PCI support on older motherboards?

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a older motherboard from a dell computer (its about 2 years old now) that has PCI support, but I wasnt sure if there were different kinds of PCI buses. When I ran SiSoft Sandra (give lots of info on your computer), it said that it supports 1x 2x and 4x for data transfer modes.

However, when I look at Sapphires new x700 pro pci, it says that it supports "the latest 16x Lane PCI Express Technology". Does that mean that it will not function with my current motherboard, or are those 2 different things. Thanks ahead!

;) I believe x700 is ONLY for PCI- Express . Correct me if I am wrong. I dunno about PCI bus speeds.

Ahh so you mean that there are different kinds of PCI slots? Ill have to open up my computer to take a look at what kind if thats so. Any further help would be greatly apprectiated. I just knew that it was PCI and I have some type of open PCI slot.

Cyber$nake said:
Ahh so you mean that there are different kinds of PCI slots? Ill have to open up my computer to take a look at what kind if thats so. Any further help would be greatly apprectiated. I just knew that it was PCI and I have some type of open PCI slot.

PCI Express is the new technology, so you most likely do not have it. It's supposedly to replace AGP graphics in the near future. You don't have an AGP slot right? If not, maybe you should consider to upgrade.

PCI Express is completely different than AGP or PCI. It has a similar name but that is it.
Desktop PCs only have 1 type of PCI slot.

There is an advanced PCI-X (64Bit instead of 32Bit), which is backwards compatible with the standard PCI, for workstations and servers but no products for the Desktop market.

ok thankyou very much. No, I Do have an AGP slot, I just knew that these were faster and that card was like PERFECT for what I wanted. I wish there was a AGP version... :( Looks like Im going back to the 9800 pro

Back