles years before it was mainstream science though, weren't they. They called them Myomers. Scientists now call them Myopolymers, I think. Prophetic, eh?

Also, I forgot to mention something: The US DoD (Department of Defense) is currently working on actual suits of power armour (not the hyper-advanced nano-armour mentioned in the article you found, but more like Stark's suit from the Iron-Man comic. Except more realistic). When I say working, I mean that they have contracted out research grants. The different teams are using everything from hydraulics to myopolymers. One even wants to use what sounds like a lawn-mower engine in a back pack mount to power it. Another wants to integrate combustion motors into the joints themselves.

The DoD don't actually say that they are tring to create power armour, instead thay are making a "powered exoskeleton to enhance troop mobility", or something like that, but one of the mentioned sub goals of increasing a soldier's strength is to allow him to carry more ballistic protection and larger weapons (read "Armour Plating" and "Canned Whoopass"). The future is big and stompy.

On a side note, what do you think of the idea of a material that uses kinetic energy from pressure/impact to actively resist that pressure/impact? Such materials exist, though I cannot for the life of me remember what they're called. Col-something, I think.

Whew. Seeya.

we are truely engineering our own destruction...

sorry, I had to :D

Originally posted by Brian Damage
Thanks for finding that, Warlord. That's the bunny. Apparently the polymers will eventually be multifunctional. They will function as muscles *and* armour *AND* a medical system.

The people who created Battletech were using the idea of artificial muscles years before it was mainstream science though, weren't they. They called them Myomers. Scientists now call them Myopolymers, I think. Prophetic, eh?

Also, I forgot to mention something: The US DoD (Department of Defense) is currently working on actual suits of power armour (not the hyper-advanced nano-armour mentioned in the article you found, but more like Stark's suit from the Iron-Man comic. Except more realistic). When I say working, I mean that they have contracted out research grants. The different teams are using everything from hydraulics to myopolymers. One even wants to use what sounds like a lawn-mower engine in a back pack mount to power it. Another wants to integrate combustion motors into the joints themselves.

The DoD don't actually say that they are tring to create power armour, instead thay are making a "powered exoskeleton to enhance troop mobility", or something like that, but one of the mentioned sub goals of increasing a soldier's strength is to allow him to carry more ballistic protection and larger weapons (read "Armour Plating" and "Canned Whoopass"). The future is big and stompy.

On a side note, what do you think of the idea of a material that uses kinetic energy from pressure/impact to actively resist that pressure/impact? Such materials exist, though I cannot for the life of me remember what they're called. Col-something, I think.

Whew. Seeya.

yeah i saw that too when i was looking for power armors when i was playing tribes 2 ^^

i dont know about the kinetic thing :/

HOLY SMEG!

Thread resurrection!

I thought this one was finished and dead.

Oh, and Warlord, I think the word I was looking for was "Colloids". I'll look it up when I get time.

Seeya.:E

Back