PC Zone (Release Date)

MrD

Reaction score
This is directly from my new PC Zone, take from it what you will ...

September 30. I'm sure, like me, you've cleared your diaries, booked time off work, arranged to pack your partner off to a downmarket hotel and are looking forward to spending the entire week playing the most-anticipated game in the world. Because the game is going to come out on September 30, right? I was at ECTS (the UK's quaint model village recreation of E3) to meet up with Doug Lombardi, director of marketing at Valve Software, and find out. And, although I'd been specifically warned off the subject by a friendly PR person ("Mention anything about the release date and your interview will be terminated imediately."), I decided to take the direct approach.
"So, September 30 then?"
"Yep."
"Definately September 30?"
"Uh-huh."
"And the release date for Half-Life 2?"
"September 30."
"And the game's going to be released on the ...?"
"It hasn't changed since you asked me 10 seconds ago."
Damn, this man's good. And in fear of getting the bum's rush I decided to believe that, despite all the evidence to the contrary, the game will indeed be on the shelves on the specified date. And move on.

Sorry if this has been posted before. And sorry to PC Zone for ripping off their copyright (I'm sure they won't mind). Would have done a scan but I don't have a scanner.

Hehe, trust Zone to come up with the goods. I trust 'em. But do I trust Lombardi? Hmmm..... the plot thickens!

Yeah the 30th...but the only reason you all like pc zone now is because they gave you good news...if this had been a delay thread you all would've been all over pczone like a pack of wolves....fickle, fickle , fickle.

...but how can print magazines possibly believe that's true?!! Didn't they get Fragmaster's secret email??!!? ;)

Originally posted by GJaaGular
Yeah the 30th...but the only reason you all like pc zone now is because they gave you good news...if this had been a delay thread you all would've been all over pczone like a pack of wolves....fickle, fickle , fickle.

Fickle. I like that.
:cheers:

Originally posted by FatboyTim
...but how can print magazines possibly believe that's true?!! Didn't they get Fragmaster's secret email??!!? ;)

Yeah what the hell? They must have missed it!

That is true tho, I mean if he said that HL2 would be delayed, this thread would already be 20 pages long and full of flamage :flame:. But anyway Im happy to hear what he had to say, but you never know, something may have come up since then, but I am still rooting for the 30th :D

neat.

I like the sound of the interview, very....direct

they've also got a review and benchmark (PC Zone that is) scheduled for next issue.

Originally posted by frances_farmer
they've also got a review and benchmark (PC Zone that is) scheduled for next issue.

Yeah because their next issue is out in October. Even if they don't get the game reviewed the benchmark is definately due out then.

We already know that Mr. Lombardi stated at the ECTS that September 30 was the go date for Half-Life 2's release. This isn't exactly new information.

Thanks. That was a good read just for how emphatic he was. It just feels so solid.

Originally posted by Mountain Man
We already know that Mr. Lombardi stated at the ECTS that September 30 was the go date for Half-Life 2's release. This isn't exactly new information.

its new enough and interesting to see he confirmed it about 5 times. you couldn't get that from "doug lombardi confirmed blah blah . . ."

Originally posted by frances_farmer
its new enough and interesting to see he confirmed it about 5 times. you couldn't get that from "doug lombardi confirmed blah blah . . ."

That and it's funny that the interviewer asked him a number of times. It's like one of us interviewed him.

Wouldn't everyone like to go up to Gabe or Doug and do the same thing?

chew on that fragmaster!

:cheers: :bounce: :bounce: :cheers:

Uhm, how old is this interview? If its on magazine, its not that fresh info I think?

Originally posted by Reiska
Uhm, how old is this interview? If its on magazine, its not that fresh info I think?

Well the questions were asked at ECTS, which was August 26-28 as Feath mentioned earlier in this thread. So there ya go

Originally posted by spitcodfry
Well the questions were asked at ECTS, which was August 26-28 as Feath mentioned earlier in this thread. So there ya go

You are right, didnt notice that.

Back