Pettition to the Mods/Admins...

Too bad there isn't a "mini-mod" system, where people like us could tempban people. Then the mods would be notified of who we banned and our reasons why... :thumbs:

Well, on the topic of moderators and censorship/banning...

Been there, done that. The moderators here are looking at a full time job, sadly. All I can say is that after ANY forum passes a certain number of users, it starts to degenerate like this for a while.

To the moderators: Do your thing. It won't make you popular, but it's necessary. If you think someone meeds to go, get rid of them. You do not have to explain your actions to the masses. (In most cases)

This doesn't mean you should stop hanging out and being sociable. Do your thing, and continue being the same people we've all come to like. You'll just be yourselves in a quieter, less incendiary setting. Most of us know, or can imagine, the irritation moderating some of these forums can be, and we respect you for taking the reigns.

:cheers:

if something like that could be coded, it would have to be based on things like postcount, and mod verification.

Otherwise we'd have headcrabs banning good members, and well...it would go to the crapper quite fast.

SubKamran said:
Too bad there isn't a "mini-mod" system, where people like us could tempban people. Then the mods would be notified of who we banned and our reasons why... :thumbs:

Yeah, we briefly tried that for a while once at a site. It's a lot more complicated than it seems, and people just seem to abuse it. I know.... it shouldn't be that way, but you get a group of people that just start "banning" someone for arbitrary reasons. We had a group that dubbed themselves the "grammar cops"...... yeah, your punctuation isn't up to snuff, they would ban.

Trust me, that isn't a good option. In a perfect world with sensible people... I agree with the thought. :)

The Mullinator said:
Its difficult not to reply when the goal of most sensible members is to keep the community clean, and that becomes increasingly difficult when it seems that every other new member comes in with the sole purpose of starting flame wars involving various topics.

If your goal is to keep it clean why do you btt the garbage?

I'm also active at the military.com boards. They have a "troll patrol" which consists of a number of people reporting trolls to the mods. Looks good on paper, but the troll patrols were quick to report any of those who doesn't agree with their views on Bush (VERY pro-Bush forum. Kinda sucks) Also the mods there aren't likeable. They are absolutely mean and rude to new members whereass they will look the other way, or even contribute to the flaming if theres a pissing match between a veteran and a new member.
Point is: censorship can be good with the right people maintaining and upholding it.

Sgt_Shellback said:

Okay Sgt_Shellback, no offense, but I can't really follow that. What is btt? If it's a typo, okay. If it's not, then I have no idea what that stands for guy. I'm old and tired, go easy on me, hehe.

Beast206 said:
Yeah, we briefly tried that for a while once at a site. It's a lot more complicated than it seems, and people just seem to abuse it. I know.... it shouldn't be that way, but you get a group of people that just start "banning" someone for arbitrary reasons. We had a group that dubbed themselves the "grammar cops"...... yeah, your punctuation isn't up to snuff, they would ban.

Trust me, that isn't a good option. In a perfect world with sensible people... I agree with the thought. :)

No, I mean, the mods make useful people "tempban OK" people. We're not MODS but we can tempban people :D

Beast206 said:
Okay Sgt_Shellback, no offense, but I can't really follow that. What is btt? If it's a typo, okay. If it's not, then I have no idea what that stands for guy. I'm old and tired, go easy on me, hehe.

Back To Top... The guy said it's difficult to not reply to something that angers/offends (My words not his)...

Like I said earlier... Best way to handle trolls is not take the bait...

BTW - I'm old too...

SubKamran said:
No, I mean, the mods make useful people "tempban OK" people. We're not MODS but we can tempban people :D

you can't give the masses any sort of power. we're lucky to have the report post option. i don't think this tempban system would work at all. it'd just be abused.

Dedalus said:
you can't give the masses any sort of power. we're lucky to have the report post option. i don't think this tempban system would work at all. it'd just be abused.
well, he did specifiy more trustworhty people, not the masses. guys who've been around a while and the mods trust or whatever. I'd say tmpban powers would still be abused if someone snapped or left or whatever, so yeah. not a good idea probably.

SubKamran said:
I know what you mean SubKamran. That's just what we tried. :) I don't know how to explain it guy. Power just affect some people the wrong way. Even the people we trusted would find subtle loopholes on occasion and abuse it.

There really isn't a better solution than just reporting gimptards that I've seen. If the moderators get enough on an individual, they'll handle it.

[edit] thanks for clearing that up Sgt_Shellback, I should have known that. Damn alcoheimers is flaring up again. ;)

I have a feeling this place will either make the moderators a whole lot more busy or become suddenly relatively understaffed in about a month or so. :)

Champ said:
I'm also active at the military.com boards. They have a "troll patrol" which consists of a number of people reporting trolls to the mods. Looks good on paper, but the troll patrols were quick to report any of those who doesn't agree with their views on Bush (VERY pro-Bush forum. Kinda sucks) Also the mods there aren't likeable. They are absolutely mean and rude to new members whereass they will look the other way, or even contribute to the flaming if theres a pissing match between a veteran and a new member.
Point is: censorship can be good with the right people maintaining and upholding it.

Another thing that can be good is not letting some pimple faced geek sitting in his undies in his mom's basement anger you because he said something different than the rest of the sheep.

Seriously though... How can anyone be bothered by a forum post? It's beyond me...

Sgt_Shellback said:
n the rest of the sheep.
I resent that

sujtsheelbak said:
Seriously though... How can anyone be bothered by a forum post? It's beyond me...
some don't appreciate racism, spoilers, flaming, and useless moot cluttering up the forum. I don't like wading through ten pages of shit to get some decent posts by decent members. look at the steam forums.

CyberSh33p said:
I resent that

some don't appreciate racism, spoilers, flaming, and useless moot cluttering up the forum. I don't like wading through ten pages of shit to get some decent posts by decent members. look at the steam forums.

You cursed... Are you the first to go?

Edit: Why did you assume yourself to be the sheep?

Sgt_Shellback said:
I think immaturity sums it up well. It becomes a challenge to them somehow. They are insulted (or whatever) in "public", then feel the need to defend their forum coolness. :rolleyes:

People are weird critters. They say stuff on a forum that they KNOW would get them knocked out in the real world. *shrug*

Sgt_Shellback said:
You cursed... Are you the first to go?
its not a censored word, I felt it was the best descriptor, and you're just avoiding the rest of my post.

edit for your edit: it was a joke. cybersheep. get? har har.

Sgt_Shellback said:
Some people do make it worse but most people really do try to put a stop to it. It either has to be the members who try to stop people from flaming or the moderators, and since you don't seem to like the moderators doing it (censorship) then it has to be the members.

Of course you should also realize that if no one does anything then the flamers and trolls basically inherrit the forums.

So if you don't want the moderators doing anything and you don't want the regular members doing anything then what should be done to keep these forums clean?

Beast206 said:
I think immaturity sums it up well. It becomes a challenge to them somehow. They are insulted (or whatever) in "public", then feel the need to defend their forum coolness. :rolleyes:

People are weird critters. They say stuff on a forum that they KNOW would get them knocked out in the real world. *shrug*

Exactly...

CyberSh33p said:
its not a censored word, I felt it was the best descriptor, and you're just avoiding the rest of my post.

I didn't see a question for me to answer in your post... I commented on what peeked my interest... Ask away if you want me to address soemthing specific.

Beast206 said:

sure, but a crapload of trolls and useless posts saying "me too" are just annoying on a forum. we don't need em, why tolerate em? again, look at the steam forums. or gaia online ffs.

edit: spelling nazi time: its piqued, not peeked.

CyberSh33p said:
sure, but a crapload of trolls and useless posts saying "me too" are just annoying on a forum. we don't need em, why tolerate em? again, look at the steam forums. or gaia online ffs.

edit: spelling nazi time: its piqued, not peeked.

It's easy to not be bothered by it... Just hit the BACK button a few times.

Okay CyberSh33p, now you have me confused mate. Did you mean to respond to me? Sorry, I'm just confused here at this reply guy.

Sgt_Shellback said:
It's easy to not be bothered by it... Just hit the BACK button a few times.
and ignore the forums entirely, great, you just defeated their purpose.

no one wants ten goddamn pages of completely useless BS, insults, other stupid crap like that. I'm glad we have moderators to get rid of that, ban trolls, all this stuff. you seem to like that so much, why don't you go to a different forum?

edit: I perhaps misunderstood your post or something, but you sounded like you were on the side of shellback with his "just let the spam stay" point of view.

Gotcha... I was just giving my reply as to why people MAKE [edit] not make, but rather reply to stupid flame posts. I don't thing the Sarge is saying they should stay, I just think he's making a comment to the effect that people take it way too seriously, and are personally offended by it. (I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm way off base)

I think it's idiotic, and needs to be deleted, and the user dealt with, but I also agree that a lot of it stems from people getting way too worked up over it, and adding to the flames instead of simply reporting the crap. *shrug*

P.S. yo CyberSh33p.. what's this "Yuri's ducks" you refer to in your sig. It's bothering me, hehe.

Beast206 said:
Gotcha... I was just giving my reply as to why people MAKE [edit] not make, but rather reply to stupid flame posts. I don't thing the Sarge is saying they should stay, I just think he's making a comment to the effect that people take it way too seriously, and are personally offended by it. (I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm way off base)

I think it's idiotic, and needs to be deleted, and the user dealt with, but I also agree that a lot of it stems from people getting way too worked up over it, and adding to the flames instead of simply reporting the crap. *shrug*
yeah, trolling is bad and taking the bait is equally bad. thats where all the problems stem from. at least most of the regulars should know by now not to take flamebait and just not respond, or respond calmly and such.

CyberSh33p said:
and ignore the forums entirely, great, you just defeated their purpose.

no one wants ten goddamn pages of completely useless BS, insults, other stupid crap like that. I'm glad we have moderators to get rid of that, ban trolls, all this stuff. you seem to like that so much, why don't you go to a different forum?... (sic)

I see you are being bothered and somewhat angered with my opinion and ideas on this particular subject...

I suppose this is the point where you think I should be banned instead of you simply ending your discussion with me? <-- This is what I think is silly about this thread from the beginning...

I'm enjoying the debate and discussion... And I've done so without losing my cool, cussing, or telling someone else to leave.

CyberSh33p said:
yeah, trolling is bad and taking the bait is equally bad. thats where all the problems stem from. at least most of the regulars should know by now not to take flamebait and just not respond, or respond calmly and such.
Its always fun when you respond calmly and the flamer isn't experienced enough to know how to deal with it, so they just keep throwing insults around hoping to twitch a nerve.

Sgt_Shellback said:
no one wants ten goddamn pages of completely useless BS, insults, other stupid crap like that. I'm glad we have moderators to get rid of that, ban trolls, all this stuff. you seem to like that so much, why don't you go to a different forum?... (sic)

I see you are being bothered and somewhat angered with my opinion and ideas on this particular subject...

I suppose this is the point where you think I should be banned instead of you simply ending your discussion with me? <-- This is what I think is silly about this thread from the beginning...

I'm enjoying the debate and discussion... And I've done so without losing my cool, cussing, or telling someone else to leave.
lol, no one says you should be banned. I think you have just assumed that because you have a different opinion from other people here that automatically they will hate you.

The Mullinator said:
Its always fun when you respond calmly and the flamer isn't experienced enough to know how to deal with it, so they just keep throwing insults around hoping to twitch a nerve.
Heh, I have no nerves left to twitch. :)

The Mullinator said:
lol, no one says you should be banned. I think you have just assumed that because you have a different opinion from other people here that automatically they will hate you.

Sorry I messed up my quotes up there...

I agree with you probably more than you think... What amazed me about this board when I first came to it was the large number of posts whining about other people and asking for mod intervention... I see a place and time for mods to get invloved but I think people should try harder to intellectually defend themselves or stop listening to the ones they are bothered by first.

Anyway this was a good round... I have to head home. Thanks for sticking in there...

Sgt_Shellback said:
Sorry I messed up my quotes up there...

I agree with you probably more than you think... What amazed me about this board when I first came to it was the large number of posts whining about other people and asking for mod intervention... I see a place and time for mods to get invloved but I think people should try harder to intellectually defend themselves or stop listening to the ones they are bothered by first.

Anyway this was a good round... I have to head home. Thanks for sticking in there...
For when/if you get to read this post:

It does seem like that yes but I have noticed this site seems to be in a constant cycle. For a month or two people say there is too much moderator intervention and that they need to give people more freedom, then its followed by a long silence where public complaints are minimal, then suddenly things take a turn for the worst and suddenly everyone is calling for the moderators to take more action and get more involved, thats followed by another long silence and the cycle starts all over again. It really is fascinating to anyone who is interested in how humans function with each other in communities that don't have many of the limitations that real life communities have.

As for people trying harder to defend themselves and ignore those who bother them there is only so much that can be expected on any forum, especially a gaming forum with as many members as this one. It truly is unfortunate but its just the way things are.

I'd just like to point out, moderators do not have the power to ban, thats us Supermods, and Admins :)

Oh, and thanks for the kind comments :)

ComradeBadger said:
I'd just like to point out, moderators do not have the power to ban, thats us Supermods, and Admins :)
So that's why that button never works for me... :hmph:

Well, glad you're here then. Apparently Gabe Newell announced on the other forum that they're trying for preload again tonight. I'd call in reinforcements. hehe. :)

Beast206 said:
Well, glad you're here then. Apparently Gabe Newell announced on the other forum that they're trying for preload again tonight. I'd call in reinforcements. hehe. :)
yeah :|

Sarge, your argument just seems completely illogical to me. You've said you don't like moderation, in effect, and that forum members should be left to figure it out themselves. that doesn't work, it just leads to flaming and annoyance. you don't like it, I ask why you are here. logical argument, I'd say. overall you've seemed to ignore every point I made and make a comment about somehting trivial.

CyberSh33p said:
yeah :|

Sarge, your argument just seems completely illogical to me. You've said you don't like moderation, in effect, and that forum members should be left to figure it out themselves. that doesn't work, it just leads to flaming and annoyance.

It works for me... I can't be flamed... Why? I don't let this stuff bother me... Good advice for everyone else.

you don't like it, I ask why you are here. logical argument, I'd say.

I'm here (I came here) to confirm some choices on new hardware before buying... Checked out the OT and thought this thread seemed the most interesting... After reading som 5-6 pages and knowing that I had a different view then most people I expected to have some good discussions about it. We did..

overall you've seemed to ignore every point I made and make a comment about somehting trivial.

Here I've tried to address your comments point by point... Hope that helps...

Sgt_Shellback said:
It works for me... I can't be flamed... Why? I don't let this stuff bother me... Good advice for everyone else.

Its not even about flaming. It doesn't bother me either, I don't care what someone thinks about me 3000 miles away. what it does do is clutter the forums. makes it harder to read the coherent posts. which is annoying. I don't want to read 3 pages of "me too" "u suk" and "this thread sucks". You can't exactly ignore that cause its present. Its annoying because its irrelevant and adding extra pages of crap.

Sgt_Shellback said:
I'm here (I came here) to confirm some choices on new hardware before buying... Checked out the OT and thought this thread seemed the most interesting... After reading som 5-6 pages and knowing that I had a different view then most people I expected to have some good discussions about it. We did..

alright

Sgt_Shellback said:
Here I've tried to address your comments point by point... Hope that helps...

thanks

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34430

I probably should have been punished for adding to the uselessness of that recent thread, but im fed up. The amount of idiots around here is climbing and climbing fast. Who has a name that is their specs, posts their FPS, says their going to buy hl2 two times for really no good reason at all, and then acts like they dont know whats going on. All the while, they keep asking for the specs used to run the bink, when its clear it doesnt even matter anymore. Since the CS: source beta there have been several benchmarks posted (a new one is on anandtech i might add). If you dont know what is needed to run HL2 by now, you need to get out.

I apologize to chris for my behavior, and i thank him for not temp banning me. Hopefully you might see why my attitude is a bit sour right now.

Back