Oxygen, Poisonous?

Originally posted by Game_Ender
Over 70% of the worlds CO2 is absorbed by algea in the ocean. Rainforest don't convert a very large percentage, although we do need to stop the cutting down of rainforest in underdeveloped countries.

I don't want it to drag this too far offtopic, but hey were already 100 km offtopic :p, but there is reason to believe that forests like the Amazone actually produce more CO² than they use.
Because the Amazone contains many very old and large tree's, who barely grow anymore. And if they don't grow, they don't need to make glucose out of sunlight and CO². But at night the actually produce CO² when the sun is gone and they still need energy besides fotosynthesis.
So it is far more effective if you use young tree's.
Or am I seeing this wrong?

Originally posted by PvtRyan
I don't want it to drag this too far offtopic, but hey were already 100 km offtopic :p, but there is reason to believe that forests like the Amazone actually produce more CO² than they use.
Because the Amazone contains many very old and large tree's, who barely grow anymore. And if they don't grow, they don't need to make glucose out of sunlight and CO². But at night the actually produce CO² when the sun is gone and they still need energy besides fotosynthesis.

Yes you are seeing this wrong, just because it doesn't 'grow' doesn't mean it doesn't require energy. There are many reasons which i can't go into right now, but just think about it.

Originally posted by Animal
Yes you are seeing this wrong, just because it doesn't 'grow' doesn't mean it doesn't require energy. There are many reasons which i can't go into right now, but just think about it.

Yeah it's just a theory I picked up somewhere on the internet. But does the CO² intake - CO² emission ratio stays the same the whole life of that tree?

no, the CO2 intake far outweighs the emission (if any), during photosynthesis the CO2 combines with ribulose bisphosphate in the light independent reaction, this creates phosphoglyceraldehyde, which the plant uses to produce all it need.

Now, the part of photosynthesis where the oxygen is produced it during the initial stage where molecules of H2O are broken down. Liberating the oxygen.

I might not know that much about computers but when it comes to biology, i do know my shit!:cheese:

Okay, um, guys, if everyone needed gas masks in Half-Life 2, you would see everyone using gas masks. But you don't. The resistance faction / barney / scientists / alyx / etc. so far have not been wearing gas masks even though they were clearly out in the open.

another one.
umm maybe you should read a few of the pages before u say ANYTHING PLS
we are dicussing why the combine wear it because it could be hazardous to them.
combine most probably isnt combine harvester but a combination u know of human and alien.
the mask are probably valves way of not wasting too much time making facial morph target for animation :p
probably a verry simple rite out in the open rason for it.

Yeah as animal said, plants are always producing CO2, but when they are photosynythesising they are taking in CO2 aswell and producing oxygen. So the net product is oxygen, and when not photosynthesising the net product is CO2.

Heheheh, read the last page or two then read the first post. Hehehe talk about off topic.

Originally posted by Lupus
Yeah as animal said, plants are always producing CO2, but when they are photosynythesising they are taking in CO2 aswell and producing oxygen. So the net product is oxygen, and when not photosynthesising the net product is CO2.

Heheheh, read the last page or two then read the first post. Hehehe talk about off topic.

I have to say... this is the most confusing thread I have ever read... although it is insightful :p And yea I dont know alot about Biological stuff, but it does interest me.

no, the CO2 intake far outweighs the emission (if any), during photosynthesis the CO2 combines with ribulose bisphosphate in the light independent reaction, this creates phosphoglyceraldehyde, which the plant uses to produce all it need.

Now, the part of photosynthesis where the oxygen is produced it during the initial stage where molecules of H2O are broken down. Liberating the oxygen.

I might not know that much about computers but when it comes to biology, i do know my shit!:cheese:

Thnx for clearing that up for me :D

Well if we keep cutting down the rainforests etc. At the same rate this will probably be true in a few 100 years.

well, considering that phytoplankton in the various oceans arouns the world make about 95% of the earths oxygen, i dont think we have to worry.

Originally posted by PvtRyan

well, adult humans dont grow too much, actually they pretty much wither away, but they still need to eat food. plants need to keep photosynthesising just to stay alive, to keep the life processes going.

Back