Performance tweaks?

Homer

Reaction score
Ok, so I usually get roughly 60 fps when running around at 1024x768 with settings on medium with no aa or af, but once I get into any kind of combat or have people on screen I drop to 20-30. I've even tried bottoming everything out and I still get massive slowdown, with all settings at min and 800x600 rezolution I drop to 30 often.

My system should be able to handle this game just fine, because I see people with half the ram, the same cpu, and a 9500 pro talking about getting 100 fps on higher settings than me... so wtf? I just formatted, the system is well optimized, I just cant figure out what the hell is slowing me down so much.

my specs:
9800 pro 128mb
2500+
1 gig generic ddr333(on a dual channel board)
audgy 2 zs

try the omaga drivers they helped me but....i only turn the textures down to med for extra frames but could turn them back up and be ok...plus i am running at 1280x1024 and i have about the same system

Homer said:
Ok, so I usually get roughly 60 fps when running around at 1024x768 with settings on medium with no aa or af, but once I get into any kind of combat or have people on screen I drop to 20-30. I've even tried bottoming everything out and I still get massive slowdown, with all settings at min and 800x600 rezolution I drop to 30 often.

My system should be able to handle this game just fine, because I see people with half the ram, the same cpu, and a 9500 pro talking about getting 100 fps on higher settings than me... so wtf? I just formatted, the system is well optimized, I just cant figure out what the hell is slowing me down so much.

my specs:
9800 pro 128mb
2500+
1 gig generic ddr333(on a dual channel board)
audgy 2 zs

Wow, I get the same performance as you with the same settings and I only have a Radeon 9100pro with 512 MB of RAM. :O

this happens to me too, as soon as anyone starts shooting i get a massive slowdown. It only seems to occur for a few rounds then it stops, but for the first few rounds I will start to shoot at someone and then My game will almost freeze and then when it stops I am usually dead.

TheUnkillableDot said:
Wow, I get the same performance as you with the same settings and I only have a Radeon 9100pro with 512 MB of RAM. :O

well he is playing in directx 9 and you dx7? maybe 8 ?
ever thought of that?

I ran it in dx6 for a while, but I still got serious chop in the open areas like past the double doors on aztec.

I just put my 9800 pro at 405/350 in hopes of speeding thing up, and it did actually help some(scenes with lots of shaders are much faster now). I'm still running very slow for no apparent reason.

check for any programs running in the background i have an nvidia 5200 and i am getting better frames on the same steeings

I'm sorry guys but there is something way beyond all that u are talking.

I have a AMD 2600+, a 6800, 1gb RAM, Audigy 2 and MB Asus AGP 8x
I see ppl talking like: yeah I have a much better frame rate then u with lower hardware etc... but it must be something over all that.

Ok I have played with 130 fps several times in hl2 and in CS: S , in CS: S if I get close to a wall I might even get 250 fps, but this does not mean a thing. This is not my average frame rate.

Usually I have 70/90 fps in CS: S and something is not well optimized because if I turn the mouse around ( like closed to open spaces ) my frame rate can go from 40 to 120 this should not be for a start.

But let me tell you guys the main problem is in CS: S online, where (for who does not know) for a multiplayer game to be perfect you really need to have a frame rate never less then 40/60. Well I have 70/90 fps and when some sounds are played the fps drop to 30 sometimes 20 and back to 70/90 again, this is the problem, it seems to have something to do with sounds. Valve says that its not the sound, that its the agp textures bufer that are doing it, it might be but to me it allways happen when everybody starts shooting. Sometimes I enter a new room (nobody else there for instance) and the computer halts for a second to load the new ambient sound, I say this because right after the break it starts to play the new sound. I do not know if its the sound or not for what valve said but its all I can relate right know.

So the problem is that sometimes i'm getting fps peaks and it seems that they happen most with certain sounds and maps.

If I put my system to 800x600 with "everything" turned off I get the same performance as with 1024x768 everything Hi quality, 4x aa 8x filtering and vsync disabled. I have seen in the stress test and the diference is from 69 fps to 79 fps, nothing special this is not normal.
I know my processor is not the highest but I can not bealive that the game would be so much processor dependent.

I even saw a one guy's post with a P4 3000 and a 6800 Ultra with the same fps that I have, so there is something wrong with the game, this can not be.

So, I do not know if this problem is from nvidia cards only or from directx 9 or if it is from my system config, but I leave the last option out because I have seen more people talking about the same problem.

I hope valve fixes this problem soon, yes it must be their problem but if anyone can relate anything else please post it. I have finished hl2 and I had Hi quality settings even if sometimes the fps drop a bit because it was eye candy, but for CS: S all I need is a constant 60 fps, not 100 or 150 but please.... never a jumping 20/30 to 70/90.

maybe its a issue with the audgy 2, because that is also what I have(along with most top end systems).

turn off bump, spec, 3dskybox, aa, af, reflections, run it in 640x480

just a suggestion :p

Already tried it, its starting to seem like it has nothing to do with actually rendering the levels and everything to do with... well, I have no idea. Because it runs the same at high and low settings.

leg0 said:
well he is playing in directx 9 and you dx7? maybe 8 ?
ever thought of that?

I'm running it at Dx9. I've tried putting it down to Dx7 for performance reasons but it only raises my fps by 10. :(

I got AMD 3400+, Radeon 9800xt 256Mb, Epox 8HDA5J motherboard AGP 8x, 1Gb 400Mhz Kingston DDR and newest directx. When I play CS:S i got average 60/100 fps... so it must be in the game...

A friend of mine has had a few problems with this and he used the 'cl_smooth 1' (no quotes) command. It helped him a bit. Gd luck.

Similar problem over here on an 9800 pro athlon 2500+

Looking like it may be AMD based apart from one 3rd hand refernce to a pentium above somewhere.

It definitely seems that it's based around moving things in and out of mmeory and cards wether it's sound or gfx or both I can't say but it does seem to effect some more than others.

mojo it runs for me , same setup sam spec , its to do with your ram most likely , what speed ram u got? im running ddr2 pc5200

Stupid question but how to you find out the speed of your RAM? and what ddr it is?

it comes on the side of the packaging , or get a program like hot cpu pro?!

Didnt buy my memory seperate, but thanks for your help!

oh right i see , check it in your bios to see what mhz its running at lol , or download this program from here : http://www.memtest86.com/ will test you how fast it is and everything :D

I have the same problem, i have a Radeon 9800 pro 128 mb, and i'll get about 60 fps at 1280x1024 put as soon as another person (and it seems to be a non-teammate. Like if i'm a CT it's a T, and vice versa) comes on screen my fps drops drastically to 15-25 fps and there's this long freeze and i'm dead.

This is seriously handicapping.

I've tried runing it at 640x480 with everything turned down, but it still occurs

start --> run --> type dxdiag
go to sound, and disable sound accelration
hope that will fix it

avinet said:
start --> run --> type dxdiag
go to sound, and disable sound accelration
hope that will fix it

no it is not a sound problem, there are lots of treads for same problems with hl2, it is decopressing files so it shutter when it works..

CPU-Z says I have Dual Channel DDR2-SDRAM, 1024Mb, 199.5Mhz. Is it gd apart from the SDRAM bit?

EDIT: PC3200 ??

your cpu is the bottleneck, i have the same and my cpu is 2400 mhz, most of you that have this problem have a pc at about the same speed or below. this means that a guy with 9600 nd one with 9800 xt will have about the same performance even though 9800xt is a lot stronger,

i got an amd 3.2 768 a-data ram and radeon 9500 pro and i exprience the same problems..

Alot of games have a way of using a frame rate limiter so that it doesn't jump from 30 - 120, it will try to keep it a steady 45 or something, is there a way to do that in CSS and hl2?

Back