Pausing the game for screenshots

lordbotulor

Reaction score
I was wondering how one goes about pausing HL2 singleplayer so i can take screenshots for wallpapers. I tried first enabling cheats, then I used tried the "pause" command, and the "setpause" command, neither of which did anything. Well, acutually, when I tried just the "pause" command, it immediately after gave the message "username has unpaused the game", which leads me to believe that I may need to enable something first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think that if you actually do get pause enabled it will show in the center of the screen a little box that says 'Paused' in it.

Not 100% sure on this since I never tried it but one way to 'freeze' the game could be 'Host_timescale #', replace # with 1 to get the normal game speed, .5 to get half game speed and possibly 0 to freeze it. I have never tried to freeze the game though. If setting it to 0 wont work try setting it to a really low value like .01 where the movement is really slow.

Ah, the timescale thing works to an extent, but its good enough. I set host_timescale to .01, and everything goes really slow, including Gordon, so you don't even notice that he's moving. It works for what I need it for though, so thanks man.

Use "host_timescale 0; r_drawvgui 0"

Make sure you have "r_drawvgui 1" bound, or else you may have problems.

Back