Performance Issues After Patch

X

Xathius

After installing the patch(es) when trying to getting into CS: Source, there have been some REALLY bad performance issues when trying to play. The game runs all blocky and chuggy, and the textures just blurry and different. Has this happened to anyone else? Ive got a Nvidia Video Card (Geforce FX 5600, 256mb) and I never experienced these issues until this patch. Yes, I do have the latest drivers for my vid card, and im baffled. I tried turning all the graphics to the poorest quality, and it still made no difference. Any help would be apprieciated :)

-Xath

That's the latest Steam update for you. Valve is implementing HDR, and graphical problems is a side effect of that.

You'll survive until they fix it ;)

Have you made sure you've turned off HDR? Even though it won't affect anything graphically right now, it will force DX9 mode, which FX cards are notorious for hating.

i also have a xfx 5600 and am having the same performance problems..my frame rate is now around 10-15 with everything on the lowest setting. grrr it was playing the best its ever been the day before!! now what?!

Hmmmmkay, listen carefully- it's because HL2 is forcing it into DX9 mode.

If the box in graphics options for checking DirectX version is greyed, go to

Steam- Play Games- *rightclick* Halflife 2- Properties- Launch Options

and type '-dxlevel 8.1' without the quotes.

I get weird reflection and clipping problems ever since the update although it's not too common.

Reflections are purple and things tend to clip through more than ever.

Ever since the update on the 23rd, I can't run anything under the hl2.exe program. As soon as it starts to load, I get a Windows error saying that the hl2.exe has crashed. I don't know if it'd be related to your problem, but I would figure it does. If not, would somebody know of how to fix it?

I'm running a Nvidia 6800GT

Arf! need urgent help. CS Source just WON'T load past the menu screen (It doesn't load the icons- find servers, options etc). Steam Support isn't loading for me. Got a CSS match in 20 minutes, does anyone know how to fix it?

Steam support solution
Steam Support said:
For those using Firewall software, you need to manually re-add C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\username\half-life 2\hl2.exe to your exceptions list. Once the game exe has been updated on your Firewall you should no longer lock up at the Loading screen.

Other link
Steam Support said:
We apologize for any difficulty you may have encountered today, with the latest Steam update.

The issues you are seeing may be caused by a number of changes that were made with the latest Steam update.

Below are a few steps that we would like you to try:

Step One: Clean boot to free up memory. (This is especially important on machines that have 512mb of RAM)

When you start Windows, typically there are a number of programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the game. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean boot, you prevent these programs from starting automatically. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

To perform a clean boot:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
4. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes:
* Process SYSTEM.INI File
* Process WIN.INI File
* Load Startup Items
5. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
6. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Note: To restore your normal boot sequence, re-open msconfig and place a check in the items which you previously disabled.

Step Two: Try specifying a different DXLevel in Launch Options.

This update replaces any tweaks that may have been made to improve game performance.

If you are crashing or locking up when starting your game, go to the Launch Options for the game and add -dxlevel 80.

Finally, please make sure you have the latest patches for your Video and Sound card drivers.

If these steps do not improve your games performance, please click Ask a Question, describe the issue and the steps you have taken in your reply.

Steams suggestion to clean boot does not work. i have tried that. i have also added the changed program to my Zone Alarm Firewall, i have updated to drect x 9 c .
i am still unable to play DM even after the latest 27/9 update.
Only thing that i havent done is update ati catalyst driver (but i dont think it is necesary)
CMON STEAM. Pull your fingers out and sort the problem ffs

Only thing that i havent done is update ati catalyst driver (but i dont think it is necesary)
Well, nVidia brought out a patch that fixed it. Might as well try it

Back