PCGamer Reviews Crysis

Just got my copy of UK PC Zone who tend to more critical of games than most magazines and they've given crysis a score of 92% and pc zone gold award. A very good score from zone but bear in mind they gave HL2 97%.

Extreme reason for lower score spoiler ahead!!
Jut bought & read that myself. I think it was a very accurate review. A lot of the comments made were similar to the views the players of the demo were already talking about such as - The AI can be either incredibly smart or terribly stupid, mewntioning the occasions when your close to a vehicle with a gunner, they can't get an angle on you but they keep shooting anyway! This aspect of the AI could be so easily fixed. It's really bad that Crytek have allowed this sort of thing to slip through the net. You'd never get something this blatantly obvious & crap in a Valve game. They'd sort it out for sure. Shame on Crytek for letting in go.

As is it it doesn't work at all & Crytek should be ashamed of themselves for letting something like this slip through.

God forbid anything slips through to the free pre-release demo...

Btw, what difficulty setting you playing at?

Tbh I cannot recall one. I do not know why one would be issued anyway, as this discussion is relevant to the SP demo.

God forbid anything slips through to the free pre-release demo...

Btw, what difficulty setting you playing at?
But the game PC Zone have reviewed is obviously the full game. The problems with the AI are sadly apparent in that as well as they were commented on in the review.

I was playing the demo on medium but recently I tried again on Hard. One big difference I noticed was that in the medium setting you can drive the jeeps & also move & fire the mounted gun. On hard you can't do that. You have to man the gun. This completly changes the way you have to play, which is brilliant. On medium I'd happily drive along whilst mowing down the opposition with the mounted machine gun. In hard when I realised I couldn't fire & drive at the same time I decided to go on a kamikaze run along the beach. Not good! I ran one guy over from a party of 3. I then ran into another group of about 4 Koreans, who shot me to bits! Meanwhile the guy I left standing behind shot the oil canistor on the back of the jeep & blew me to kingdom come! :) Next go I stealthed along the beach tagging all on the binocs & taking my time with an asault. Crysis is awesome ... less for a few terrible glitches with the AI

Keep in mind, anyone who dislikes being able to operate the vehicle's gun while driving it can disable that feature through a simple config edit. The same goes for Koreans speaking English/Korean and so forth.

In the demo, I actually modded myself an invincible config, where all of my suit functions would just recharge instantly. Made playing around a bit more fun.

Keep in mind, anyone who dislikes being able to operate the vehicle's gun while driving it can disable that feature through a simple config edit. The same goes for Koreans speaking English/Korean and so forth.
It's more realistic not being able to use the gun & it makes the demo much harder - In medium with control over the gun you just hammer along the roads & ceaches mowing down everyone in your path!!

Be good to have the Korean's speaking Korean all the time though. I'd rather have that for whatever level your playing at.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I like playing on Medium/Normal difficulty in all my SP games, including Crysis, so I just edited the Medium difficulty config.

The amount of foliage this engine can handle is just staggering. I can see multiplayer jungle maps making for very interesting stealth gameplay.

And those volumetric light shafts and shadows with the trees falling through them are just... honey.

How do you do this?

Go to your Crysis config folder, then open your 'diff_<difficulty>.cfg' file. Now, there are tons of tweaks you can apply here to affect gameplay. I suggest you backup the original config file first, in case you forget what tweaks you made or whatever.

For no driver-controlled guns:
- change v_driverControlledMountedGuns to = 0

For tweaking your health/suit/energy levels, hit ctrl+f and enter '-- Player Health/Energy/Suit' to find that area of the config. Once there, all of the following 'g' settings are really straightforward. Just use common sense and play with different values.

The only thing I wasn't able to do was have no drain on my suit energy while cloaked. I'm sure it's possible to do, but the best I could come up with was having it drain as if I was standing still all the time, i.e., while sprinting, jumping, etc.

Enjoy.

Doesn't look nearly as good as the link, but still looks great. My vista had a hiccup, so currently I'm running in XP.

cryscrneg4.jpg

jeebus thats some nice looking..grass...so sedako Im assuming that you cant roam through all of that freely, or can you?

jeebus thats some nice looking..grass...so sedako Im assuming that you cant roam through all of that freely, or can you?

Yeah, as long as you can jump to it. Unfortunately you can't scale cliffs yet. :p

I didn't think I'd play a FPS as good as HL2 so soon. It took 3 years, but IMO Crytek tied Valve with this game. And people shouldn't focus on the graphics so much. It's the combination of the graphics, sounds, story etc that make it a GREAT game. Definetly a top 3 FPS ever made.

Definetly a top 3 FPS ever made.
Definitely not :O

It may be the prettiest game ever, maybe even the best playing game, but that story (and the final quarter of the game) just downright suck, because Crytek didn't spend time to develop it enough.

Definitely not :O

It may be the prettiest game ever, maybe even the best playing game, but that story (and the final quarter of the game) just downright suck, because Crytek didn't spend time to develop it enough.
Played it yet have thee? Thought not. I received an email from Play.com yesterday to say my copy had been shipped. Sweet ;) I'll see what that final quarter is like for myself. I estimate it will take me quite a bit longer to get to the final quarter of the game than it did getting to a similar point in HL2.

Got my copy of Crysis in the post today after Play.com sent an email saying it had been dispatched Thursday. That was quick! This is bloody good. I keep playing the same parts over & over becasue I'm enojying them so much. It's awesome. I've spent longer on the 'Recovery' level (attacking a village/KP outpost to try & locate a hostage) than I did the whole of Episode 2!! The replay value is just staggering. There are so many ways to approach each situation. I'm loving it. Just wish I had a mammoth system so I could turn everything up full. If I had the money I'd upgrade tomorrow just for this (despite the fact that I only built my current system a month ago!!)

Back