Overacting a problem?

F

fragnemesis

have any of you noticed that the added emotion in the characters, while revolutionary in scope, can tend to be seen as a bit of overacting? I'm talking mainly about the emotions conveyed by Alyx in the E3 demo. Sure, you can tell exactly how she's feeling, but you could actually do the same without quite as much expression.

I know that the charactars incorporate a wide-variety of emotions, but I don't know exactly how they are executed in the game. Can you, say, set a character to act "scared" and the source engine properly demonstrates a predefined animation for "scared", or do you have to tweak each facial feature and body movement each time you want that emotion conveyed?

Anyone have any idea how these emotion characteristics that that psyche doctor guy (sorry, forgot his name) created actually work?

there are presets for facial expressions in the same way there are presets for model animations(crouching, running). but of course you can create your own facial expression. and when it is triggered, the face will smoothly transition to that expression. this can be intertwined with model animations as well.

I see what ya' mean... but I don't really know enough about it to tell you enough accurate information. Sorry.

Also, they stated that they turned the emotion factor WAY up for the lab E3 video.. the people behind that technology thought it was corny, but everyone who saw it was like "Turn it up, turn it up!"

Shuzer, thank god! Exactly what I was wanting to hear!

So the emotional effects are scalable, apparently, yay! I can't wait for this game

I remember hearing that as well. The emotional reactions were turned up to make more of an immediate impact for the demo.

Yeah, Gabe mentioned it somewhere in the info thread.
He even made a Spinal Tap reference, saying people told them to "turn it up to 11!"

the psyche doctor wasn't the guy who made the program, it was simply his research from like 30 years ago or so that the halflife guys based their emotion technology on

yes there is a video out there they released which shows the facial expression sliders at work hehe

its a very very very sweet setup. I cannot wait to see the hl2 sdk heh.

Originally posted by killahsin-[CE]
yes there is a video out there they released which shows the facial expression sliders at work hehe

its a very very very sweet setup. I cannot wait to see the hl2 sdk heh.

0o0o0, where is this so called video?? id definately like to see it.

Originally posted by fragnemesis
have any of you noticed that the added emotion in the characters, while revolutionary in scope, can tend to be seen as a bit of overacting? I'm talking mainly about the emotions conveyed by Alyx in the E3 demo. Sure, you can tell exactly how she's feeling, but you could actually do the same without quite as much expression.

I know that the charactars incorporate a wide-variety of emotions, but I don't know exactly how they are executed in the game. Can you, say, set a character to act "scared" and the source engine properly demonstrates a predefined animation for "scared", or do you have to tweak each facial feature and body movement each time you want that emotion conveyed?

Anyone have any idea how these emotion characteristics that that psyche doctor guy (sorry, forgot his name) created actually work?
i would like to see you in front of a giant alien and see your non.exagerating expressions in your face

Back