PC Gameplay (Benelux) Review Summary

Reaction score
I've got PC Gameplay's dutch review of Half-Life 2 in front of me and since you're all crying for info and since I'm so bored, I will give you a summary of the most important things said in the review.

Let's begin at the end
As you may all know, the final score PCG gives is 90%. Quite strange compared to the 93% which they gave to FarCry. They have only two negative points about the game:

No real multiplayer
You will read more complaining about this in the upcoming reviews (or you already did). PCG is very disappointed that CS:S is the only multiplayer instead of HL2DM. I have never played HLDM, so I can't really judge this. I really liked the CS:S Beta and I can't wait to play the rest of the maps, but I can understand the real HLDM-fans who are disappointed. HL2DM with the gravity gun and the physics would be pretty cool and there will sure be a mod, making you able to do this (...but you can MOD it!).

AI squadmates are often in your way
Yes... a classical problem. Looks like even VALVe didn't found a way to fix this, but it's a small thing compared to the brilliance of the rest of the game.

Positive points
Yes, they're also positive, they're very positive.

They give 4 different positive points:
  • Brilliant way of using physics
  • Big variation of maps
  • Stunning ingame animations
  • Lots of original gameplay-elements

The Review
Now, let's sum the most important things up:

• Half-Life 2 is thé next-gen shooter, standing above Doom 3 and Far Cry.
  • The E3 2004 maps we've seen are in the game too, but they're a whole lot different. Some places are even totally different. The movies haven't even showed half of the game.
  • You will have to use physics to progress in the game; to reach specific places and to defeat your enemies. They write about a beach full of garbage and Ant Lions. When you touch the beach the Ant Lions will attack you. The only thing you can do is use the gravity gun to make an improvised bridge of garbage to cross-over the beach, without having the Ant Lions attack you.
  • The Hovercraft-sequence is so spectacular that it wouldn't be a bad game by itself!
  • AI of the combines seems to be great. They search for cover, try to flank you and even work together to get behind you.
  • There is a commander-button. With this button you can lead your group of allies to go to a specific location and to regroup. They have the same quality of AI as the human enemies, although in the small areas (hallways), your squadmates are often in the way.
  • Sometimes you can place automatic turrets to defeat enemies.
  • PCG played the game in 19 hours on Normal skill.

"VALVe has created a very original and innovative game in such a huge genre. Top notch!"

Description of screenshots
There are some cool screenshots on the 8 pages of the magazine but I will describe two of them which caught my eye.

Dog
In this screenshot I can see Dog (Alyx's huge pet) holding a car in the air. Next to him stands (I think, the screen is very small printed) Barney and in the distance I see a combine soldier. So it looks like Dog will fight with you during the game and he can do some pretty cool things I guess :)

Bridge
In this screenshot I see three combine soldiers standing on a bridge with wooden plates and supports. The comment says you can kill the combines or just destroy the bridge.

The CD or DVD included have some exclusive screenshots and an exclusive movie. This movie won't be posted online, since it is property of PCG. I think the screenshots will pop up soon :) I don't have a scanner, so I can't scan anything. You'll have to do it with this for now. Just relax before the whole storm of screenshots breaks loose...

wait.... they said hl2 was better then far cry, but they gave it a lower score?

Thx for the info.

I think they're biased though :E

How are the screens burning fish, any new characters/monsters unveiled?

the fact that a lot of people are dissatisfied with there not being HLDM shows that the reviewers know what drives gamers, thus they rewarded HL2 a bit lower.

To me, that confirms that the HL2 SP is really awesome, reaching that sort of score on its own

Burning Fish, dude,

It is great that you are sharing this with us but a summary of that review was already posted in another thread (see "Yep, it is (only) a 90! (PC Gameplay) scans included.").

Nevertheless thanks for the effort.

PlayingMantis said:
Burning Fish, dude,

It is great that you are sharing this with us but a summary of that review was already posted in another thread (see "Yep, it is (only) a 90! (PC Gameplay) scans included.").

Lol. Hell, I was bored anyway :p

SMT said:
Far Cry's multiplayer was quite unremarkable as well.

But hey, according to these guys it was "original".

In the mag, there's a little screenshot on which you see the new barnacles. They look very smooth...

its not just hldm fans that are disappointed. its fans of hl2 in general. im a diehard hl2 fan, i want as much hl2 as possible, i don't want hl2 to end when i stop sp. i want to relive the environments, weapons and characters in mp. those who wanted a hl2 themed mp are just bigger fans of hl2 content than those who don't.

I'm really curious for the reason they did not include multiplayer. Isn't the gameguide supposed to shed some light on that in a few weeks?

flupke said:
In the mag, there's a little screenshot on which you see the new barnacles. They look very smooth...

Yeah, but I couldn't really make them out. Look oily and slimy...

Did you see the crossbow? are those orange arrows?

Demolition man said:
every game with no MP should lose 10% off the score.

No wonder Zelda: OOT got 10/10s... :rolleyes:

don't blame me for that but a game should never get a 10. A game is never perfect.
And console games are rated different then pc games.

the reason there is no hl2dm is because there would not be new elements, but besides new graphics WTF IS CS SOURCE THEN :upstare:

Corn said:
the reason there is no hl2dm is because there would not be new elements, but besides new graphics WTF IS CS SOURCE THEN :upstare:

the presence of new elements is entirely up to those who make it. whos to say it wouldn't be more than just deathmatch. all the content in SP: locales, character types, vehicles, weapons have the makings for some very unique MP.

Some other stuff:

- HEV can contain 200 armor
- The leaping zombies are in fact headcrabbed dogs
- The first picture of the crossbow, it's pretty cool, big ass scope. More bulky than the first.
- HL2 will require an internet connection for a one time authentication with Steam.
- It also shows some barnacle's hanging from the ceiling
- HL2 can be scary as hell at times in Ravenholm
- The 'v' key is used to command NPC's, it's a nice addition but not really necessary
- PCGP calls the story pretty basic but it's being told in an amazing way.

And 90% is a pretty rare score for games in PCGP. This month was the first month ever where 3 games got 90% or higher.

Yeah, the crossbow arrows are orange, and the overall model looks kick ass with a scope and cool scope reflections.

The Barnacles look smooth and slimy.

The squad control is good, but it seems that PC Gameplay wasn't so impressed with it. The AI comes in your way in narrow places.

They speak VERY highly of the hovercraft level, literally want valve to make another game with that level (sunset one). Very impressed with the source engine.

Admit that it not only LOOKS next-gen but even has next-gen GAMEPLAY.

Feath said:
Both of them?

Are you kidding me? I used to play HLDM all the time when it came out. I had a blast fragging my friends. The reason people are so disappointed with HL2 not having its own MP...and on the other hand people rate Zelda:OOT so high...is because it's expected.

Every fps should have MP...no matter what if you ask me. I was really looking forward to messing around with physics in MP...having manipulator battles...playing catch maybe...whatever. I wanted to do it.

I know it can be modded in...but that doesn't mean HL2's score shouldn't be docked for it. You can't review a game based on the community's support for it. You base it on what the game is.

No HL2DM? Shucks, I was just HOPING for some boring multiplayer that is "neat" and never really attains anything beyond that. That is what we look for in HLDM, right? I mean, we should definitely cater to the 685 people currently playing deathmatch, instead of catering to the 70,000-100,000+ CS players on at any one moment.

If physics is all you want to screw around with, Sven Coop will be the game to play. Having HL2DM is just a waste in the end, though initially it might seem like something worth having.

poseyjmac said:
the presence of new elements is entirely up to those who make it. whos to say it wouldn't be more than just deathmatch. all the content in SP: locales, character types, vehicles, weapons have the makings for some very unique MP.
but the thing is, were going to be inundated with mp mods that contain hl2 environments, weapons, and similar situations for the next few years. i have faith in the community.

PCGP is really really disappointed for not having a HL2DM, it detracted so many points that it didn't even make game of the month. If it did have a simple DM mode, but with Source physics and maybe vehicles, it probably would have received the highest score ever they say (probably 96-98%, and that's really freakin high for them) because the singeplayer is just pure brilliance with genius leveldesign.
They took it so highly they dedicated a full page column to it, and they blame Valve for shoving all the work to the MOD makers and get away easy with a simple CS port.

I personally couldn't care less for HL2DM, but it would be nice if this heavy criticism is enough to inspire Valve to make a free update for HL2 with full MP.

This is where the opinions of PCGP and PCG differ, PCG see HL2 as a game with its origins in SP and not MP and are fine with CS: S and look forward to the mods. PCGP see the MP as a core component that made HL1 great, and they literally can't believe Valve didn't bother to make a MP.

I think it's a good review, and as always very objective (not afraid of giving heavy criticism) but they take that lack of MP too highly. But PCGP is very happy and impressed about the SP, and if they think it's impressive, you can rest assured that it's very very good.

PvtRyan said:
PCGP is really really disappointed for not having a HL2DM, it detracted so many points that it didn't even make game of the month. If it did have a simple DM mode, but with Source physics and maybe vehicles, it probably would have received the highest score ever they say (probably 96-98%, and that's really freakin high for them)
How is this possible when the score is basically 3 scores added together and only 60 points can be awarded for gameplay?

a game should never get a 10. A game is never perfect.

Man, am I tired of hearing this argument. No, nearly all reviewers agree that 10/10 or 100% doesn't mean 'perfect' in the sense you're talking about. It doesn't refer to the last game you'll ever have to buy, because it's so perfect, how could you ever want anything more?

What 10/10 refers to is a flawless game that wasn't rushed and had every part examined and polished before it was released (well-done sound/music, the best graphics seen yet, original gameplay, replayability, etc). In my opinion, the magazines and sites that rated Zelda:OoT this high were right in doing so. I played through the game several times and never ran into any problems or things they should have worked harder on. For it's time, it really was a masterpiece game.

-UnmarkedOne

PlayingMantis said:
Burning Fish, dude,

Yeah, but this was miles better.

Thanks loads Burning Fish!

U r da :afro: man :p

Corn said:

Shooting map objects with the gravgun is not a new element?

And they could probebly pull some more special tricks out of the sleeves of the physics engine then the few barrels and ragdoll physics you get now in cs:s ...

Did Pcgamer(US) release their new issue? the one with the HL2 review in it?

booogerhead said:
No HL2DM? Shucks, I was just HOPING for some boring multiplayer that is "neat" and never really attains anything beyond that. That is what we look for in HLDM, right? I mean, we should definitely cater to the 685 people currently playing deathmatch, instead of catering to the 70,000-100,000+ CS players on at any one moment.

If physics is all you want to screw around with, Sven Coop will be the game to play. Having HL2DM is just a waste in the end, though initially it might seem like something worth having.

DM is something fun for langames etc and its just normal there are less dedicated servers and players.
Also every game (wel not every game now anymore heh) has DM so the players what like DM are more spread out, while CS is only for HL (and ofcourse a few mod clones for other populair games)
And 3rd, Valve found DM good enough to create a DM classic earlyer.

Also I still think there is gonna be a HL2 DM but as mentioned, you can't reward a game for what it might be.

As for PCGP being biased, They had 2 huge previews and other specials so alot of people thought they would give a unwarranted highscore to the game.
So all the HL2 haters (yes those exist as well) lost that excuse by the lower rating as most expected.
And confirms their reputation of being undependant/not-bribed whatever you like to call it :)

hl1 & hl2 SP rulz...
hldm was good, but i didnt play it much...

Humm, really, I was expecting mags to say " HUGE SURPRISE"

And why can't Valve keep a secret ? We've been spoiled allready.

Back