Overclocking

Reaction score
Right, I have just overclocked my Athelon 1.5Ghz up to a 1.6Ghz, with no real temperature increases :E :).... I've got the overclocking bug now, and want to Overclock my GeForce 4 MX420 (yes, I know its crap :p). Any advice? :)

Just keep incrementing the clock and memory speeds up bit by bit. Once you start to notice black or coloured spots (artifacts) appear in your games, tone the core/memory speeds back down again until the artifacts stop.

I say to do it bit-by-bit because if you do it in big steps, there's a risk of overheating it and causing serious damage.

Yeah, I increased the CPU speed 1 mhz at a time, but where can I go in the BIOS or CMOS to overclock the card?

Originally posted by mrBadger
Yeah, I increased the CPU speed 1 mhz at a time, but where can I go in the BIOS or CMOS to overclock the card?

Well, most cards have this overclocking option by default.. should be under Desktop Properties>System>Advanced, or somewhere around there. Find your graphics card settings, there should be an overclocking option in them.

An MX420? Those don't even have fans, danger! But anyway, when i had mine, i overklocked it with fantastic 10Mhz :p

I got loadsa system instability from overclocking up a full 100Mhz (140mhz FSB.... from 133mHz) made a 1.5Ghz up to a 1.6Ghz. Muchos faster, but makes my Breed beta demo crash loads :(

I have decided to keep the MX420 at normal, cos I found out they don't have a fan... thanks A.A :cheers:

i was overclocking my cpu, but it kept locking up on me. I probally need to bump the voltage up.

Yeh mine kept locking on Breed.... annoyence.... does bumping the voltage up help, I would have thought that it would be the heat that causes computer freezing.

Heres what ive done with these throB's Ive got up words of 2.3 but wasnt stable on prime burn'n test so i dropped back to 2.0

AMD 1700@ 2. JIUHB 0302 (166/12)air
Epox 8rda+ 1.1
2/256 Corsair xms3500 (11-2-2-2)
ATI 9700pro
Antec 380ps
Sony 24/12/48
LIan case
Sony e540/b 21.

THe cpu was 49$ and is equal to a 2200xp that cost alittle over 120 at that time. So with luck and a good stepping you can get a 20% improvement depending on your m/b, cpu and ram.
gl

edit:
Has for oc your card your gain isnt going to be much unless you into water cooling. PLus theres not muchof a difference if running at 4x aa and 6-8xaf with oc cause you'll only see about 10-15 more fps, which wont matter if you have a 15-17inch monitor thats got .24-26 dot pitch.

Indeed. Well, I bumped up the Athelon to about 1.8 Ghz, but it was WAAAAAAAAY unstable, and I exceeded my shutdown temperature. Btw what is a good shutdown temperature?

(this is turning into the Overclocking FAQ :p)

Well, I'm encounteriung some problems with an install, could heat from overclocking damage cd's or cause things to work slower?

(more newbie Overclocking questions :) )

Originally posted by mrBadger
Well, I'm encounteriung some problems with an install, could heat from overclocking damage cd's or cause things to work slower?

(more newbie Overclocking questions :) )
Overclocking can cause ANYTHING! Exactly anything and everything. Usually (for graphics cards) its just artifacts... For CPU's its burning the motherboard :)

OK, I had gone mad with the overclocking... I dropped it down, and everything worked fine... to a more sensible 137Mhz on the FSB :).... now UT2003 installs :) :)

Back